What's new

4 weeks into flower twisted leafs starting

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Any ideas what this is ?.
Room Rundown.. ph with pen bluelab 6.2 touch on the high side .ph with aquarium strips showing as 6.0. just knocked it down to 5.8.
12 samsung quantum boards about 3 foot above canopy on full power.
fan 16inch close to some, on others about 6 foot away. still showing this.. rh varies no less than 40. rh highest 60. temperature in room lights on 25 to 30c. lights off maybes down to 20 now a bit cold outside pulling cool air in. Just emptied both reses and filled back with water ec now sitting at 0.8 a lot low on nutes.. Do you think I should back it higher or leave it where it is for a few days??. it looks like a ph thing but im thinking could it be to much intense light but then again at that distance im unsure,,, plants look ok only thing is the leafs,,, smells lovely in the room. all canna nutes and canna calmag. but I did also notice the ec had not changed in 5 days so got me to thinking possible lockout or something along those lines or maybes a sweet spot any help and advice would be appreciated and these are stardawg cuttings not seed thanks guys if I missed anything just shout I will add and answer.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

DarthFader1

Veteran
Hey there,

I've seen this before in my otherwise healthy plants but never got to the bottom of the exact cause. One thing i do know is aphids will cause twisting similar to this but many different things can cause this twist

I was also considering environment, pH etc

Question: Have you ever seen this before with this strain or any other strain in this room?

Have you considered it might be bugs causing that leaf curl? Either in your medium or on foliage. Your leaves look clean but some bugs are near impossible to see without a scope. If i was you id be scoping the shit out of my plants both the medium and the foliage to at least eliminate that as an option.

Subbed for other ideas.. Good luck brother!

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for this advice DarthFader1. Upon reading your suggestions I did exactly that.. I checked under the twisted leaves and a few others nothing even under the microscope,, and to be honest I thought checking the media would be near impossible as in clay pebbles, then with your suggestion thought yes check what comes out of the pebbles into the res but to be honest thought it would be a waste of time as just changed the water today, but as you say to narrow the odds down I did just that,, and to my amazement saw these ugly little things. Had to get them on a spoon and then microscope them they are tiny and a few of them in there too got this photo looks like the bigger one next to the little one was feeding it or something after doing more reading it looks like springtails, they are floating about in the res on top of the water looks like a few dead ones too im guessing the filters in the res will collect the remaining dead ones but these ones I scoped are deffinitley alive im guessing these would not damage the leaves if they are springtails by what I read any pointers guys chime in.

picture.php
picture.php

Did not see that Q ..As far back as I can remember with this strain in the room or any other as far as I can remember no but cannot be 100 percent sure..

Last edited:

KingCobra66

hello mate they are springtails not much of a problem nothing to worry about really can you remember them blueberrys they went the same way as your leafs done no damage to final yields so again not a big problem personally I would not worry just keep a close eye on them cute little critters :biggrin:

Mr. J

I think sometimes a crowded canopy can do that. Like, when the leaf is small and developing it's squished up against a stem or another leaf, and when it gets big that's what's leftover. Kind of like how when you were a kid and you made a funny face and your mom told you to stop it because if you didn't, it might stay like that.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Try backing off the nutrients a wee bit? May not help the twisting leaves, but your plants will be a bit happier. :) They look seriously healthy, just a bit too dark green.

Good job! :D

Bmac1

Veteran
They dont look bad at all. I find that some plants are MG whores and that bit of leaf crinkle is usually the first sign they want some epsom salt. I do this dance constantly with gg4.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
They dont look bad at all. I find that some plants are MG whores and that bit of leaf crinkle is usually the first sign they want some epsom salt. I do this dance constantly with gg4.

I felt sure you were going to use calmag. Mg is a mobile element I have not associated with distorted growth before. I expect different signs. This looks like Calcium to me. An immobile element, so you won't see fully formed leaves giving anything up, but they can grow with distortion.

It could be Mg still, as you have found. Mg is at the heart of everything, but I would expect to see it being pulled out for use in new growth pretty soon.

CalMag would satisfy both, but a high feed level is looking likely. Which effects the uptake of both as an early sign. I think due to sodium buildup, but it's of no real concern.

Is there a run-off EC to be looked at? Perhaps a sample drawn from the rootzone directly if you want total accuracy.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys but aint long to go on these so will just wing it from here onwards it did not get any worse from the photos and only have a couple of weeks or so left to go so no worries cheers guys.:tiphat: