What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethics in seed distribution = doing it right.

I see that the 10 seed pack is the standard with people offering packs of 5 and even down to 1 seed. Pack sizes larger than 10 seem to be rare.In my opinion this is a disservice to the community.

The way commercial producers looking for keepers and Old timers like Tom Hill describe the keepers pop up around 1 in 20. In some lines it might be more like 1 in 25. What ever the situation it should ne determined at which ratio keepers are found AND particular phenos.

That is the information that should be used to determine pack sizes.

the first pack size should be the the ratio at which a keeper is found x2 to account for male female seeds + 20% to account for poor germ rates, user error etc. then rounded up.

So a 1 in 20 keeper ratio minimum pack size should be rounded up to 50 seeds. We'll call this pack 1 or the gamble pack.

Then a formula should be applied. I saw someone do the math for a 1 in 11 pheno and it was determined that 4 packs of 10 seeds would give a >99% of finding the pheno. I'm going to round up to a 4x multiplier to determine the seeds pack size. I'm also going to add a 20% seed buffer to account for poor female to male ratios, or germ rates or simple user error. Then rounded up.

(number of seeds a keeper shows up x 2)4 +20% = pack size

so a 1 in 20 keeper ratio >99% pack size should be 200 seeds for regular seeds.
We'll call this pack 2 or the keeper pack.

The next pack size should be based on finding a particular pheno. Lets say there is a 1 in 20 keeper ratio but there are 4 main keepers. So it should be based of the ratio a particular pheno shows up which is 80 seeds.

(number of seeds to find a partular pheno x 2)4 +20% and round up= pack size

so for a 1 in 20 keeper ratio with 4 main keeper phenos the pack size should be 800.
We'll call that pack 3 or the preservation pack.

So let's say pack 1 is 250 then make pack 2 = 600. I even think 600 is over priced for a keeper pack I think keeper packs should be between 200 and 400.

What this does is incentivize people to invest in an >99% chance of finding a keeper. When someone buys seeds they should be on a search for the keepers, nothing less. When people do not find keepers it ruins the supply chain for the end user. The point is to get every grower keepers of the varieties they decide to grow. That way the supply to end users is diverse and full of keepers where the determining factor becomes how well grown and cured the end product is.

It also ensures that when someone invests in seeds they have enough seeds to properly maintain a line without bottlenecking it ensuring the survival of thousands of years and many many generations of hard work and selections that went into those seeds. If you are not doing this, you greedy f****, then you are basically disrespecting and outright destroying the hard work of everyone that came before you and everyone to come after you that might need man's domestcation of ferel hemp into something sacred, a medicine for the ails of mankind.

Last edited:

capnCõno

10 has always been a set standard for regular seeds... sometimes u may get a few extra but that’s it.. some places they sold breeders packs of large numbers if you knew where to look but 10 is the common number.... there never was a limit on how many packs you can buy... if your buying sumthin exotic or a line that has fire but u have to dig .. just buy as many packs as possible... there is no rule that says every pack has a keeper ... but just adding more seeds to standard packs charging the same as a 10 pack ain’t right .. ppl who generally complain over shit like that didn’t do enough research on what they buyin... or did and took a shot looking in a single pack and failed... sure it be great if seed packs were sold with more seeds ... be also great if they could guarantee a keeper in 10 but it’s still seed and u never know mang... you could find your gem in the first seed popped or you may not find it in a hundred plus... been on both sides of that shit ... basically all I’m saying is if the line is known to need a lot of seeds and is advertised that way just buy multiple packs!!!!! If u can’t afford it u got 2 choices 1.like i said prior Take a chance on what u can afford to run hoping for the best it only takes one seed or 2.dont but any and get sumthin that is more reliable

10 has always been a set standard for regular seeds... sometimes u may get a few extra but that’s it.. some places they sold breeders packs of large numbers if you knew where to look but 10 is the common number.... there never was a limit on how many packs you can buy... if your buying sumthin exotic or a line that has fire but u have to dig .. just buy as many packs as possible... there is no rule that says every pack has a keeper ... but just adding more seeds to standard packs charging the same as a 10 pack ain’t right .. ppl who generally complain over shit like that didn’t do enough research on what they buyin... or did and took a shot looking in a single pack and failed... sure it be great if seed packs were sold with more seeds ... be also great if they could guarantee a keeper in 10 but it’s still seed and u never know mang... you could find your gem in the first seed popped or you may not find it in a hundred plus... been on both sides of that shit ... basically all I’m saying is if the line is known to need a lot of seeds and is advertised that way just buy multiple packs!!!!! If u can’t afford it u got 2 choices 1.like i said prior Take a chance on what u can afford to run hoping for the best it only takes one seed or 2.dont but any and get sumthin that is more reliable
I'm pretty sure Sacred seeds sold seed by the kilo it's the greedy f***'s that came after only thinking of themselves.

capnCõno

I'm pretty sure Sacred seeds sold seed by the kilo it's the greedy f***'s that came after only thinking of themselves.

Ya they did but it wasn’t available to anyone and it wasn’t cheap either ... you would get a wholesale deal but it was still spend some serious money for the time back then... lots of ppl today do large discounts if u want to buy a grip of seeds if you contact them... the main problem is all the vendors out today doubling the price to make there’s ... now some breeders are scrum charging 200-500+ for a pack ... I don’t disagree with ya the seed business was always seedy now it just got a lot more help goin into shit with monetary inflation , the internet , and legalization allowing ppl who never had the balls to be in the game in it now acting like they are revelant and run the show .... if you want to blame someone for this shit goin on today blame the ppl who voted to legalized it...

capnCõno

plus most ppl don’t want to grow a hundred seeds they expect every seed to be a winner ... so making large packs for cheap will most likely be a waste...

TheDarkStorm

Schwinn...your right if you have to search through multiple packs for a keeper it should be made clear how many realy need to be brought to at least give you the chance at a few good plants to pick a keeper out of....in all honesty I would rather get from someone who says I only need one pack of say 10.. an in it il find a good few keepers..from which I can pick one to suit my own tastes....but those days are long gone an seem to be a rareity nowdays....I dont see many people who want to waste ther time, money, electric an nutrients on growing hundreds of mediocre plants to find one...

plus most ppl don’t want to grow a hundred seeds they expect every seed to be a winner ... so making large packs for cheap will most likely be a waste...

I disagree, and I accidently liked your post:biggrin:, selling pack sizes that don't contain a very high percentage chance of finding a keeper leads to people settling for "keepers" a sort of shysters keeper to imply they have been shysted into believing what they have is a keeper because they didn't do a proper selection. I'm not saying it is their fault for believing what they have is a keeper either but it doesn't make it a true keeper either.

They've been shysted into believing they should do a selection with 10 or 20 seeds which is really a cultural practice. The 10 seed pack and the culture that surrounds the 10 seed pack where people post things that lead people to believe they should find a keeper in a 10 seed pack leads people to believe every seed should be a keeper.

The belief that every seed should be a keeper puts pressure on the people that make seeds to do a single selection and just outcross that to elite cuts, which is the selection work of others, because it increases the chances of finding keepers in less seeds.

Change the cultural paradigm with larger pack sizes and a trend of digging through the seeds to find a keeper and that can change.

Once people see others saying it took them 20+ female seedlings to find thereal keeper and that the others, while perhaps good, weren't the real fire people will begin to doubt their own selections from smaller seed packs. That leads to them wanting a seed pack that reflects those intentions. If seed suppliers are offering those packs and giving clear directions on how to find the fire within them backed by third party testing the culture will change. Everyone wants the fire, everyone.

In reality most growers don’t have the space for more than 10 seeds.

Then they keep popping them until they find the real keepers. it's simple.

They just have to understand that, that is how the process works and that anything else is settling. Which needs to be reflected back to them by the community to encourage it as a cultural practice.

TheDarkStorm

Its already changed...the days of buying one pack an finding multiple keepers seems to have gone out the window...people dont have unlimited money to flush down the pan...if you went to a shop an kept coming back with crap food an say dont wory keep going one day you'll come back with good...other people will think your do-lally...

mexweed

Veteran
Subcool had larger packs too

I have seen a section on some seed sites where it says 'bulk'

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
if i buy a 10pack from a 'breeder', i should find at least 1 keeper - but unfort most of the 'breeders' out there are nothing more the 'pollen-chuckers' - i can chuck pollen, but i'd prefer with my limited space to buy/grow 1st class genetic's... sadly over the years and spending mucho $$$ , i have found few...very few actual breeders.... if i have to name one... then a shout out to 'nirvana'... and at a buck or two a seed they put to shame the 'breeders' they copy... (hear me sensi, mr nice, and others ... your seeds... SUCK..

capnCõno

Could care less about likes or dislikes I’m new here lol ..not gonna start giving two shits who likes my posts or not .....

Now every pack should have a good chance for a keeper .. good plants and a great representation in a worked line should be easy to find ....exceptional legendary type plants aren’t common no matter how many seeds you run In your life ... the only way you know if u really found a true gem is if it is around 20 yrs later great smoke comes and goes historical shit earns its spot in the books ... your truely lucky if you find even find one let alone 2 in ya life ....
that’s in worked lines with years of designer work

What’s popular atm Random f1 or s1 crosses it’s up to you to research and make a decision.... research and run who you trust... but with untested Just released projects It’s a crapshoot never know what’s gonna come up...

n some lines it’s advertised it ain’t gonna be easy some a bit or research will tell you that.. they ain’t makin shit up it is what it is u want to fuck around with wild genetics or a mix of them or sumthin crosssed to them and expect sumthin easy your Fukin crazy...

Be honest .... it’s not like ppl force ppl to buy anything.... honest truth is stupid ass newbs want to grow cuz it’s legal ....see archive dosido seeds for 200 and joes for 45 ...buys joes and don’t find a keeper and complain hate on dosido.... do some good research and you will find keepers in a pack with many guys.... or do some research and decide if you really want to run numbers if it’s even possible for you... then if u Want to get multiple packs....
as long As shit is as advertised by a respectable source u get what u get

10 seeds is standard for years ppl like you are why they sell 16 oz cans of soda... nuthin will be good enough....

DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!! DON’T TRY TO SAVE EVERY SHEKEL!!!!! and....DON’T ACT LIKE A BITCH BITCHEN BOUT A 12oz BOTTLE OF BEER!!!!

Stop being a whiny bitch .... buy some good seeds make ya own and complain call that duechbag all day he can help you with ya problem...

Eat a c o c k smart ass this thread ain’t gonna last long ...

Thanks made my night lol

capnCõno

Its already changed...the days of buying one pack an finding multiple keepers seems to have gone out the window...people dont have unlimited money to flush down the pan...if you went to a shop an kept coming back with crap food an say dont wory keep going one day you'll come back with good...other people will think your do-lally...

It’s still there just way more hack jobs out there with marketing skills and Instagram..

J-Icky

I don’t know so much that people used to find at least one keeper per pack. What people would consider a keeper back then could very easily be considered nothing special today. The standard has changed and so has expectations.
It can also vary by grower and smokers. Some will think the strongest is the keeper while another could think the one with the best taste or smell would be the keeper over the strongest.

Getting 10 seeds or 1000 doesn’t really matter, especially in today’s market full of pollen chuckers and flavor of the day clone only “strains”. If you expect to find anything like that clone only “strain” in seed form you’re just setting yourself up for disappointment. There’s a reason there’s so many clone only “strains” and it’s because they all come unstable polyhybrids and crossing them with other unstable polyhybrids is creating something that could have an insane amount of phenos.

capnCõno

if i buy a 10pack from a 'breeder', i should find at least 1 keeper - but unfort most of the 'breeders' out there are nothing more the 'pollen-chuckers' - i can chuck pollen, but i'd prefer with my limited space to buy/grow 1st class genetic's... sadly over the years and spending mucho $$$ , i have found few...very few actual breeders.... if i have to name one... then a shout out to 'nirvana'... and at a buck or two a seed they put to shame the 'breeders' they copy... (hear me sensi, mr nice, and others ... your seeds... SUCK..

I know you know a little research you can make a seed purchase and still be happy... hit up the homies who made it past the Dutch nistolgia era but were solid no fakes huhuhuhu swerve crew ... good seeds are out there just so many bullshit want to be guys out now... easy choice .... nspecta or joes bubba your choice ... seed gss as me turned into blind mechanics!!! Stick with the trusted guys

capnCõno

buy from respectable sources I don’t know so much that people used to find at least one keeper per pack. What people would consider a keeper back then could very easily be considered nothing special today. The standard has changed and so has expectations.
It can also vary by grower and smokers. Some will think the strongest is the keeper while another could think the one with the best taste or smell would be the keeper over the strongest.

Getting 10 seeds or 1000 doesn’t really matter, especially in today’s market full of pollen chuckers and flavor of the day clone only “strains”. If you expect to find anything like that clone only “strain” in seed form you’re just setting yourself up for disappointment. There’s a reason there’s so many clone only “strains” and it’s because they all come unstable polyhybrids and crossing them with other unstable polyhybrids is creating something that could have an insane amount of phenos.

Much more guys everyone is a breeder seed maker creating a clusterfuk... if you want sumthin solid it’s out there..
as far as what’s a keeper I agree all subjective always was but limited options back in the day it’s USA now but tons of wannabe ass hats jumped on the legal train has to come into play.. the homies who were consistently there who are left r still doin there thing just most are just waiting for it to burn out.. some are capitalizing still in puttin out fire ... not gonna name names but they there..
personal preference and keeper status varries but good shit is good shit n can be found ... all my old family purps were potentially keepers yet none actually made it to this year...

Raho

Veteran
I see that the 10 seed pack is the standard with people offering packs of 5 and even down to 1 seed. Pack sizes larger than 10 seem to be rare.In my opinion this is a disservice to the community.

The way commercial producers looking for keepers and Old timers like Tom Hill describe the keepers pop up around 1 in 20. In some lines it might be more like 1 in 25. What ever the situation it should ne determined at which ratio keepers are found AND particular phenos.

That is the information that should be used to determine pack sizes.

the first pack size should be the the ratio at which a keeper is found x2 to account for male female seeds + 20% to account for poor germ rates, user error etc. then rounded up.

So a 1 in 20 keeper ratio minimum pack size should be rounded up to 50 seeds. We'll call this pack 1 or the gamble pack.

Then a formula should be applied. I saw someone do the math for a 1 in 11 pheno and it was determined that 4 packs of 10 seeds would give a >99% of finding the pheno. I'm going to round up to a 4x multiplier to determine the seeds pack size. I'm also going to add a 20% seed buffer to account for poor female to male ratios, or germ rates or simple user error. Then rounded up.

(number of seeds a keeper shows up x 2)4 +20% = pack size

so a 1 in 20 keeper ratio >99% pack size should be 200 seeds for regular seeds.
We'll call this pack 2 or the keeper pack.

The next pack size should be based on finding a particular pheno. Lets say there is a 1 in 20 keeper ratio but there are 4 main keepers. So it should be based of the ratio a particular pheno shows up which is 80 seeds.

(number of seeds to find a partular pheno x 2)4 +20% and round up= pack size

so for a 1 in 20 keeper ratio with 4 main keeper phenos the pack size should be 800.
We'll call that pack 3 or the preservation pack.

So let's say pack 1 is 250 then make pack 2 = 600. I even think 600 is over priced for a keeper pack I think keeper packs should be between 200 and 400.

What this does is incentivize people to invest in an >99% chance of finding a keeper. When someone buys seeds they should be on a search for the keepers, nothing less. When people do not find keepers it ruins the supply chain for the end user. The point is to get every grower keepers of the varieties they decide to grow. That way the supply to end users is diverse and full of keepers where the determining factor becomes how well grown and cured the end product is.

It also ensures that when someone invests in seeds they have enough seeds to properly maintain a line without bottlenecking it ensuring the survival of thousands of years and many many generations of hard work and selections that went into those seeds. If you are not doing this, you greedy f****, then you are basically disrespecting and outright destroying the hard work of everyone that came before you and everyone to come after you that might need man's domestcation of ferel hemp into something sacred, a medicine for the ails of mankind.

Are you really, really high Schwinn?
This post is absurd.
The majority of people buying a pack of seeds expect them all to grow up to look exactly like the picture the breeder includes with the description.
They don't get that, but it's what they expect.

Genetics is complicated and most seed buyers don't understand it, and don't want to.
People today have no idea how the things they rely on every day work.
Cell phones, cars, refrigerators . . .
Most people under ~25 probably have a hard time making a fire without an accelerant.

Your entire manifesto is based on the idea that the average cannabis seed customer expects things to be like you do.
They don't.

The people on ICmag are not the average seed buyer anymore.
The people on INSTAGRAM are. Have you READ the stupid questions people ask breeders up there?

It's Idiocracy man, and Brawndo has what plants crave.

If your marketing plan depends on educating your customers about something they don't want to know, you are doomed to fail.
How many seeds do you include in the packs you sell?

Maybe you fell asleep under a tree clean shaven, and woke up with a long beard? Tom Hill's not around any more.
Today's market (which is driven by customer demand) clearly moves in the opposite direction of your treatise.
"5 packs" of FEM seeds sell much faster than "10 packs" of REGS.
Why do you think that is?
People want to grow a plant or 2 for personal consumption. They don't want to become the next Nevil and select something special from a field of hundreds.
They live in states that have recently legalized weed and allow low numbers of plants to be grown for personal use (~4 or 6.)
Really, they would much rather grow from a clone they get from a dispensary than even pop a seed.

Several people have tried to explain that to you but you can't accept it. It is facts that exist in the world outside your head.

Also, your title is not really appropriate because there is no ethical dilemma in deciding how many seeds to put in a pack.
Large volume deals are going down regularly if you need it. You just need to ask.
The beer menu at a bar doesn't list a price for a tanker truck full of IPA, but if you need one, someone will sell it to you. Where's the ethical issue with that?

BTW: I know you aren't selling seeds and this is all just a mental exercise for you, but you are clearly all spun up about this and I couldn't resist poking a bit of fun at you.
:laughing:

:tiphat:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts