What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drying and humidty problem

forest.

So last year i've grown 25 plants and i found that to be a really pain
in the ass when it comes to processing the final weight.Im a guerilla
grower and the only place where i can dry is at a cabin near a village.

The problem i have in this cabin is that its not thermal insulated ,
my question is if its worth to buy a dehumidifier if the cabin is not insulated.

We have a fireplace inside the cabin so we can somehow control the temperature but im not really sure about the humidity.
Last year we forced the drying process with fans and then we after 2 weeks of curing in jars we vacuum sealed the product.

The smoke is really harsh so im looking for answers to get it right this year.

vcasqui

I kind of have(had) the same problem. The low temps are a nuisance, but not THAT much. I dry my flowers at around 11-15cº (13º average). I think the cold temps make them taste a little bit more "green" or "fresh"; I don't know how to describe it, but I really think it tastes different (maybe the Chlorophyll "dissipates" slower or something, IDK).

Humidity is a much bigger problem ofc. If the cabin is insulated enough, then go for a dehumidifier, don't even think about it. The place where I dry my buds is not thermal insulated either, but it is kind of a small place (~9m3) and the dehumidifier Works great there. The difference between dehumi and no dehumi is gigantic (really, at least where I live).

What I do now is: The first week I try to keep humidity at around 62%, and then I drop it gradually till around 50% by the third week. I let the flowers sit there as much as possible, usually around 2 months or so (13ºC and 50% RH).

Doing what I just described I got the best results so far. It's not optimal, but the smoke is not that harsh at all, in fact is quite pleasant. It can sometimes make me cough a little, and when this happens I just add a pinch of tobacco to my joints (70-80% MJ, 30-20% tobacco), which makes the smoking experience so much more enjoyable and smooth (tbh I always add a Little bit of tobacco, even if the MJ is great and smooth. I just like it). If you don't have 2 months to dry and kind-of-cure your buds, I guess you can go for a more agressive approach, starting with 55%RH and dropping it to 50% by the second week.

On a side note, I'm not sure how beneficial the fire is. It generates smoke and ashes, which I think have the potential to mess your buds a little by contaminating them (the smell and flavour of the smoke and the floating particles of ash).

Cheers.

forest.

Thank you ,

I think we are gonna buy a dehumidifier if we can cuz we already spent a lot for seeds soil and nutes