What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

ilovegrowing

Here are 3 different cob experiments

First one ist ace thaixpanama
3BF3E604-FDE2-4531-BA36-5D31A42A8CC4.jpeg
second one is panamaxhaze
321E87C8-3CFC-4C96-A11F-DF5418E55BAE.jpeg

As i had to leave for a trip i just threw them in the vacpack after about 4 days of drying and the have been in there for 7 days without a sweat. Foto is after one day drying in the air. They came out pretty sticky and gooey, with a fermented smell. i think the colour is nice, but i would take them out earlier next time. Lets see how it will be cured.

And this is a green mountain grape f2 purple. Went in a bit drier, but still wet enough i think. Also no sweat, 4 weeks cure.

7B93F9E0-EABA-49EF-BE78-621C45D2F253.jpeg

Thx and have fun fellow cobblers

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway

First one ist ace thaixpanama View attachment 18985243 second one is panamaxhaze
View attachment 18985244
As i had to leave for a trip i just threw them in the vacpack after about 4 days of drying and the have been in there for 7 days without a sweat. Foto is after one day drying in the air. They came out pretty sticky and gooey, with a fermented smell. i think the colour is nice, but i would take them out earlier next time. Lets see how it will be cured.

And this is a green mountain grape f2 purple. Went in a bit drier, but still wet enough i think. Also no sweat, 4 weeks cure.

View attachment 18985245
Looking good brother!

I grew the Panama haze a few years ago, but before I got into cobbing. It was an awesome smoke after a years cure. I imagine it'll be dynamite once cobbed and cured. In looking forward to your reports later in the year.🙂

Tangwena

Veteran

First one ist ace thaixpanama View attachment 18985243 second one is panamaxhaze
View attachment 18985244

View attachment 18985245
That last pic looks deadly man.

mike-or-ozzy

I found that taste in some PCK x Kali China that was a bit too wet when sealed, but it still does the job.

I've made 1 inch square x 3 inch long cobs that were too wet, imo, and compressed them too much, imo. Now I know after 2 harvests being cobbed.
First one was too dry, so I've been at the limits.
I'm thinking its got some links to the gas law in physics. Volume, Temp., & Pressure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law

Last edited:

ilovegrowing

Looking good brother!

I grew the Panama haze a few years ago, but before I got into cobbing. It was an awesome smoke after a years cure. I imagine it'll be dynamite once cobbed and cured. In looking forward to your reports later in the year.🙂
Yeah, when i enjoyed my first harvest of panama haze, i was thinking the same. This must be awesome cobbed. With this old school spicy, incense taste and friendly, slightly trippy up high.

I didnt do a good job the last run. But next one is flowering already, with a way better Start. Im very curious about it. Just have to wait about 6 month, haha.

The purple brings a new parameter to the colours of the cobbing game. As i am quite confident to judge the right colour with the green ones, the purples are more of a guess game. I could imagine that this example i posted will turn brighter/greyer with time. We will see.

Tangwena

Veteran
Some before and after pics After 3 months curing at room temps (28c).
Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian pure speed freak on this pheno.
Euphoria is off the charts along with fearless energy is the only way to describe the high.
Smell is earthy pine/lime real nice on the unlit joint inhale ha ha.

img_3460-web.jpg
img_3462-web.jpg
img_3628-web.jpg
img_3630-web.jpg
img_3631-web.jpg
img_3635-web.jpg
img_3636-web.jpg
img_3637-web.jpg

The last three picks are the egg size cob broken open to show the internal cure, a sniff of this is the stuff of dreams to an old dagga rooka from Africa ha ha.

So Hai

Some before and after pics After 3 months curing at room temps (28c).
Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian pure speed freak on this pheno.
Euphoria is off the charts along with fearless energy is the only way to describe the high.
Smell is earthy pine/lime real nice on the unlit joint inhale ha ha.

View attachment 18987382 View attachment 18987383 View attachment 18987384 View attachment 18987385 View attachment 18987387 View attachment 18987388 View attachment 18987389 View attachment 18987390

The last three picks are the egg size cob broken open to show the internal cure, a sniff of this is the stuff of dreams to an old dagga rooka from Africa ha ha.
You have seeds :D

Sounds like a great cross. I was meaning to ask what you would recommend as an alternative to using corn husks? I was thinking maybe parchment paper or a brown paper bag perhaps.

Tangwena

Veteran
You have seeds :D

Sounds like a great cross. I was meaning to ask what you would recommend as an alternative to using corn husks? I was thinking maybe parchment paper or a brown paper bag perhaps.
As Hombre said just baging it is enough its all in the drying and time curing/ temps.
I made heaps of seeds I always do ha ha.

One of the phenos (there are 2) is speedy and the other trippy and otherworldly.
I like to mix the two.
But these are still young another 6 months aging they will peak.
This grow was for seeds and chewing. I love lightly seeded buds they have more character in the high IMO.
PM me if you would like some, seeds they are always free.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
Thanks @Hombre del mont and @Tangwena I thought they could have some purpose in sweating process and maybe prevent trichs from sticking to the vacc bag.

That brick looks really nice Tangwena!
I believe that corn husks as something to the taste and possibly the effect, (I've never used them).

The cobs that I make without anything will bend you silly.😉

I think the key to a good cob is the starting material.

Rastafarout

Premium user
420giveaway
Yeah the corn husks make it sweeter ,Tang mentioned that , also brings a weird sweet “perfumey” smell , that’s how they smell in Africa
There’s enzymes at work that need to be studied/ identified if not already

Banana bark will have a different effect .. and it’s also got enzymes
but I mean if you think about it the Ogs must of tried lots of different things to cure in , and corn and banana bark was chosen and has stood the test of time
Got to be some value in that

I’ve got some banana bark sorted , just waiting on corn season , will try both ways

Not sure how to add a link but if you google you will see which enzymes are involved

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks @Hombre del mont and @Tangwena I thought they could have some purpose in sweating process and maybe prevent trichs from sticking to the vacc bag.

That brick looks really nice Tangwena!
I like the maize and banana bark for their authenticity.
Its true they are like teflon nothing sticks to their waxy surface and they add an African feel to the finished product.
BUT I dont sweat on it if I dont have any, straight in the vacuum bag is deadly as well and produces beautiful sweet sticky cobs.

Taima-da

Paper sometimes absorbs moisture and can get stuck to the outside of the cob, which is not a good look. I started with grease proof paper but just use bags these days... Often I'll form the cob in a zip lock which then gets vacced, you can handle the ziplock and not worry about tearing a vac bag, and if the vac bag fails or gets too short from opening and resealing you can stick the ziplock in a new one without losing sticky in the vac bags... Usually I leave the zip lock open to allow air to leave but if I want to make loose cobs, bud style, I'll push out most of the the air, close the zip lock and then seal into a vac bag. This stops some of the compression, if you're into loose cobs, but I've found compressed ones seem to store slightly better long term, especially once the cob no longer lives in a vac bag .

there are many ways to skin a cob

revegeta666

I like the maize and banana bark for their authenticity.
Its true they are like teflon nothing sticks to their waxy surface and they add an African feel to the finished product.
BUT I dont sweat on it if I dont have any, straight in the vacuum bag is deadly as well and produces beautiful sweet sticky cobs.
You need to try the used fish & chips newspaper wrap👌 very exotic.