What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Where do I plug this thing in?

Dirt Bag

Just watched this instructional video series on YouTube by BHOgart on using their system.
We don't have a BHOgart system per se, though we do have some BHOgart parts and the system does utilize a manifold, TR21, MT-69SS.
I don't believe that the configuration shown in the video is the best way, and want to know if my understanding is correct.
In their configuration, with a single line connected to the tank (even if it is split to both valves) the user must either be recovering, filling, or neither, but never both.
A better way would be to connect the liquid siphon valve to the input of the extractor and the line leaving the MT-69 to the vapor valve, routed through the manifold (blue side so you can see vacuum too).
This way the system can actually circulate solvent and is throttled via the manifold.
The voice over in the video says that the vacuum created by closing the input and running the pump expands the gas in the material column freezing it along with the material and the column.
I thought that it was the other way around. That compressing solvent made it colder. I also think that until it rises above 31°, the solvent in the column is a liquid. I think that the process will make the column cold. Mine always does. But I thought it was due to pressure, not vacuum.
So am I right? Is my connection method sound in theory and practice?

Is there a Bat signal for Gray Wolf? :wave:
Somebody tag him or something.

Compressing solvent doesn't make it colder. It takes energy to compress a gas. That energy is stored as latent heat. Wikipedia enthalpy of vaporization

Dirt Bag

Compressing solvent doesn't make it colder. It takes energy to compress a gas. That energy is stored as latent heat. Wikipedia enthalpy of vaporization

This depends upon the the speed of compression and insulation. What you're referring to is isothermic, however there is also Adiabatic.
So then, what are they describing in the video? What principle describes the "half dump freeze" method scientifically? How does running the pump with the tank closed create "cold" (or remove heat for you scientists) to freeze the column, sample, and solvent?

I'm one of those OCD freaks who needs to understand everything entirely.
It's really just semantics, right?
When I cool (remove heat from) gas it becomes liquid... and it's cold.
When I compress gas (increase the surrounding pressure raising the boiling point, and proportionately the condensation point) it becomes a liquid... and isn't cold? Doesn't liquid butane have to be at least 31-34°F to be a liquid? If so, wouldn't anything that normally freezes below 32°F placed into this compressed solvent freeze?

Last edited:

Dirt Bag

Like a refrigerator, air conditioner, or any other device that uses the principles of refrigeration, compressed gas is fed through coils cooling it into pressurized liquid gas, fed through that which requires its heat removed (the air around your food or the weed in your column) and absorbs the heat, expanding the liquified pressurized gas back into gas and is returned to the compressor to do it all over again.
The recovery pump is the compressor, the MT-69SS is the coils, the material column is the freezer compartment.
Is there something I'm missing? Is this off base or spot on?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's a direct link to the section of video you're referring to:

https://youtu.be/djaat-qTQYw?t=40s

I used to have a similar false understanding of the refrigeration cycle, the output from the coils after the compressor pump is hot liquid under pressure, it's pressure is released through a tight nozzle where it enters the the other set of coils, the sudden drop in pressure sucks energy from the coils lowering the temperature, the return line to the compressor (at least of my own home's air conditioner) contains cold low pressure vapor due to incomplete energy transfer. That's how I formed my wrong conclusion, I confused the cold in/hot out to be hot in/cold out on the outside condenser unit.

https://swtc.edu/Ag_Power/air_conditioning/lecture/basic_cycle.htm

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 10.00.00 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 10.00.00 AM.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Dirt Bag

Since we use the GW method of 2 bottom floods and a top rinse, would this "technique" even be applicable? I like to stop the solvent on the floods for a few minutes of soak. Column always freezes. Perhaps this is what they're referring to? If so, rubbing that with your hands would do next to nothing to warm it as ours generally dips into the -30s and ices over 1/4" thick. Hence the reason we got the Keenovo heater (awesome BTW)

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Since we use the GW method of 2 bottom floods and a top rinse, would this "technique" even be applicable? I like to stop the solvent on the floods for a few minutes of soak. Column always freezes. Perhaps this is what they're referring to? If so, rubbing that with your hands would do next to nothing to warm it as ours generally dips into the -30s and ices over 1/4" thick. Hence the reason we got the Keenovo heater (awesome BTW)

"I like to stop the solvent on the floods for a few minutes of soak. Column always freezes. Perhaps this is what they're referring to?"

No, they clearly state they inject liquid butane into the vacuumed material column, just enough to wet the top three quarters of the material, which is ascertained by feeling the progression of chill down the column. After closing off the top feed, the dump valve is opened, and the pump is used to lower the pressure to pull off the butane vapor. The butane sucks energy from the material when changing to vapor, effectively freezing it.

Dirt Bag

When do they say/show anything about closing the dump valve or opening it?
So our fill comes from the bottom. Once it reaches the top (also by feel, isn't very accurate, and is the reason for my whole "sight glass above the material column" thread) I close the input valve, stopping the input of solvent. Since the overflow is open, running the recovery pump now will effectively freeze up the column?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I went back and they don't, and they're probably referring to pulling the vapor from the top. I was thinking little if any liquid would make it through the column, so why not from the bottom?

This seems to indicate from the top via the overflow,

"The Mercurius system features a recovery manifold that is also used as the overflow path when bottom filling. This allows the column to be recovered independently from the collection base. With this plumbing, the user is able to utilize the evaporative cooling properties of the extraction solvents. By injecting a small amount of solvent into a closed material column, slightly wetting the material, then recovering this solvent, the material is frozen once all solvent flips phase. This method, paired with an injection coil, ensures efficient dewaxing happens without excessive dry ice or expensive chilling units."

https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/2lb-mk-v-active-bi-directional-with-cmep-ol-recovery-pump.html