What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jointment, an herbal infused ointment for pain

thailer

i have been working on a recipe for an ointment for arthritis and significant muscle pain for the past month. Before that i was making balms that worked ok but left the skin rather waxy. i want something that will absorb into the skin with little wax feeling. it's not quite there yet but basically this is a really nice recipe to make something for at home use. i've ordered some thickeners i was going to play around with. when i get a better recipe that has less of a waxy feel, i'll update.

I ordered a bunch of essential oils and after looking at the lab reports and comparing them, i could've used less variety of oils because some have similar makeup. this was the biggest cost. I am trying to get menthol crystals because menthol EO is hard and not a viscous oil like most are, but the order through ebay didn't get sent to the post office and i got a refund. i think it would be a great thing to add. i would start at a 1/4 teaspoon. you could swap out the kunzea and just replace it with the menthol crystals. kunzea was very expensive but does have a terpene that nothing else does. i am not certain how much better it is than the others but the majority of it shares similar terpenes with the other oils which are far less expensive. the camphor cooling effect has lasted well over 45 minutes so far. if you want something that is going to be super cold on application, i would highly suggest the menthol. when i finally get the crystals, i will update.

picture.php

Herbal THC:CBD soft salve

1 oz emu oil
1 oz infused olive oil (recipe below)
14 grams beeswax
4 grams corn starch
CBD isolate powder to dosage desired

add the above ingredients in a pyrex measure cup in a water bath on the stovetop. start at medium heat and then dial it down if needed. it needs to not get very hot to keep the herbal oil safe. heat till the wax is fully melted. remove from heat and stir for one minute. put in cold water bath and stir with popsicle stick or a spatula till you see wax forming on sides. remove and emulsify the harder wax into the oils. when consistent, add the essential oil pre-dropped into a single glass container into the mixture and stir, stir stir.

30 drops ginger EO
40 drops marjoram EO
70 drops rosemary camphor EO
60 drops sweet orange EO
70 drops kunzea EO
80 drops basil linalool

once they're emulsified in about 2 minutes, put back in cold water bath and stir till wax forms on sides of container then remove and emulsify the liquid and harder waxes. menthol vapor and other EO's escape when the mixture is above 70F so cool it quickly but emulsify, then keep going back and forth till it has less and less need to emulsify. leave on counter and come back in five minutes and stir it again. wait about ten minutes and stir it again. after an hour of cooling, it should be what it's gonna be consistency wise.

spatula into glass jar. do not use plastic or metal as the high EO content will cause rust or will dissolve the plastic into your ointment.

:woohoo:

I'm gonna hand out samples to my relatives with arthritis who asked me to try again to make a better salve and i really think this is a lot better than the basic recipes i was trying before due to the high amount of essential oils. it has a tea tree pine smell that has some orange lemon essence so theres a slight medicinal smell due to the camphor that aids in the cooling factor. light cooling sensation is felt after a minute application. i want to ramp it up to more icey with the menthol plus see how much EO i can actually put in there without adding additional wax. i am ordering a special thickener to play with. this right now is very very nice and i wanted to share it with anyone who wants to make and create their own plant medicine.

picture.php

Herbal infused oil recipe

1/2 cup dried comfrey leaves
1/2 st johns wort
1/4 lavender flowers
1 cup calendula flowers

cover with olive oil and heat in saucepan. i didn't measure this but i would think i used 3-4 cups of oil. you'll have more oil with herbs floating around.

after heating the herbs for 45 minutes on medium low heat, put in a jar, add RSO to dosage desired and let sit for two weeks. you can use some right after it cools down to room temp but the longer it sits with the herbs in there, the better it will be.

thailer

I gave some to a relative last night who has reaccurring issues with her shoulder and rotator cuff. At first she said it wasn't working and about two minutes after she said she could feel a slight cooling sensation. she said it smelled wonderful too and mentioned an orange forest with ginger. i'm really glad i bought the orange as it doesn't really have much to do with anything other than smell. well about an hour later, she said she caught herself sitting in a position that normally gives her pain and she realized she didn't hurt bad anymore. she was really happy. i told her i would reformulate it to include the menthol which i'm picking up shortly and add more camphor.

before she got to my house, i had picked up cobalt blue 2 ounce bottles with a stainless steel roller ball.

12-X-15ml-Cobalt-Blue-Glass-Bottles-Roll-on-Vials-w-stainless-steel-roller-ball-cap.jpg_640x640q70.jpg

I just used 5 ml emu oil, 20 ml infused olive oil, 2 ml rosemary camphor, 1 ml marjoram, 1 ml basil linalool, and 1 ml ginger. That's a 17% concentration of essential oils!! the first version i made used a 33% concentration but that was too much.

So about ten minutes after she first tried the ointment, she wasn't feeling like it was doing much so i showed her the oil roller ball. i had tried it previously and it didn't do anything like the ointment did. i really much prefer the ointment but the oil roller disappears into your skin right away. maybe the wax provides a lot more benefits than i give it credit for. i told her to let me know how they work and i advised her to take a hot shower and before she dries off, to apply the ointment. any muscle salve works a million times better right after a hot shower.

anyways, i'm gonna dabble with the menthol crystals over the next week or two. i bet they would really give the roller ball the kick it needs.

thailer

so just some more feedback i got from someone who has no cartilage left in their knees and has bone on bone pain. they said that they haven't been in as much pain after a couple days of using it. they've been applying it about twice a day. their knees still are swollen like grapefruits but its not as bad and she says she feels like doing stuff around the house again.

if i didn't mention how much RSO i used it was 3 ml syringe in about 3-3.5 cups of olive oil. it tested around 87% THC and i forget the CBD amount but i think it was only like 3 or 4% so i added a half teaspoon of cbd isolate i had laying around as a sample i got. i'm guessing its probably about 100 mg of cbd.

thailer

So i have been working with the menthol crystals and that will make it more difficult to mix up, especially by hand. i bought a immersion blender that has a whisk attachment and the whisk works great for making this.

so i add 1/4 teaspoon of menthol crystals to the essential oil after it is weighed out. it takes 30 minutes for the crystals to dissolve in the oil. then i increase the beeswax to 30 grams just so it can be mixed without separating. i don't think there is any difference personally. i think the original formula smells better too.

So since making this and giving out samples to people, i have gotten some interesting feedback. the person who has a torn ligament took two containers but hasn't came back. they sensed relief in the beginning but overall, its not enough for her and she prefers making edibles for her pain. the person with the grapefruit knees still likes it but she doesn't use it frequently enough because she has to put salve on several times a day for relief so maintenance is difficult. I have a friend who's wife has MS and she has neuropathy in her feet where they feel like they are on fire. she absolutely loves it. the friend also gave out samples to his friends and someone with cerebral palsy has taken a jar home and i'm waiting feedback. another person he gave samples to has a horse!! and the horse, of course, likes the salve on his knees!! so today i whipped up a horse size batch because they need more.

edit: i wanted to add the weighed measures before i lose my paper i wrote it on. this is written out not as individual measurements but you add the first one till it hits 0.8g and then add the second oil to the first oil so they both weigh 1.7g...... So to get individual measurements, you would need to subtract. my scale will time out during this which i didn't realize. maybe your scale is better than mine so i've included both.

Pour each oil in a single container till it hits the weight for all the previously added ingredients (hope this makes sense)
0.8g ginger
1.7g marjaram
2.7g rosemary camphor
4.1g orange
5.9g kunzea
8.0g basil linalool
------------------
should equal 8 grams of EO total

OR individual measurements

0.8g ginger
0.9g marjoram
1.0g rosemary
1.4g orange
1.8g kunzea
2.1g basil linalool

optional: you can add 1/4 teaspoon menthol to the essential oils and let it dissolve. swirling it around helps every five minutes. menthol crystals will only dissolve in a solvent like alcohol so the essential oils that are chosen have high solvents. you can't dissolve it in water or cooking oils. you can dissolve it in alcohol or essential oils with alcohol terpenes like linalool or even pinene.

Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice write up! I tend to refrain from menthol or capsaicin....too easily into the eyes if you don't wash hands thoroughly. Roll on applicator a good idea.

My clients just like canna balm (coconut/olive 85:15) with frankincense, arnica, calendula oils and a little cedar for aroma.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's great to hear "relief" experiences by folks using cannabis to soothe aches and pains. Bravo!

thailer

It's great to hear "relief" experiences by folks using cannabis to soothe aches and pains. Bravo!

thanks! i'm so happy to hear that people like it and feel better. I do not like to use heating type oils in my salves. even one drop of cinnamon oil causes my skin to itch and be irritated. i know the menthol can irritate the eyes too but so far i haven't had much issue. that hot stuff tho is not friendly to the eyes whatsoever.