What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

weed causing heavy heart beat

mr.brunch

Veteran
I believe that weed slightly lowers blood pressure, which makes the heart beat a bit faster and heavier sometimes to compensate for this lack of pressure. Most of the time this goes unnoticed but if it is noticed then it would be easy to mistake it for something more serious.
Especially as the quack can't find any probs.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Pepper contains the terpenes myrcene, α-Pinene (alpha-pinene) and the terpenoid (a modified terpene) caryophyllene. Pinene has been used for asthmatic patients as a bronchodilator, and, beta-caryophyllene which has been researched for help with athritis, multiple sclerosis and HIV-associated dementia as well as treatment with anxiety and depression. In other words, the terpenoids found in pepper could help with the THC-induced symptoms felt from the phytocannabinoids found in marijuana.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Sniffing black pepper can kill the anxiety attack associated with weed. Cheap and easy to try. Google it.

A break from smoking can help. Maybe edibles are worth a shot. Takes time until you can actually enjoy weed again.

What, no sniffing salt too? that must burn like hell. too much cocaine in my earlier days, has put a big enough hurting on my sinus'. but I have no palpitations (<:thank you spellcheck..

R

!RA!

Not to beat a dead horse, but...

Not to beat a dead horse, but...

I had something very similar happen when I was in 20s (a bit beyond that now I'm afraid), and it turned out to be anxiety. First time it happened was right after smoking Maui Wowie with friends, rapid and heavy heartbeat and nearly full blown panic. Laid off the gange for a while and then had another episode, same symptoms. They started happening more frequently and without any cause. Went to several doctors and they all said the same thing, panic attacks. Was on Xanax for about 6 months, then everything went back to normal. Worth looking into dude, don't let your pride get in the way. It's very fixable.

gmanwho

Veteran
increased heart rate, panic , anxiety type things happened to me as i got older. Some dr's claim marijuana can bring on Schizophrenia or bi-polar tendencies as well. Those conditions may be brought out by being "high".
Somewhere in my early 20's i realized i couldnt smoke alot all at once. I learned i had to only take one or 2 hits, then relax. An hour & half later i could take another 1-2 more hits. keep ramping my smoke up as i went along. 6-8 hours later id be able to smoke more in a session.

I use the analogy of drinking to smoking. Lets use the baseline of one drink an hour to one hit an hour. ( not dabs either)

if you wanna tie one on you would drink more then one an hour. but if you wanna chill u drink less.

If you pound back 7 drinks in an hour you know your getting hammered. So why would you smoke 7 hits in an hour? Unless u had a tolerance. or u wanted to get fucked up..

I stopped blunts all together. Made me realize how powerful good pot can be. Its ok to pass the joint an not take a hit. As i was younger u'd get yelled at for passing. But as i got older learned i didnt need much smoke an they didnt really matter much either.

Tell him to try to take only 1 or 2 hits at a session. then go from there. Most people stop smoking all together cause they dont like the effects, chances are they smoked to much. Next time they gotta learn their comfort zone an then go from there. Just cause it was passed to you doenst mean you need to hit it..

bsafe

EastFortRock

Heart Beat

Heart Beat

Taurine cured some one I know of heart skipping beats. He Takes about 3 times more than what the bottle dose recommends. Is he a vegetarian? Vegetarians seem to lack taurine more often than those that eat meat. Magnesium can help too.

St. Phatty

I had that happen once when I interviewed my way into a crap high-tech company in San Diego.

In order to sell the company, the 5 VP's that owned it did all sorts of things, like bidding projects below cost, to make it look like they had a good backlog.

I got there and we had a meeting. We were told, "you have 3 months to do 9 months worth of work. Go."

Anyway, I developed a very random heart-beat.

After 4 months I quit the crap job.

Within 24 hours the irregular heart-beat disappeared.

So I kind of got the impression that this condition can be stress-related.

saluki

ICMag Donor
I believe I read somewhere that cannabis can act like a catalyst and drastically worsen a mentally unfit persons' existing condition.

What type of setting were you consuming in? Comfortable location/place with a small group of trusted friends? Or a public place?

Many factors come into place. I had this happen to me a couple times with the heart palpitations, but the reason I believe was because I was extremely fat.

devilgoob

Veteran
I have anxiety and heart beat rhythm oddities, and it's both.

It causes both. It coats your lungs with resin at first, and other things along with a burning sensation. We think this is all cool, but it IS your bodies response.

When this happens I just smoke less. I smoke more each time and then I am fine. It starts back up once in a while, I can actually hear it in my ears when my heart backflows or something.

Water and electrolytes, so you don't have thick blood, your calcium and magnesium and potassium. Your heart can pump better with better electrical activation.

With anxiety, realize when natures goes overboard, she is really trying to help. I've had panic attacks where I was dying, or thought so, and somewhere in there, I accepted my own morality.

It still happens with me sometimes, and does cause palpitation.

I'm 68 years old now, but I've had muscle cramps and heart palpitations as long as I can remember. I had 2 such bad trips on cannabis in my 20's that I swore off marijuana for about 45 years. After watching the 'Run From The Cure' video, I started growing and making oil. I smoke occasionally now too, but usually a high CBD strain. And sometimes I get heart palpitations and/or arrhythmia from smoking. And over the years my cramps have gotten worse - all over my body, but mostly in my arms and legs. Hey, VanillaKush, thanks for all that great info on potassium!

Another factor to consider: Shakespeare wrote in one of his plays, "We ripe and we ripe; then we rot and we rot". In other words, sometime in middle age we go from riping to rotting, and it often causes 'mid-life crisis'. Turning this corner can sometimes be rather devastating to ones psychology. How old is your friend? In my own case, I took my mid-life crisis (PTSD from the Viet Nam war as well) as an injunction to delve back into my past and try to figure out what was causing my anxiety and discomfort. The Viet Nam war, of course, but there were issues from my childhood as well. I directly confronted these issues for about 15 years and have entered old age in a state of relative peace and contentment - though I most certainly will start eating bananas for potassium! In my own case, my psychological problems have been the cause of almost all of my physical ailments over the years. Just an idea for your friend to consider.

waveguide

Veteran
switch strains/growers/fertiliser/diet/exercise/time of day...

every now and then i find a strain that gives me athsma.. sucks. and other stuff.. lungs, blood, heart, ears ringing.

i'd hate to be a young stoner. it took me years to stop thinking about all the bullshit from society and schools et c., and years to start making observations without all these crazy biases.

people keep harping in this thread about weed bringing about latent mental problems... i don't blame weed for society's issues.. of course it sucks to be young and trying to make a life for yourself and having this stigma. it's like a curse.

but the important thing to come through that with is how much bullshit society is.

one day you find out the people dealing in your neighborhood are a coven who are putting their blood and shit in the plants. or meth. you want to be psychotic, smoke weed grown by an ass fucking witch. some people don't know about that, all they see is kids flipping out, but that's how power hungry people are.

watts

ohms
Veteran
I've known many people in their early 20's who trip out on weed, was fine as teens but i think its because we have more responsibilities and stress as we come into adult hood. More things on our mind and weed can enhance those thoughts. If it's stress/worries then you have to learn how to handle it on your own, don't expect weed to mask it.

Positive thoughts. Live in the present and don't dwell on shit. Good diet, exercise, etc.

Tell your friend to try consuming more potassium. Potassium deficiency causes arrhythmia (palpitations), muscle cramps, etc. I had this same problem for a long time, I even wore a holter monitor for 48 hours to monitor my heartbeat. At the end of it, they told me nothing was wrong with me and that it was pretty common for young, tall, skinny people around my age to have heart palpitations. I wasn't very convinced.
Fast forward to a couple years later, and my research on foliar potassium in agriculture incidentally leads me to some info on potassium deficiency in humans. Turns out that one of the symptoms of a potassium deficiency in the blood is heart arrhythmia. Potassium also helps your muscles contract, helps your nerves function normally, and helps to maintain a normal blood pressure, all of which are contributing factors to your heart beat.

So, I changed my daily diet to include more potassium rich foods like spinach, bananas, oranges, mushrooms, pinto beans, etc. Some days I feel like a monkey because I'll eat a whole bushel of bananas, but I can get as stoned as I want without any heart discomfort. Now my heart palpitations are just a reminder that I'm getting low on potassium, so when I start to feel minor palpitations I just go munch on a big mouthful of spinach like Popeye and it goes away! After ten minutes or so I can smoke as much as I want, even hitting a huge bong with lots of drag with no issues, something that I couldn't handle when I was dealing with a potassium deficiency. Ever since I solved my problem, I've been pretty happy about it; because I was dealing with these issues for so long I had come to accept the palpitations as some sort of genetic predisposition. For a couple years I was drinking galangal root tea on a daily basis to alleviate my heart pains, and I had recommended it to a close friend of mine who was having the same issues as me. He didn't like it for some reason, and was reluctant to try it to see if it would help. Now that I've told him of my success with potassium, he's tried it and reported that it solved his heart issues too.

In addition to that, I've described this whole scenario to two other friends, who I was unaware had similar issues, and both told me they occasionally experienced the same thing and would try to eat more potassium (bananas seem to be everyone's go-to). Sure enough, both of them reported that they could toke as fat as they wanted to on days when they consumed adequate potassium. And for the people who think this could be an anxiety attack or something similar, the only anxiety I experienced due to this deficiency was when the doctors told me it was normal and I thought I just had a "weak heart", and would have to deal with it for the rest of my life. Thinking that I had this inherent physical weakness that I would have to compensate for was a little stressful. However, when you are in the middle of a smoke session with a bunch of buddies and you have to tap out because of palpitations, it's not because of anxiety, it's more like, "Huh, that last rip made my heart hurt a little bit every other beat or so. I guess I should stop smoking for now. Damn I wanted to get higher though, oh well." The pain that it causes is minor enough to where one could keep smoking if they were determined enough to get more baked. However, it is enough pain that most will stop their smoke break due to the discomfort or concern for their health. Now that I fully understand (I think) what causes my heart palpitations, they don't concern me at all when they happen, I just go eat some spinach like Popeye and then it's back to the grind :)

Hope this helps,
VK

quick fact. did you know a potato has more potassium than a banana and more vitamin c than an orange.. now you know

jd4083

Veteran
switch strains/growers/fertiliser/diet/exercise/time of day...

every now and then i find a strain that gives me athsma.. sucks. and other stuff.. lungs, blood, heart, ears ringing.

i'd hate to be a young stoner. it took me years to stop thinking about all the bullshit from society and schools et c., and years to start making observations without all these crazy biases.

people keep harping in this thread about weed bringing about latent mental problems... i don't blame weed for society's issues.. of course it sucks to be young and trying to make a life for yourself and having this stigma. it's like a curse.

but the important thing to come through that with is how much bullshit society is.

one day you find out the people dealing in your neighborhood are a coven who are putting their blood and shit in the plants. or meth. you want to be psychotic, smoke weed grown by an ass fucking witch. some people don't know about that, all they see is kids flipping out, but that's how power hungry people are.

Stating the commonly accepted fact that cannabis can bring out latent psychoses when used in excess is not "blaming weed for society's issues," it is having a realistic stance on a complex issue.