What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Upgrade questions.

Sriley28

So right now i have a 60lbs xtractor Depot solvent tank the “infinity coil” and liking to upgrade to 100+ my biggest issue is keeping it cold long enough with dry ice(passive recovery). I have had several times where the butane has boiled off but the collection post will still have 20-30psi. Would a chiller connected to the coil be enough to use for recovery? Or a -40 chiller to a (double?) jacketed tank? Also would that still work for a 100lb tank?

Schmetty87

I have the same tank and have yet to have an issue getting it good and frosty for with dry ice. I simply put the tank in barrel and pack it with dry ice it gets good and frosty and my recovery line is often covered in a thick frost/ice layer. I have yet to use the cooling coil and in the future i plan to get a new cap with a longer siphon tube and no coil.

If you would like to use the cooling coil but can afford a chiller you can always put a pump in a bucket with alcohol inside another bucket filled with dry ice and alcohol. The dry ice will chill the inner bucket and alcohol being pumped through the coil without ruining the pump by getting it way to cold. Just make sure you get a pump rated for alcohol or flammable liquids at the least. A cheap pond pump would work but i would strongly advise against it as its not even close to rated for pumping -20 to -30f isopropyl much less pure ethanol.

You might want to check your collection pot temps during recovery if they start to dip towards the end of recovery thats where you might be stalling. You might want to heat the collection pot to 75-80* f

I haven't used the coil yet to be honest but only because currently dry ice is cheaper than than an appropriate chiller.

The double jacketed tanks are ideal if you can pay for the required chiller

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So right now i have a 60lbs xtractor Depot solvent tank the “infinity coil” and liking to upgrade to 100+ my biggest issue is keeping it cold long enough with dry ice(passive recovery). I have had several times where the butane has boiled off but the collection post will still have 20-30psi. Would a chiller connected to the coil be enough to use for recovery? Or a -40 chiller to a (double?) jacketed tank? Also would that still work for a 100lb tank?

What mix are you running for gas?

Sriley28

What mix are you running for gas?

Isobutane.

l don’t think it’s a collection pot temp issue. The butane seems to be boiling off no problem it’s just not seeming to condense in the tank once it starts to get full(30lbs in a 60lbs tank). So l wasn’t sure how Big/cold of a chiller would be need just for recovery.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Isobutane boils at -11.7 °C/10.9 °F. Above that you will see pressure.

The size chiller that you require, depends on what pump you are using and how hot is is getting.

Have you measured the temperature of your pump discharge?

Isobutane.

l don’t think it’s a collection pot temp issue. The butane seems to be boiling off no problem it’s just not seeming to condense in the tank once it starts to get full(30lbs in a 60lbs tank). So l wasn’t sure how Big/cold of a chiller would be need just for recovery.

Sriley28

The water coming out of my jacket is about 81 degrees. It’s between 85-90 going in.

l recover passively so l don’t have any pump other than the one circulating the water in my platter.

Would active recovery be a better upgrade investment over a chiller?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The water coming out of my jacket is about 81 degrees. It’s between 85-90 going in.

l recover passively so l don’t have any pump other than the one circulating the water in my platter.

Would active recovery be a better upgrade investment over a chiller?

With active systems, you need to remove any heat the mixture picked up from the pump, plus the heat of compression, to return the vapor to a liquid.

With a passive system, you don't have pump heat or heat of compression, but you still have to remove the heat of vaporization, plus any that you added.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW- Sorry couldnt find where to post the question properly as a newbie.
Do you still teach classes on distillation?

I don't but Pharmer Joe still does:

'Joe Oakes' <joeoakes@oregonmedicalgrowers.com>

Latest posts

Latest posts