What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moving and interacting with different types of neighbours.

Alright I just wanted to tell you my experience of going from renting a house to becoming an income property owner what I have learned and had to cope with over the past year and a half of becoming an owner. First I must say that there is no greater joy than becoming a proud house owner after dishing out a fortune over the years on renting apartments and houses, except for when my kids we're born but ownership is a close second. We moved from a small city where we rented a lakeside community property where people didn't really know each other nor really cared, an upper middle class area, this was perfect for my extra curricular activities. After deciding we wanted to be owners we made the decision to move back to our hometown, where me and the gf grew up. We made that decision based on the simple fact that our property price range we got a lot more for our money's worth then the city we resided, the choice was between a 7000 sq/feet average lot size with neighbours all arround with shared driveways and lack of privacy and the average house was about 1000-1500 sq/feet or just a 20 min ride away in a beautiful and peaceful town with tons of nature and wildlife. We settled upon an old side by side duplex of 3200 sq/feet not counting the unfinished basement, a 25 000 sq/feet lot which is bit more than 1/2 acre and best of all no neighbour in back of me, instead a privately owned 300+ acres of forest.. Choice was simple we made an offer became the owners. Alright I just wanted to put you into context, on one side I had an elderly couple as neighbours everything was fine with them and on the other side, and I have to mention that the elderly couple side my property separates us with 200+ feet of distance so plenty of space but on the other side my duplex is right up to the neighbouring house and its sort of placed behind mine, his front porch starts where my backyard facing wall ends, so awkwardly placed, no neighbour in back but side neighbour is slightly off from the rest of the houses on street. The people who lived there where a couple of Jehovah's witness in early 40's with 4 kids and 3 dogs, that house is no more than 800-900 sq/feet :( Anyways I sort of knew the man, he was the older brother of a guy I went to school with and I was told by several he is a good Samaritan/boy scout type and figured I would be ok with my extra curricular activities. Figured he wouldn't know as long as I'm discreet. So shortly after getting the keys before moving in I transferred some clones, well I should say 12-18 inch tall plants from the rental house to the new place late at night on a weeknight thinking everyone would be sleeping, pulled in back yard and decided to go through closed in back porch which is almost aligned with the close by neighbour houses front porch, not the best way but front door was out of the question too many possible witnesses. I couldn't find big enough boxes so the plants we're thrown in back seat and trunk of the car, it was pitch black and kept a close eye on neighbours to make sure nobody saw me. If Everything was fine, about a week later we we're cleaning up before moving in and ran into the Jehovah neighbour, this was second time talking to him and had already met a few weeks before. First time we met we chatted for almost a half hour and was very nice and friendly and introduce me to his wife and kids, had a feeling I was going to get along... Then the second time we talked he saw me in back yard and called me over, I went to see him and after a quick and weird hi how are you he starts to tell me that him and the neighbour across the street and a few others are part of neighbourhood watch and that they are good friends with the police and that they keep the police close and don't want the wrong type of people living arround here and as he was telling me that he wasn't friendly and had a very different and serious look on his face compared to the previous time we had talked, and with that statement he pretty much started walking away ending the conversation with oh don't worry when you're not arround I keep a close eye on your place for you.. I wasn't sure what he meant and why he was so nice the first time and very distant and frigid the second time and I was convinced that he had seen me unloading the plants or that he had some security cameras hidden .. Next few months we're more or less the same thing with him being very distant from us, not much more than a hello, didn't make much effort to have a conversation with me even when I was trying to be friendly and talk about different things.. Usually if we saw each other We both tried to avoid or pretend not to see each other.. Very awkward and eventually we basically never acknowledged each other unless necessary. His wife was much nicer but because of the religion she wasn't aloud to be more than just polite chit chat.. Another interesting thing about this neighbour is that he had 2 brothers, one younger, the guy I went to school with and an older brother, who was also a Jehovah but was arrested and imprisoned at that time in the state of Ohio for a major cocaine trafficking charges, his brother was arrested for talking on his cell phone while driving in Ohio and then they discovered over a million dollars worth of cocaines in his car... This guy is aand has always been a Jehovah witnes and head of security at a private school weirder things have happened. So fast foward and we're summer of 2016, just harvested some stinky skunky weed and usually with the carb filter no odours and no worries but my significant other which is the best damn trimmer I ever seen decided she wanted to watch her tv shows while trimming, normally it's trimmed in drying room with the filter but miss big boss decides to bring over a pound of untrimmed still fresh and incredibly reeky weed upstairs on the hottest day of the summer to trim, with all the windows open... Yeah I know what the??? And worst of all it's 6 o'clock weekday every one is outside and active.. My neighbour comes home from work and it stinks like a skunk orgy outside, as soon as I get home I smell that and go see why, start arguing with the gf why oh why would think that is possibly a reasonable idea and she's like I don't see what the big deal is and thinking I'm over reacting and it's normal to trim daytime with windows down lol So I go out on front porch and grab my shoes and look towards the neighbours driveway and what do I see! Oh just your everyday mounties SUV parked in the neighbours driveway and nobody inside vehicle.. Ok so let's think, neighbour got home, smelled that terrible odour and called cops, They patrol the town like Nazis and even have a helicopter fly over the length of the town up to twice a day, they fly right over my house, forgot to mention it, so back to the story, I'm panicking thinking this is it, there coming and I'm completely screwed, evidence everywhere and the obvious odour and the grow rooms in basement and the old grow rooms in garage(started in garage and moved to basement) and don't know what to do, everything happening too fast, can't start ripping everything down and take out of the house cause neighbour has clear view of my back entrance and back yard, alright no time and no way I can get rid of all the grow equipment I've collected over the years. Best bet is to wait for darkness and start emptying and hiding everything, equipment in boxes and bins and plants outside in forest behind the house.. Spent the night dismantling every thing and hiding stuff including quite a few plants that I had to haul up a 75 foot climb because before I can get to the forest I have to climb the cliff in my back yard, of course trying to be discreet so forget the flashlight, turn on the cell phone screen once in a while to make sure I'm headed in right direction. Fell about 7 times and managed to stray off about 1000 feet in wrong direction when headed back home from the last load of about 4-5 complete darkness trips, came across a buck, wasn't sure or not if it was a deer or something else, black bears are seen regularly around here lol, buck was making these noises trying to scare me away, they act different at night when they don't see you, not as scared. I started running towards his direction to scare him and I was grunting and stomping at first he wasn't budging so started thinking it might not be a deer lol but finally he took off running and making his weird hissing noises trying to scare me back. So after about an hour of trying to find my way back in the dark, my cell didn't have a camera flash/flashlight so I had to try to see far enough ahead of me, I was on top of mountain and could see people's backyard lights and was trying to find mine but it pitch black with branches and leaves and obstacles everywhere it's difficult and I had to make sure I didn't trip and fall down the cliff, I ended up right behind the Jehovah house so I was happy to be close, problem is trying to walk in forest at night without seeing and being quiet is impossible, too many crunchy leaves and twigs on ground, its completely silent but your crunching away and people leave windows open so here I am hiking down behind the neighbours house at 4 am all scratched and sweaty and full of mosquito bites just happy I got everything out... I was sure if they did not come that night they would show up the next morning with a freshly stamped search warrant. Nothing happened, they did not come, never showed up, kept wondering why, why not?! Why where they at the neighbours then? It seriously smelled like a field of cannabis arround my house the evening they went to my neighbours, they would have been scentless idiots not to smell that. Why did they go see him? Why did they go in his house. The Jehovahs youngest son was about the same age as my daughter and since he wasn't aloud to leave and play with other neighborhood kids he became friends with my daughter and would come over to play every day during summer break so I had my girlfriend ask him about the police that went to his house, he was a bit of a hyper kid with ADHD and was a bit hard to follow at times but he basically didn't know much he said they went in the basement with his father to help him out with something??? Wow now I was trying my best to puzzle the clues but couldn't figure out why they would go talk to him in his basement, at first I was convinced that they installed cameras in his basement window facing my backyard and they must have filmed me doing multiple trips with bins full of clones. Finally after a week later I obviously realized they weren't coming for me.. Not long after that when school started again his youngest son stopped coming over, for 3 months straight he would come over and knocked on door average of 5 time a day and came swimming in the pool everyday during the day when his dad was at work.. Then he stopped comming altogether and the wife started avoiding us and things turned cold.. Finally one morning the doorbell rings and it's my j hoe neighbour, he informs me that they are moving out next week, he decided to give back his house to the bank(foreclosure) because there's too many problems with the house and he is sick of it, then he offered me his kids old swing set and trampoline because he has no room for it at the house he rented and that's how this whole story ended... False alert basically, analyzed the situation and logically assumed that he was snitching on me. Still haven't figured out why cops was in his house. Not long after that I found out that the house down the street where his two oldest kids hanged out with their friends is the house of a retired mounties agent, that same retired agent also came over the same night the mounties SUV was over.. So I'm usually good at figuring out stuff but this one was the weirdest close call I've ever experienced...

Last edited:
Better safe than sorry I keep reminding myself but I ended up taking a break from growing for a few months after that happened, and had to rebuild the rooms and nearly lost all the clones I hid outside because of nasty snails, and not enough sun, had to hide them in hidden spots there's semi public trails everywhere behind the forest and also 4wheelers so didn't want to get ripped. My mother plants got severely stressed in the shade and ultimately had to be turned into a batch of new clones... False alarms can set you back quite a bit if not cause you to lose everything.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Glad you're safe but also good to know that the neighbours and rcmp mind their own business, maybe they figured you weren't selling or thought you have a medical permit and decided not to care about it.

Yeah I know thats a long ass text to read through. I was just trying to tell my story in detail so people would understand. I use a cheap 4. 5" screen smart phone to post/navigate online and it's hard to view. I just wanted to explain to you what happened. I think I'm cursed or something since I moved a year and a half ago, an old man 2 houses down from me died 2 weeks after we moved in. The old lady next door died last summer in a freak accident, actually she was only like 67 her husband was much older 80+ anyway she broke her leg cleaning windows and about a week after that she died of a blood cloth related to the accident she had.. First week after she died we automatically assumed that the old man died because of his age and Alzheimer, we saw paramedics hauling out a body covered with white drape only to find out from another neighbour a few days later that it was her, he was placed in old folks home and house has been re sold since but still vacant.. I'm causing all the oldies to drop like flies..

And I leave spaces between the paragraphs but when I hit the post button everything is put into 1 paragraph... I'm trying, I need to get a real computer.

And to finish this story I wanted to say that the Jehovah house that got foreclosed has been recently sold. My new neighbours are very different than the old occupants. I went from one extreme to the other lol, the new guy is 40 something Harley Davidson type, nothing wrong with bikers it's just that I have a strong feeling he is not just a motorcycle hobbyist, he is the outlaw type Qc has been renowned for.

shithawk420

Veteran
heh,my childhood friend became a jehovas witness cause of his wife.he comes by once in a while to try and convert me.they seem like good people i think they are very against weed.i would not put it past them to call the cops.funny thing is he was my first dealer!dont trust jehovas.stay safe

I had 2 different theories on the reason why the Jehovah guy talked to the mounties, could of been because of his convicted trafficking brother, mounties is for border patrol and international drug trafficking... Or the other theory I came up with is less likely but the Jehovah dude was a computer security analyst, basically a hacker.. Him and his brothers we're born from a very poor family and didn't have tv or Nintendo's like us when we were kids, instead they always had computers, and this is in mid to late 80's when they were rare, these guy's were raised on old mac's and commodore and ms dos ... He is the type to write his own computer programs, I was told by someone who heard my story that mounties have been working with and hiring hackers over last few years because of groups like anonymous they want to strengthen their computer security...

He probably could of hacked my network and have access to things like my security cameras that are viewable online or even our smart phones as those are very easy to hack compared to a computer...

Last edited:
There has been 2 suspicious garage fires over last few months in this neighbourhood, including the garage of the retired mounty officer, friends with my old Jehovah neighbour... People know who he is, and my neighbourhood is nice but close by there's the town ghetto we're lower income and welfare people live, appartments and runned down houses, coke and speed addicts who steal to get by. It's a tiny town but still has those issues. Retired mounty guy sits on his front porch and has a camera and Cb, he takes pictures of cars speeding and calls the cops on them, they built a speed bump in front of his house to slow down traffic... Special favors for special residents. He put an old couch on side of road for garbage and somebody set it on fire.. We have a few arsonists arround.

I think I will have to move soon. Before something bad happens. Cops are constantly driving arround and turning in my driveway for other idiots arround, if I didn't know everyone and have access to town gossip I would have assumed their on to me.

My father wants to sell his house and 80+ acres of land in the middle of nowhere for 400 000$.. I need at least 40 000 for cash down and find a bank that will finance my poor electrician ass.. Yeah right I can't go over 250 000 as of right now...

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
jesus if you are serious i would GTFO ASAP!dont be stupid.Arson is class x felony in the states.and youve had TWO!?not sure if your serious.

Limeygreen

Veteran
You might want to remove some of the particular information you have posted, small town and some of the details would be easy to put two and two together.

igrowone

Veteran
quite a story, no fun with the text running all together, still worth reading
but growing skunky plants with a neighbor that's packed in close?
that was a questionable choice, the unexpected happens

Yeah this is 100% true, if it was a joke or me trying to be clever I wouldn't have spent over an hour sitting down holding my 4-1/2 inch screen smart phone to type in some bs story to get attention, take your smart phone and re type my first post to see how long it takes, and that's just copying not also taking the time to think of how your going to write it, and I smoked too so maybe even close to 2 hours.. Not worth the time to write fiction lol.
This is just the weird stuff that has happened and continues to happen arround here since I moved. I had a feeling you guy's would think that this is made up or exaggerated. Nope just the worst luck and continuous 50 presences. They park in neighbours driveway to watch one of the forest trails the local idiots use to cut across town or get away from police, this town has some really dumb criminals who would make even the trailer park boys seem like smart criminals, they think and act like it's ok to do stupid stuff all time and ride 4wheeler in public roads everywhere and cut across peoples lawns and steal from their own kids and grandma's... I can't tell this story in real life and I like being able to talk about it here, this is like grower therapy. Yeah I guess I have just picked a hot spot for criminals and police.. You would see my street you would never think that. There's one idiot that lives in the ghetto and he seems like he's attracting the majority of these shit flies. He's the one suspected of arson, his car just happened to be in the first garage that went up in flames and he doesn't even live there.. He's been reported on numerous occasion by the retired mountie and has received many traffic and speeding tickets because of him and was at the scene of the second garage fire and apparently he was the good Samaritan who called the firefighters that night. He's a life long welfare bum and is probably the biggest thief arround, some how he never gets caught and when he does rumour is he snitches to get out of it... That's the perfect definition of a rat.

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
sounds like the guy is a pro and a piece of shit.hes dangerous.personally id put the fear of god in him and tell him hes got to go.other than that you got to move

Yeah I'm thinking about moving especially after the last garage fire and the fact that this area has a few idiots arround that are attracting the cops. Don't know about the new neighbour, so far he's coming over on weekends to fix up the house, almost all his buddies have Harley's and crotch rockets, not going to make myself crazy trying to figure out who he is like I did with the last neighbour. He's not really the type I'm worried about but I'll be extra careful and we're putting up a nice 8' fence between our properties, I was going to pay for myself but he offered to pay half.. I want to move to the country, it's the best place for guy's like us. Country houses are expensive especially if you have land with it so well see..

I guess the moral of this story is don't be too hasty when you buy your first house, try to learn as much as you can about it and the neighbours. Sometimes it's not possible and the only way to know is by moving there...

Oh and beware of the Jehovah's, although a few of them are ok, for the most part they are secluded and influenced by the elder members of the religion/cult and are very judgemental individuals because of that.

WelderDan

Veteran
Owning a home is awesome. The only problem is you can't pick your neighbors. Everyone on the block gets along for the most part, except for this one neighbor. She is on disability (there's nothing wrong with her, she goes kayaking, mows the grass, etc.) so she has lots of time on her hands. She sits on the front porch and watches the neighborhood. And she sticks her nose in everything. And she drinks. You get the picture.

I make it a point to be nice to everyone, but I don't pal around with any of them. I wave, say hi, and keep to myself. Never get tight with your neighbors. If shit goes south, you now have a liability. I'm not going to prison because some jackass got their nose out of joint because I didn't invite them over to swim in the pool or some stupid shit.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Country is great, but I have had good luck in the city as well. Surprising thing about all my neighbours has been they are always worried when they want to do something on their property and I tell them it's their property do as they like, one joked about growing 200 plants in their backyard and I told them go for it I don't give a shit, just check with their wife first and realized I was serious. All my neighbours know me and realize I don't give a damn what they do on their property but they have had shitty neighbours before that try to enforce the property line by a couple inches or don't want people to have chickens, build sheds etc, when you live and let live people really are taken aback and seem to leave you alone with whatever you're doing, but fences make great neighbours especially when they are using part of your property on the other side of it.