What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What would be the best way to finish plants with low light?

blackg0d

Hi there ICMag,

I have a predicament that I would love some advice on. We have some greenhouses set up. They are in a coastal area with moderate weather, not too hot, cold, dry, or wet. Things are going fantastic so far. Last year we pulled everything, although we did have some bud rot and lots of PM that we fortunately managed carefully, but we pulled it off successfully. The issue is that the greenhouses are not located on southern facing slopes. I believe they are both west facing, and surrounded by trees. So they get decent light, but towards October, they lose almost all direct sunlight as the sun falls below the treeline. Last year we threw up some 400w lights in the houses to supplement for the lack of sun, and assumed lack of growth. Since we have never done this before, it's hard to say how much of a difference it made. As that time of year approaches, we are pondering whether or not lights are really worth it, considering the cost of electricity. Looking at the lumens per lightbulb with 400w's, it sure doesn't seem like a ton of extra growth would happen. Our logic was that the lights would substitute for the sun during those weeks that the sun barely shows it's face, and allowing the plants daytime to continue to be at least 5-6 hours a day would allow more growth. Does anyone have experience with this? Are lights worth it? Or should we just finish them in the shade? We are worried that they won't fill out enough in those last few important weeks of growth. Keeping in mind the fact that it is humid enough for mold and PM. Cheers :dunno:

plantingplants

If you'll be using that space again, it would probably be smart to test lights on half the garden.. then you'll know for sure next year.