What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Inline nutrient injector questions - Minidos 12

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Hey all,

I just recently received 2 MiniDos 12 (1% model) nutrient injectors that I'd like to use with my Jacks + CalNit soluble nutrients.

Trying to figure out a few things. Perhaps someone with experience can help.

I need to make 2 concentrated stock solutions to feed 12 lights. I was thinking using 2 30 Gal trash cans as my concentrated stock tanks so that I'm not having to mix it up very often, maybe once per grow. Obviously I'd want to get this right and experiment with settings with a smaller stock tank before dissolving some 4000g of jacks into my tank.

Keeping the injector set at 100:1 or 1% setting how much Jacks should I dissolve per Gallon of my stock tank solution to achieve around a 1.2-1.4 EC?
Am I correct in thinking that around 6oz per Gal of water would achieve this EC?

I'm currently using 2g per gallon of each part and it's working great. I'd like to mimic this with the minidos.

______

That aside I'm trying to figure out how to implement with my well water. Through a house sediment filter it's still a crazy high EC around 400-600ppm. I've never tried to use it and just resort to RO.

I'm figuring I can use my Evolution RO to keep a 50 Gal barrel full of clean RO. From there use some type of pump to kick on and push through the injectors to my distribution manifold.

Do I have to use a "on demand" type of pump here or can I simply use a 3000gph Danner mag-drive on a regular cycle timer to hopefully feed the entire garden at once.. (my Evolution replenishing the RO before the next feed cycle).

Assuming I can't use a regular submersible pump what's the best way to go about this. I see that normal on demand type of pumps are only around 300 gph. This certainly wouldn't be enough to feed all 12 lights. At that point do I just a slew of solenoids and place them after the dosers so that particular ones will open to feed certain trays of the garden at different times?

Any suggestions are helpful. I'm trying to wrap my head around it all. The dosers are 6-140psi max. I have no idea what the PSI is on my massive Danner 3000gph pond pump. I have a 140 mesh filter to go in front of the dosers as well as a backflow preventor. Does their need to be pressure in front of the dosers at all times? Why the use of the on-demand pumps? These stay powered and on correct, maintaining pressure on the doser until a solenoid opens after the doser, allowing solution to flow to the plants?

Right now my garden is split with one running 4 plants per light and the other running 9 plants per light. I think I'd ultimately like to run 9 plants per light across 12 lights - all fed by a 50-100 RO tank (auto re-filled), and pushed through the minidos.

* the minidos can do .20 - 1% .......or 500:1 - 100:1 if other settings would be better?

Thanks

carson

If you use the 1% injection, I believe you want to make a stock solution that is 100x normal concentration. If you would normally dissolve 2g of each part, I would think you would want to dissolve 200g of each part/gallon, so that when it is diluted by 100 you will have the equivalent of 2g/gallon again.

Sounds like you got a good idea of what to do. I think your best bet would be to put a solenoid on each flood tray, a sprinkler controller to turn on the pump when needed. Also watering trays individually gives you more control if some trays are drinking more than others. Also just watched a good informative video on youtube(search arizona fertilizer injector board) and if the minidos is like the dosatron, they will start injecting when they sense the water starting to pass through, so I dont think they recquire constant pressure/pump being on all the time. They were using 100:1 ratio in the video and Carson is correct in you should mix 100x the 2g/gallon. If you decide to use the solenoids, theres several good threads on how to set up the system.... Sureshots adjustawing conversion thread is really informative and so is jackmayoffer drain to waist if you havnt seen them. I also just finished setting up pretty much identical setup and would gladly help if I can. Havnt even finished a run with the new setup and already wanting to step up to dosers..... So bad ass. Good luck

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
If you choose to do a more concentrated mix, I would def run a jar test on it before mixing a 30 gal rez. If you run a pressure compensated setup, you wont need a very large pump. Shurflo should suffice.

Latest posts

Latest posts