What's new

What deficiency is this. any ideas? *PICS*

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
How long has this problem been going on? like 4 weeks or so
Are you growing in a PVC grow tent? (example: Hydrohut or any other non brand tents) it's a mylar-lined tent
What system are you running? (DWC? Ebb flow? Aero? Water Farm? Flood Tables? and so on...)drip feed
What STRAIN are you growing?nothing you ever heard of, not really important
What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?)both
What is the age of your plants? flowering
How long have they been in there mixture they are in now?(coco,soiless etc..)since seed sprout
How tall are the plants?between 2 and 4 feet
What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?flower
What Technique are you using?coco drip fed
What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.)coco
What is the Water temperature?dunno
What color are your roots? White? Brown? Are your roots slimy?white and no
What Nutrient's are you using?(If growing soiless)gh bloom/micro/maxigro , fish emulsion, kelp, superthrive, bloom&root, pbbloom are among the regiment
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? basic application rates to weaker ratios per gallon
How often are you feeding? (If using soiless) every watering
How often are you giving nutrients? (If using soiless)ditto
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?they always get varying amounts of all nutrients depending on stage of growth
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect) the proper way, thats not the issue here
What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using last few res changes from 1400ppm/2ec (hanna 0.5) down to 800ppm/1.6ec current. ph is always between 5.8 and 6.5
What is the pH of the "Tank"? see above
How often are you testing your pH/PPM/EC/TDS?when i change the res, it doesn't swing between changes
Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equipment?yep
When was your last watering?15 minutes after i finish punctuating this sentence.
What is your water temps?room temp
When was your last feeding change? (ie. grow-bloom-micro-additional) 3 days ago
How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients? when the res gets too low to pump, or roughly every 2 weeks
What size bulb are you using?600w dimmed to 300w
How old is the bulbs you are using?roughly 5 weeks
What is the distance to the canopy?between 3 inches and 2 feet for the shortest plant
What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)?40-70%
What is the canopy temperature?~75 overnight highs of 96 on sunny days with no/low AC use
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range) laid it out above
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) fuck if i know
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ? passive intake 6" vent hole, exhausting out of 6" vent with fan for exhaust and 4" fan at canopy for air circulation/wind effect.
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?no
Is your water HARD or SOFT?might be hard
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water? tap
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?200ppm/.4 ec / 7.1 pH
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?no
Are you using water from a water softener?[/b]no[/b]
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinchednope
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When?no
Are plant's infected with pest'sno

I've been having this issue for at least 4 weeks now which is about 2 weeks short of how long i've been using this light and this tent. it's a new mylar tent like everyone else is using now, all metal poles except the corners and using a 600w light dimmed to 300watts. So i don't think it's VPD, or light bleaching because it only effects a couple of plants that aren't even close by each other one is 2 feet from lamp one is 3 inches from the bulb.
all the plants receive the same food and are in the same mix of coco, ewc and perlite. only differences would be watering rates as far as saturation levels. one might be drier or wetter than it's neighbor.

Symptoms are the interveinal mottling and chlorosis you see on the leaves.

picture.php

The problem starts like the leaf at the top of this picture, with a lightening of the tissue between the veins like a nitrogen or mag related issue
picture.php

it seems to start at the tips of the biggest fan leaves closest to the top of the plant or individual branch. like this picture shows. aside from the chlorosis the leaf remains mostly healthy looking. the mangled looks on some of these leaves were present beforehand from other issues.
picture.php

as it progresses the whole leaf gets this mottled look like a calcium deficiency or a pH swing
picture.php

The issue seems to come with the age of the fan leaf as if it's a macro nutrient, but the symptoms start at the top of the plant with the newest level of growth as if it's a micro deficiency not at the bottom with the oldest leaves on the plant. This leaf aside from being overwatered slightly is perfectly fine aside from the mottled looks. the first leaves showing symptoms from a month ago are not shriveled or dead or fallen off, they're pretty strong and firmly attached. the leaves showing the least symptoms are closest to the top of the plant. But it's not a bleaching from the lights i don't think. i see this on leaves in shade and on plants near the floor.

picture.php

despite other damage from other issues, the added "whatever this symptom is" doesn't seem to effect the plant to the point where it drops the leaf. but i'm sure there's some effect i'm not seeing yet.

anyway i was thinking maybe it was manganese but the pics in the infirmary don't match and the pH isn't off enough for there to be a lockout of micros. one of my other plants shows calcium deficiency too, so i was thinking that it might just be a micro issue across the board. the leaves look like iron deficiency too, but none of the new growth looks pale like the iron pics. this seems to effect bigger fan leaves first. it's possible this could just be some variegation, but i've seen variegated leaves before on one of these plants up there even. it's always been half and half straight down the middle of the leaf. half yellow half green. usually only when nitrogen is low also.

anyone know what deficiency this is, or might be? cuz i'm stumped.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
stumped you all eh?

might be variegation. but i'm not sure what's causing it. i see it on other leaves now. could it be because these plants started life under much dimmer light and went straight to high intensity? light bleaching?

indocult

gh bloom/micro/maxigro , fish emulsion, kelp, superthrive, bloom&root, pbbloom are among the regiment
Why are you using all of this stuff?
It looks like a lockout due to overfeeding, judging by the clawing and burnt tips.

what are you hoping to obtain with all the extra stuff other than bloom and micro?
Have you ran just bloom and micro, and now you are wanting to try additives to see what they do?

What n p k are you actually feeding, in that 1.6 ec?

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
it looks like (i cant remember if it matches all the details you mentioned) when i let the coo dry accidently and the plants react to the ph swing and salt concentration and fall out in the medium. if i let coco dry out this follows a coulple days later in some varieties. cookies is the one that is the canary. they show it first.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Flush the shit out of them and simplify your feed. There are too many issues to pick out one.

Ime the purple stems are a dead give away.

vostok

Veteran
save_walter_banner.png

Dude over 5000 posts in ICMAG, and you post this nooby sh!t..?
where have you been ...?

As above and flush, cut back your feed by 33% for 14 days increase when you see an improvement

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
alright, i would like to thank dr.fever. it's possible that it might be iron and mag together. which would indicate the pH might be too low. i had it down to like 5.6 at one point for a few days.

everyone else i encourage you to actually read what i painstakingly wrote in the first post.

it's not nooby shit, i didn't ask for anything else other than if you had seen these colorations on a leaf before because it has me stumped. everything else. i already knew about. i'm not feeding them all that food at once, it's part of my regiment aka my lineup of nutes that i rotate through. i'm in coco, the nutes don't stay in there past 2 waterings of plain water unless i keep feeding.

DrFever

Veteran
alright, i would like to thank dr.fever. it's possible that it might be iron and mag together. which would indicate the pH might be too low. i had it down to like 5.6 at one point for a few days.

everyone else i encourage you to actually read what i painstakingly wrote in the first post.

it's not nooby shit, i didn't ask for anything else other than if you had seen these colorations on a leaf before because it has me stumped. everything else. i already knew about. i'm not feeding them all that food at once, it's part of my regiment aka my lineup of nutes that i rotate through. i'm in coco, the nutes don't stay in there past 2 waterings of plain water unless i keep feeding.

Or to Much calcium locking out mag
i would flush like mentioned above and with nutrient mix add some epsom salt with feeding just dont go crazy nutrients ease back in

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
yeah possibly too much calcium. dunno how much is in the water naturally. i'm thinking it's probably more pH related as to why it's locking out. 1.6ec sounds high when you count it as numbers, but i wasn't even giving the whole 1tsp/gal etc dosage. could be the ec meter doesn't work? i dunno. on the meter it reads ppms. after i mix my nutes the max it came out to was 1200ppm (the first time i used maxi at basic rates) . which is like 2.0+ec i think according to this chart. 2.4 according to my calculations. after that i got some nute burn so i dumped the res and refilled it again at 900ppms or 1.8 ec. this was below the recommended basic dose on the label btw.

so i usually don't use the ec/ppm meter except to make sure i'm giving more or less than my last readings. these numbers are meaningless to me in the real world. the more i try and follow these meters the worse shit gets it seems. the issue isn't spreading on the affected plants, one of which is harvested and the other 2 being flushed for chop.

only thing new to my regiment is this maxigro. possibly the cause of it all.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
Hi stihgnobevoli. I'm not absolutely sure this is your problem but just for fun do a google image search for "cannabis" and "variegation". The VPD thread here was an eye opener for me and solved a recurring mystery in my garden: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=153547

by jory i think you solved my mystery. i'd been eyeing the humidity because it's been really high in this new space. the vpd chart i have shows the humidity is a little low or my temps were high. thanks a lot man. :dance013::woohoo:

RetroGrow

Veteran
PH up to 6.5? Then it's probably drifting higher.
Too high,IMO.
5.5-6.0, max, with 5.8 being ideal.