What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

lighting question

!PeAcE!

3 days out of the month I will have to tear down my grow for security purposes. my question is if i take the plants from their strong light source (1k watts) and move them under floros that are also set on 12/12 just for the 3 days would that cause the plant to hermi or anything by just changing the intensity of lighting for a few days or as long as it remains 12/12 should i be ok? i dont expect much growth during these 3 days, but after the 3 days the plants go back to their old spot and the 1k gets turned back on. these plants will always be under 12/12 so will it matter if the source of lighting gets changed for only 3 days?

thal

It is going to be strain dependent, and some might hermie. It isn't just the change in intensity, but the change in light wave length as well.

Is the environment changing as far as temperature, humidity, etc?

Is there a way you can create a stealth grow that you don't have to move?

thal

My guess is that in nature that would be the same as cloudy day

I don't think this is true.

Clouds do block the light, and I believe they block some UV rays, but many still make it through. Not only that but you can't make an even comparison between an indoor light and the sun.

Again, I strongly suggest building a stealth environment and keeping the plant in one place.

!PeAcE!

well it is built in a stealth enviorment i just have to move the plants to a closet for 3 days and i figured if i had the closet on 12/12 using floros (instead of putting in my 1k and making the closet a sauna) i can keep the plants in flower mode until i can put them back after the 3 days. this situation will come up once every month where i will have to do this for 3 days, i wish i lived in a perfect world i really do but i dont so i have to do this, i dont see why the plant would hermie though? whats your reason thinking it will hermie?

thal

Like I said, it is going to be strain dependent. Some strains will hermie if they are stressed even slightly, have you ever had hermie problems with this plant in the past? Is it clone or seed?

You are also drastically changing the lighting intensity and the wave length of the light. Go look in the CMH thread in lighting, sometimes plants will hermie in flower if you go from CMH to HPS alone. If you put them under flouros you are losing a hell of a lot of light. You didn't even describe the flouros, are you going from 1000w to CFL, or are you going to be using 800W of T5 lighting, there is a big difference between them.

How different are the environments? Not just under lighting, but at night too. Is the closet going to be 100% light tight?

Cannabis plants are tough, probably one of the toughest plant species on earth. I think that you probably won't have problem, but the possibility of hermie is there.

I understand wanting to go big, but I have seen some really great stealth grow results in the micro grow forum. One guy got 5 ounces out of a trash can with PLLs lining it. Its worth looking at even if you have no intention of doing that.

Guiness

I don't think this is true.

Clouds do block the light, and I believe they block some UV rays, but many still make it through. Not only that but you can't make an even comparison between an indoor light and the sun.

Again, I strongly suggest building a stealth environment and keeping the plant in one place.

People grow with those tubes... and finish them with those tubes.
The question was would three days make them herm out?

You are expert enough to say that it will??????

!PeAcE!

Yea i am just going to buy a 250 watt ballast and use a 250hps in my cooltube instead of the 1000 i figure cooling a 250 would be way easier than a 1000. this way i dont need to worry about the possibilites of hermie. does this sound like problem solved?

thal

No, I'm not expert enough to say that it will, which is why I said:

1st post:

It is going to be strain dependent, and some might hermie.

3rd post:

Like I said, it is going to be strain dependent.

and

I think that you probably won't have problem, but the possibility of hermie is there.

I understand that people grow and finish with those tubes, and that is the point, they don't just randomly throw a 1000w light in the flora room for shits and giggles.

Take it back to the beginning, seedlings and clones can get stressed from the lights when they are first introduced to HID from fluoro lighting. Almost all plants need to be hardened when switching from indoor to outdoor, not just the lighting but because of the temperature and humidity too. Some strains are just more sensitive to change than others too. When you are putting up and tearing down a grow space once a month it gives you a lot higher chance of leaving a light leak, or some other detail that is easy to miss when you are in a hurry or just want to get your plant back to its proper lighting.

I don't know this person at all, I don't know their environment, their skill, their strain, or anything. He/she might not have any problems at all, but this does open that door.

thal

Yea i am just going to buy a 250 watt ballast and use a 250hps in my cooltube instead of the 1000 i figure cooling a 250 would be way easier than a 1000. this way i dont need to worry about the possibilites of hermie. does this sound like problem solved?

I think that will help a lot.

Here is that grow I wrote about earlier. I know you aren't going this way buy you have to check out the thread for its ingenuity.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=92259

You could also consider getting a 250W CMH to compliment that HPS. Some people do both bulbs at once, some switch from CMH to HPS a week or two after the stretch, but either way they are pretty cheap and they have a great spectrum.

!PeAcE!

No, I'm not expert enough to say that it will, which is why I said:

1st post:

3rd post:

and

I understand that people grow and finish with those tubes, and that is the point, they don't just randomly throw a 1000w light in the flora room for shits and giggles.

Take it back to the beginning, seedlings and clones can get stressed from the lights when they are first introduced to HID from fluoro lighting. Almost all plants need to be hardened when switching from indoor to outdoor, not just the lighting but because of the temperature and humidity too. Some strains are just more sensitive to change than others too. When you are putting up and tearing down a grow space once a month it gives you a lot higher chance of leaving a light leak, or some other detail that is easy to miss when you are in a hurry or just want to get your plant back to its proper lighting.

I don't know this person at all, I don't know their environment, their skill, their strain, or anything. He/she might not have any problems at all, but this does open that door.

the plants (roughly 20) will always remain in a light sealed 12/12 enviorment i will just keep the closet (aka the 3 day security breach break room) on a 250watter while im on my 3 day tear down time. co2 will still be implemented. as long as the plants notice light on their 12/12 schedule I never thought it mattered what kind of light as long as there is light to wake them up for their summer hours. I always thought light just played a role in what parts of the plant will grow more efficiently (stems, buds, leafs etc) . so with that being said even though im usuing a 250 anyways for my closet when i have to tear down for the 3 days i guess to make sense i will use a hps since i will be in flower and want to promote bud growth. but just saying if i used floros i just see the plants bud growth being non existent for the 3 days, I dont see or never heard of switching light sources inducing hermie's people flower under floros all the time, if anything i feel my 3 day break using floros would just mean smaller plants at harvest, because the 3 day low wattage purpose is just to keep the plants in flower mode to remind them they are still on 12/12 schedule. like earlier stated a replica of a cloudy day hence slower growth and less light...no hermies, if a hermie ever showed itself in the crop i dont think it would be light related is what im saying...i dont wanna get people mixed up. so i apologize for being so vague earlier i just wanna clear it up.

V

Voodoo

3 days out of the month I will have to tear down my grow for security purposes. my question is if i take the plants from their strong light source (1k watts) and move them under floros that are also set on 12/12 just for the 3 days would that cause the plant to hermi or anything by just changing the intensity of lighting for a few days or as long as it remains 12/12 should i be ok? i dont expect much growth during these 3 days, but after the 3 days the plants go back to their old spot and the 1k gets turned back on. these plants will always be under 12/12 so will it matter if the source of lighting gets changed for only 3 days?

Go buy 1k worth of bulbs, the plants will grow at about 90% rate. I flower under a 690 watt CFL canopy and routinely meet or beat expectations of a 600 HPS. Yay full spectrum and no heat!

!PeAcE!

i guess the whole question in this thread shoulda been "Do cloudy days create hermies, HAHAHAHA" sorry just smoked some 98 bubba

Latest posts

Latest posts