What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hundreds of watts of CFL SOG in cardboard boxes in an attic (Alaskan Ice).

L

L-Thirt33n

lol

Well it's something to think about because running 400+watts of CFL costs way more than running one 250watt HPS...

Then again...The cost is about double for the HPS fixture. So it may even out in the end...

See that's what I hate about indoor growing. It's all so controversial and up in the air. The possibilities are endless and no one really agrees on which is the best method...

I 'dunno. I do know one thing though! The card board box is a bad idea...

Mr. Tony

Veteran
sorry but your assumptions for the cost are incorrect

to get about 400 some odd watts of cfl it take ten or so 42 watt cfls to achieve that. they cost $13 at my local store.

thats $130 for fucking cfls. a 400 watt hps from htg is $119.

Δ-9

lol

Well it's something to think about because running 400+watts of CFL costs way more than running one 250watt HPS...

Then again...The cost is about double for the HPS fixture. So it may even out in the end...

See that's what I hate about indoor growing. It's all so controversial and up in the air. The possibilities are endless and no one really agrees on which is the best method...

I 'dunno. I do know one thing though! The card board box is a bad idea...

About 7-800 watts of CFL in total, one box on 18-6 and one on 12-12. Power here is $0.105 per kilowatt hour.

All I know is that it better be some good weed for it to be costing over a dollar a day.

Mr. Tony

Veteran
Δ-9;2213110 said:
About 7-800 watts of CFL in total, one box on 18-6 and one on 12-12. Power here is $0.105 per kilowatt hour.

what the fuck are you doing buying 800 watts worth of cfls....

All I know is that it better be some good weed for it to be costing over a dollar a day.

I think your going to be in for a bad surprise, judging by your knowledge and beliefs of cultivation.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
If its your mates attick, why do you need a cardboard box at all? Why not just set the lights up on the rafters and have better air movement? Sure you'll lose the reflective light from walls but no risk of humidity issues or fire.

L

L-Thirt33n

Or better yet just drape mylar down from the ceiling in a cube! Make one side a rolllll up door! Fix it to the ceiling so that it doesn't come down. You'd have to figure out SOME way to contain the light. Especially if you're using CFL. You'd also want to make some type of light reflective hood...That's easy though. HEY! You could put your card board to good use! ;) A little mylar, duct tape and cardboard and you have yourself a reflective hood. You can make it adjustable if you wanted.

I know this presents the issue of hanging the lights with something other than tape but surly there has to be something you can do?

Remember that attics get hotter in the summer. You may want to think about how you're going to keep the temperatures below 85*F at some point...Either that or learn how to use CO2....:confused:

L

L-Thirt33n

Δ-9;2213110 said:

If you're concerned about electricity costs, to be honest with you what I would do is this...

I would split the difference. Reduce wattage with minimal loss to Lumens. You'll have a somewhat loss either way but that depends on how much money you can spend. Mix and match any possible combo of HPS+CFL without going over what you can afford in electricity costs... I'd set a maximum amount of watts to limit the electricity bill (if necessary) and try to utilize what I could so I'd want to get the most Lumens per watt...(only logical)

For example: Get a 150watt HPS. Run 3 of your 42watt bulbs for 126watts of CFL. That takes care of your flower space. 276watts total. A relative ~24,250Lumen Yield. A difference of 3250Lumens. Not bad. I'd expect around the same results as your FULL CFL grow, maybe even better if you do it right! Plus you could put those 3 CFLs close to ANY budsite you wanted technically; and still have the canopy fairly well lit!

Obviously there are other combonations but just a thought..

Your veg cab is fine I suppose. I don't see why you would WANT to use that much wattage. I'd assume you want to save cash so I'd figure out just how much you're willing to spend on this project to start... Just don't go with card board...Don't go with cardboard for anything for that matter.

150WATT HPS isn't that expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-150-watt-HPS-GROW-LIGHT-SYSTEM-150w-hydroponics-sun_W0QQitemZ390036938966QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item390036938966&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Or you could get creative and make your own HPS setup... 1000Bulbs.com has a ton of stuff for it!

smokeymacpot

Veteran
If you're concerned about electricity costs, to be honest with you what I would do is this...

I would split the difference. Reduce wattage with minimal loss to Lumens. You'll have a somewhat loss either way but that depends on how much money you can spend. Mix and match any possible combo of HPS+CFL without going over what you can afford in electricity costs... I'd set a maximum amount of watts to limit the electricity bill (if necessary) and try to utilize what I could so I'd want to get the most Lumens per watt...(only logical)

For example: Get a 150watt HPS. Run 3 of your 42watt bulbs for 126watts of CFL. That takes care of your flower space. 276watts total. A relative ~24,250Lumen Yield. A difference of 3250Lumens. Not bad. I'd expect around the same results as your FULL CFL grow, maybe even better if you do it right! Plus you could put those 3 CFLs close to ANY budsite you wanted technically; and still have the canopy fairly well lit!

Obviously there are other combonations but just a thought..

Your veg cab is fine I suppose. I don't see why you would WANT to use that much wattage. I'd assume you want to save cash so I'd figure out just how much you're willing to spend on this project to start... Just don't go with card board...Don't go with cardboard for anything for that matter.

150WATT HPS isn't that expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-150-watt-HPS-GROW-LIGHT-SYSTEM-150w-hydroponics-sun_W0QQitemZ390036938966QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item390036938966&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Or you could get creative and make your own HPS setup... 1000Bulbs.com has a ton of stuff for it!

or use a 250w for 27000 lumens, one bulb, less hassle :2cents:

L

L-Thirt33n

I agree. :joint:

But he already purchased the CFLs...So..I dunno but I bet we got him doing this - :wallbash:

Δ-9

Remember that attics get hotter in the summer. You may want to think about how you're going to keep the temperatures below 85*F at some point...Either that or learn how to use CO2....:confused:

I'm going to have a 6" duct fan blowing out of each box.

If its your mates attick, why do you need a cardboard box at all? Why not just set the lights up on the rafters and have better air movement? Sure you'll lose the reflective light from walls but no risk of humidity issues or fire.

The rafters are slanted, and he wants a carbon filter for the flowering plants.

UltimateSpinach

Some of those specific swirl light bulbs do give off a lot more heat than a CWF tubes. I went the same route before, having a small room with nine bulbs and it would be 90 degrees after 18 hours. Makes more heat than a shop light would. It costs about $20 for the 80 watt ballast and $10 for the bulbs and they have a plug so no wiring.

Δ-9

Some of those specific swirl light bulbs do give off a lot more heat than a CWF tubes. I went the same route before, having a small room with nine bulbs and it would be 90 degrees after 18 hours. Makes more heat than a shop light would. It costs about $20 for the 80 watt ballast and $10 for the bulbs and they have a plug so no wiring.

Temp in the box after 24 hours of lights on was 73 F, same as it was before the lights were turned on.

L

L-Thirt33n

How will the temperatures be during the summer though? Do you live in a warm climate? Attic temps can be any where from 5 to 15 degrees hotter in the summer, sometimes even hotter...

Latest posts

Latest posts