What's new

Unofficial Glossary for New Growers

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
RW : rockwool
slabs : 1 meter slab of medium (rw or coco)
GPH :gallons per hour
pm: powdery mildew

great idea Nite Tiger :yes:

G

CoCo

Coco Peat - also known as coir pith or coir dust, is a byproduct of extracting fibres from the husk of a coconut. Coco peat is the binding material that comes from the fibre portion of the coconut husk.

Coir Fiber - a coarse fibre extracted from the fibrous outer shell of a coconut.

Big difference between the two types of coco..

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
IBL usually refers to In-Bred Line, referring to a strain that has been back crossed repeatedly to stabilize certain expressions within the strain. I left it out of here because I felt breeder's terms were a bit much for a new grower :D

WhoAmI?

Great thread! Here's a couple that I didn't see, BX and even perhaps listing abreviations for nutrient companies such as AN, GH, PBP, etc.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Glad you liked it Who!

I did think about putting the Nute Brand abbreviations, but I had visions of some poor new grower thinking he needed all of that and nuking his plants. Plus, I don't want to seem like some kind of endorsement of one product over the other.

As far as BX, if you're referring to Backcross, would be breeder terminology and a bit more advanced than this guide was designed for.