What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New to Photoperiod

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Man i understand very well why it shifts the EC its a mono protic strong acid. HNO3 will do the exact same it also is a mono protic strong acid.
but i mean whats the point to adjust the EC if the buffer is gonna move it ?? do you get me ? its a meaningless task if you set the EC1.2 then adjust PH because its just gonna move as soon as the acid dissociates in the solution. this will happed with EVERY acid as thats what acids do in solution. youve the formation of the H+ ion and the counter - anion which itself is a massive conductor of electrons. It seems to me that people do this routine and then never go back and check the EC ? you cannot have an ec of x value and a ph of y value. the x has a corresponding y value by default you move one they other moves. H3PO4 might be working as its tri - protic due to the fact that it almost never ever gives up the last proton but again the EC will certainly move as the po4 ion is going into solution. :ying:

I read this several times and cannot understand the need for the complexity. Is the objective to harvest a ton of bud or to play around in the garden? Seriously. Be honest with yourself. If you just want to have some fun with a few pot plants, fine. Do whatever you like. Nothing wrong with that. OTOH, if you want to harvest a bunch of bud, these are better and far more simple ways to go about it. You just need to decide as to the objective.

picture.php

I'm posting the plant as an example of what can be had from 1 square foot of space. I run a plant per square foot, 5-7 stems. I use a pH balanced commercial fertilizer and a pH balanced medium. Have never measured the pH in the 17 years I've been doing this. I can count the plants that got sick or showed any anomalies on one hand. My point is that growing canna can be very simple. Of course it can also be more complicated and that's where your chosen objective comes in. Good luck.

Simon

stevebe

man i just went through your threads, very impressive stuff. I usually get a to of popcorn buds :( I only really learned about LST in my last grow and they were autos and well into the cycle, it certainly improved my yield but im really going to have a good go at it with my photos. jess the buds look so dense <3

SuperBadGrower

With some DIY action you could gradually expand instead of buying an expensive 4x4 light fixture. have you seen the "SIL" thread on this forum? Today's regular household LED bulbs are better than HPS and purple led lights in terms converting power to light. I would not hesitate to add some light in some form because you will see an immediate return on investment. Intensity of light (and genetics) is what makes makes big, mature, dense buds.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
man i just went through your threads, very impressive stuff. I usually get a to of popcorn buds :( I only really learned about LST in my last grow and they were autos and well into the cycle, it certainly improved my yield but im really going to have a good go at it with my photos. jess the buds look so dense <3

Thank you so much. It's very kind of you to say. When I was starting out I was lucky to stumble on to a professional forum like IC. Those folks helped a lot. Similarly, IC is home to some of the best growers anywhere. Many of us came here from Overgrow after the forum went down. A story in itself.

I began to LST from the first grow. I had a 400HPS and needed the flowering mass to sit close to the reflector. In time, as the garden grew and I turned pro, this evolved into a virtual SOG of sorts. One plant per square foot with 5-8 stems, depending on the light intensity and the strain. This works better than a traditional SOG, as the plants can be moved and setup in a coliseum config. You can do the same thing.

If you don't have a light meter, you may want to consider getting one. Nothing fancy; an inexpensive Chinese one is fine. It's not used to gather specific values, rather, as a relative gauge for light intensity. It'll tell you where you have more light intensity in the room, or less, obviously. This information can be used to setup the plants more effectively. FWIW, my flowing room is completely mapped out as to light intensity. In veg it doesn't matter as much, IME.

As you've gathered, there are many ways to achieve a common goal. When I started growing many people literally laughed at the proposed methodology. I was a joke...until the harvest. I'm telling you this as a way of encouraging you to find your own way. You're well educated and bright. Take the time to consider all information on this site and use what makes sense to you. In time, you'll arrive at a point where your education and past/forthcoming experience will lead you to greater personal gratification, along with having more pot to enjoy.

I also want to second the comment above by SuperBadGrower. There's a direct correlation between light intensity and yield. The physical quality of the flowers benefits, as well. No matter how good of a grower one may be, it's impossible to overcome the effect of poor genetics. Genetics are crucial. These days there's a shitton of breeders. I trust maybe a dozen. Some free seeds, I won't name the breeders, go straight into the trash.

Simon

stevebe

i do have a second light, it was the original one i got. Its very low watt and is full spectrum. would you recommend hanging it also ? i certainly have room to do this. Would it matter that one light is bright white and the other is like purple ?

after following up on your comments it is very evident that larger yield but also denser buds come from more light.