What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple haze IBL male to female ratio

Red October

This will probably come across as a silly question but I'd appreciate some direct feedback on the purple haze IBL line that ACE offered at one point.

From most of the reports I can find it seems the purple haze IBL line had a higher male to female ratio than normal strains do, normal strains would sit at around 60% average on females with a few outlining strains containing around 75-80% female ratio, but from what I've read the purple haze line had a higher male ratio, around 60-70% seem to be male.

I would really appreciate if Dubi would chime in here as I'm sure he's seen larger populations of the purple haze IBL grown, but I would also appreciate any feedback from persons that have grown the purple haze line specifically or any other lines that have consistently had a higher male to female ratios.

Its of no real importance really, I'm trying to make sense of a conversation about selection and would appreciate some feedback to see if I'm on the correct course of thinking.
:comfort:

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Oldtimer's Haze produces a very high female ratio, regardless of the pheno.
Female/male ratio in regular seeds also depends a lot on growing conditions when plants are reaching sexual maturity,
it's not something that is fully predetermined from the start of germinating the seeds unless you are growing feminized seeds.

SuperBadGrower

That's interesting, or magical, as far as I know you can send cotyledons for sex testing in USA. Are you saying those sex tests are wrong?

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
I’ve found growing temperatures and light spectrum can play a role in m/f ratios. Nutrient make up as well. There’s a lot more to hermaphroditism in marijuana and I think many times truly true male or female is a misnomer. Especially with sativas. My experience with OTH and its crosses is I get mainly females...meaning almost always.

SuperBadGrower

It seems far fetched to me that light color and temperature difference will mutate DNA and decide postnatally for the organism whether the second chromosome is X or Y. I would be interested to see some tests about this. To me it seems doubtful and I heard people got accurate results from early sex testing. OTOH XX plants can grow XY parts so..?

Last edited:

Red October

Female/male ratio in regular seeds also depends a lot on growing conditions when plants are reaching sexual maturity,
it's not something that is fully predetermined from the start of germinating the seeds unless you are growing feminized seeds.
Thank you Dubi for clearing that up, it wasn't clear from the few germination reports I could find on the purple haze IBL specifically. Are you familiar with any other lines that also seem to have a very high ratio of females? I can only identify a few from only reading reports on them, destroyer and Tom hills haze are the only other two I could find with consistent feedback regarding very high female ratios.

Thanks again

Now this is very interesting! My personal experience is that in my tent i get mostly females from regular seeds. Often only 1 male from 10 seeds. The few times I've grown outside the ratio has been more 50/50.

Do you have any input on which variabler that do affect the male/female outcome? I would love to get some advice on how to get more males actually (for pollen chucking :))

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi,

Yes, i think i commented previously the growing variables that affect female/male ratios in regular seeds. When the regular seeds are reaching their sexual maturity:

- Excessive nitrogen produces more males
- High temps produce more males, cooler temps more females
- Plants get rootbound more males, plants have enough root space more females.
- Crowded gardens produce more males, seedlings grown with enough space between them produce more females
- Outdoor seeds planted late in summer produce more males, earlier in spring more females
- Long photoperiods produce more males, shorter photoperiods more females
- Lack of water or nutrients during sexing produce more males, the right amounts of water and nutrients more females
- Plants abused during seedlings stage with stress (excessive pruning and other stress) tend to become male more frequently, properly attended seedlings produce a higher female ratio.
- Lack of proper ventilation in indoor rooms produce a higher male ratio, well ventilated indoor rooms produce more females.
- Yellowish HPS light spectrum produces more males, whiter-bluish light spectrum more females.

Usually tropical pure sativa landraces like Thais, Soth Indians, Colombians, etc ... produce a very high female ratio, although sexually firm males can be harder to find.

Most of our sativa strains (standard/regular releases) of tropical origin produce a high female ratio. Hope it helps.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
You are welcome Red October, other variables that affect female/male ratios in regular seeds:

- Lack of direct light-light intensity produces more males.
- Outdoor grows receiving direct sun in the morning usually produce more females than outdoor gardens that only receive it in the afternoon.

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Hi,

Yes, i think i commented previously the growing variables that affect female/male ratios in regular seeds. When the regular seeds are reaching their sexual maturity:

- Excessive nitrogen produces more males
- High temps produce more males, cooler temps more females
- Plants get rootbound more males, plants have enough root space more females.
- Crowded gardens produce more males, seedlings grown with enough space between them produce more females
- Outdoor seeds planted late in summer produce more males, earlier in spring more females
- Long photoperiods produce more males, shorter photoperiods more females
- Lack of water or nutrients during sexing produce more males, the right amounts of water and nutrients more females
- Plants abused during seedlings stage with stress (excessive pruning and other stress) tend to become male more frequently, properly attended seedlings produce a higher female ratio.
- Lack of proper ventilation in indoor rooms produce a higher male ratio, well ventilated indoor rooms produce more females.
- Yellowish HPS light spectrum produces more males, whiter-bluish light spectrum more females.

Usually tropical pure sativa landraces like Thais, Soth Indians, Colombians, etc ... produce a very high female ratio, although sexually firm males can be harder to find.

Most of our sativa strains (standard/regular releases) of tropical origin produce a high female ratio. Hope it helps.

thank you for sharing. i post this so i can find it later again when i need to.

Latest posts

Latest posts