What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

No Smell, Small Box Sog

Hello to everyoneI'm new to the growing and I have to buy a kit. I have a quite small space and I need to make an installation with no smell in the air. I have the possibility to pull out the extraction air with a pipe, but need to have no smell in the room when the box is closed. For the air who goes outside with pipe if well understood, a filter with active carbon should be ok. When the box is opened,for operating, the smell will invade the room, then will need to eliminate the smell in the room and then go out.*
The space I have is 80 x 59 x 130*I found a box* 80x50x90 or could use use 80x60x140 (if possible, mounting it smaller)I would like to use auto flowering* with a total cicle of 8 weeks with SOG system. Please guys let me know if for you it's possible to do it safely or is too big risk for the smell for a poor harvest.*Thanks a lot for all your suggestions.

Fixer

Buy at lease one big carbon filter and fan and run them at high speed. I'd run your tent under negative pressure with a second smaller filter. If that doesn't do it add an ozone generator. Read the blurb below the filter calculator on Can Filters website. It explains how filters work.

https://canfilters.com/help/filter-calculator/

Perfect !
Thank you Fixer
Thanks a lot
I will check the filters.
About the dimensions of the box and the harvest. In your opinion how dimension could have it ?
That's very important to understand if it could work or not. I mean a lot of work and the harvest need to be satisfying.
Anyone have an idea about it ?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
So you can either clean the air that is in the tent before it comes out, clean the air in the room itself, or some combination of them both. If you truly cannot have any smell I might look into to low odor strains, because even with a filter, it can only filter if the fan runs, and power outages are inevitable on a long enough time scale. Looks like you have like a 4ft x 2ft x 2.5 ft area. I know people do mini grows in PC cases and Mini Fridges, I would take a poke around those threads and see what ideas people had.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=359508
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=125801
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=54232 is a super big thread

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I think my little filters are can. One was used on mums for ages and when used for bud failed straight away. It seemed early but I got another. It failed instantly. I decided to fill the old one with good carbon, but upon opening it saw the problem.

The carbon doesn't reach the top. The last bit is foam you can blow through. A quick feel round the installed one showed it had all the air coming out the ends. I have wrapped gaffer tape around the ends of each so air can only come through at least 50mm of carbon bed. I pull though one and out the other. So my air passes through 100mm of carbon. It's not perfect though. It can't cope in the last couple of weeks or with the peak in the gassious green smell just after lights off.

It's very hard to see unless you are looking, but both filters can be seen gaffered up here

Wow guys you are fantastic !
Compliments f-e for you box it looks very well made.
It seems quite hard to realize a zero smell in the air outside, but I will try with your suggested filters and with a sequence of it and cross the fingers.
For the room where will be the box I will use an extractor with carbon filter and some parfumes and again cross the fingers.
Thanks again guys for your suggestions.
I will keep you update on the developping.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's super simple man, attache a big enough filter to exhaust, passive intake will be enough and remember even if you open the tent leave the extraction fan running.
When you open it, yes you'll get a whiff of cannabis in later flower stages but the filter will clean it all out normally and even the air in the room subsequently.
You should be good, it's exactly ho run mine, only I pull through two veg areas before the air enters the flower compartment and is then extracted via fan and filter. All passive intakes as it's really a small setup.
Best,
CC

CC

That's super simple man, attache a big enough filter to exhaust, passive intake will be enough and remember even if you open the tent leave the extraction fan running.
When you open it, yes you'll get a whiff of cannabis in later flower stages but the filter will clean it all out normally and even the air in the room subsequently.
You should be good, it's exactly ho run mine, only I pull through two veg areas before the air enters the flower compartment and is then extracted via fan and filter. All passive intakes as it's really a small setup.
Best,
CC

CC

This sounds fantastic
I would like to ask you what kind of filters do you use.
Thanks a lot !

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Vulc,
No biggie. I've used various models, I think at the moment it's a rhino filter. I think they all work well but there are significant differences in how long they hold up before things start getting smelly. I'm always using slightly bigger filters than required for the throughput of air and I dim my fan down a bit for less noise. Important though is that you still get enough negative pressure inside the tent to not let anything escape and also pull enough air through the passive intake. Both normally not an issue in small setups. The filter I'm using now is roughly 2 years old and the fan about !! Continuous use that is. I have a fresh set waiting to replace the old fan and filter but they just keep going and no smells, fantastic! Fans will last much longer if you can dim them and don't stop/start them a lot in my experience.
Good luck!
CC

Hello again guys and thanks again for all your suggestions.
I will keep you update on what I'm doing.
I found a space that's 66"x19"x39 and I could fit it with 2 of this boxes
That looks very good and seems to be a good box, but I'm a beginner, so I don't know.

https://www.progrower.eu/en/royalroom/4013-growbox-royalroom-classic-c80sm-80x50x90cm.html

Now I have to mind to the light. Being a quite small box should be better use cold lights to avoid problems in the box warming up. Would like to use led lights, but having to prepare two boxes, it could be too expensive, so I need to find a different solution at least for one of the two. I was minding to the Neon lights.
Someone have suggestions ?
Thanks again to everyone

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Don't go with anything other than leds. For small spaces screw in leds with the opaque cover taken down are very cheap and easy to add as many as you need. Buy quality ones. Like philips osram etc. They will last more and be safer to use. Don't forget they have mains power into them so do not touch them while they are plugged in.
Other options would be mars hydro ts600 or ts1000 led panels, they are cheap enaugh and do a good job for that price.
Floros (cfl or neon) will be more expensive to buy and run and will not do a better job than the leds would.
Also, I would prefer a single box and not 2 separate smaller boxes, but if you can't do that I guess you can do fine with 2 of them as well. It would just be cheaper and easier to just have one.

thanks Exploviz for making clear the question of the lights. Quite expensive, but if so necessary I will resign my self.
One extra quesion. I found a box that is 120lx60px180h
I' don't have so much high but I can arrive max at 110. Do you think is possible with some modify in the structure and maybe making a new door to make it lower at the 110 cm ?
https://www.progrower.eu/pl/royalro...ssic-c120s-120x60x180cm-namiot-do-uprawy.html

As last about your opinion guys with a single box of 31x19x35 how could be the harvest ?
https://www.progrower.eu/en/royalroo...0x50x90cm.html

Thanks a lot guys

Hello to everyone
Just to give a small contribute.
Whatching around I found also other lamps with a good reputation from growers.
This are the Spiderfarmer, very similar to the Mars Hydro, maybe it could be useful for someone