What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quick Question - Should i trim back roots in Root Riot Cubes?

Hi All

I have cuttings that i have left to long in RR cubes, the roots are around 4-10" long.

Should i trim them back before i transplant them into bigger rockwool cubes or should i just leave them be and force them into the hole into the rockwool?

Thanks

sdd420

Veteran
Hi All

I have cuttings that i have left to long in RR cubes, the roots are around 4-10" long.

Should i trim them back before i transplant them into bigger rockwool cubes or should i just leave them be and force them into the hole into the rockwool?

Thanks

I used to split the cube in half and put in cube with seedling at desired height and then let roots come out the bottom, never a problem. Don’t damage any roots especially the tap root

I used to split the cube in half and put in cube with seedling at desired height and then let roots come out the bottom, never a problem. Don’t damage any roots especially the tap root

They are cuttings mate with VERY long roots (no tap roots etc).

It seems from reply above that i have to try and delicatly put the mass of root into the small hole in the Rockwool cubes.

I have never let them get this long before, i presumed they might rot as there's so much of them.

cheers

imiubu

They are cuttings mate with VERY long roots (no tap roots etc).

It seems from reply above that i have to try and delicatly put the mass of root into the small hole in the Rockwool cubes.

I have never let them get this long before, i presumed they might rot as there's so much of them.

cheers

When I ran hydro and cuts/ seedlings roots grew too long, I would hold the roots over top/ inside the rock wool 'hole' longest roots touching the bottom and slowly lowering while giving the rooting cube/ clone a twirl. If some roots began to pop out of the top of the hole, I gently guided them in with my finger.
Never had an issue breaking roots off this way. Clones/ seedlings never skipped a beat either.

Best O luck.