What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Khalifa Genetics strains

Aladdin.Khalifa

Hi Aladdin,
I have a question about the seed cracking of the Sibirian Ruderalils.
I had no germination success until now (8 seeds left out of 18 in a package if I remeber right). After a good soak (10 days) in a cup of water on a heating pad, I have tried cracking some with tweezer and some with finger nails. In some cases the white inner of the seed oozed out. In other cases only a soft crackle could be heard, what made me optimistic at first.
Is it better to press the edge or the curved/flat surface of a seed?
How should the germination rate be when only freezing and afterwards soaking the seeds?
Hello @paisajedehierba.

10 days is too long for a soak, we usually soak them for only 24 hours.
Then you can crack the seeds between your fingernails.
Here is a video we made to help people sprout these seeds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgqzqGdMXhQ&t=169s

Cold treatment will also work but manually cracking the seeds will give you the best results. :)

Cheers, Al

Aladdin.Khalifa

Hi @yesum, The trippiest strains are the Kullu and the Cambo we are currently working on. The Kullu can get you really high after only a couple of puffs. The first time we tried it (one hour before going to bed), I couldn't even sleep, I was feeling hot and my mind was racing. lol

My personal favorites for smoking are the Chellakutti for being social and energized and the Sheberghan before going to bed. The Sheberghan also has a very sweet/long lasting aftertaste. It coats your mouth and taste a bit like fake sugar/Aspartame.

Hello @mac 10 , Great question, I would have to say the Sheberghan. It produces good amounts or trichomes and the quality of the hash is just amazing. The smoke is incredibly smooth with that sweet aftertaste that I love. The Beldia is also great with an old school hash taste but not as frosty. If we are only talking about the quality of the hash then both the Moroccan and the Sheberghan are great :)

Best,
Al

Nannymouse

420giveaway
Just last night mouse was thinking about rootstock strains for up north. I ended up having many questions about Cannabis roots.

Just what all will the rootstock do? Will the top of the plant go into flower like a ruderalis? Flower time follows rootstock or graft? Is there a thread concerning these things?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
Hi Al what can you tell us about the plants used in the chellakutti reproduction?
I have 7 fems growing under a scrog net with 3 of them still stretching like hell and 4 with little stretch over the last 4 weeks. They are now at 7 1/2 weeks of 11/13 and the less stretchy ones flowered early with little buds forming at 3 weeks.
Got 14/14 sprouted, they have nice vigor in veg and are quiet hardy in terms of watering. Also got some mutations like some branches show trifoliation or some tops spilt on their own.
Thx chilliwilli

romanoweed

I am not Expert, but i recall vaguely, it results not in a genetical Mix. rather not ... The only Effect is that you can heighten the Size of a Plant. Means thin Sativa placed on fat Afgani yealds more due to Size of Rootstock...
Its rather a Body-physical Modulation.
But im not that shure, great Idea.

F2F

Just last night mouse was thinking about rootstock strains for up north. I ended up having many questions about Cannabis roots.

Just what all will the rootstock do? Will the top of the plant go into flower like a ruderalis? Flower time follows rootstock or graft? Is there a thread concerning these things?

Hiya Nanny,

Great thread on grafting at the link below

Grafting

The OP and SamS have commented best to use long flowering rootstock if any of the grafts will be long flowering, like equal to or longer than the longest flowering graft.

Peace,
F2F

yoss33

Veteran
Here are 3 Kullus revegging after producing some seeds. The smoke of the seeded "buds" was superb - very sharp, energetic and motivating. Waiting for them to start flowering again.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

mack 10

Veteran
Hi @yesum, The trippiest strains are the Kullu and the Cambo we are currently working on. The Kullu can get you really high after only a couple of puffs. The first time we tried it (one hour before going to bed), I couldn't even sleep, I was feeling hot and my mind was racing. lol

My personal favorites for smoking are the Chellakutti for being social and energized and the Sheberghan before going to bed. The Sheberghan also has a very sweet/long lasting aftertaste. It coats your mouth and taste a bit like fake sugar/Aspartame.

Hello @mac 10 , Great question, I would have to say the Sheberghan. It produces good amounts or trichomes and the quality of the hash is just amazing. The smoke is incredibly smooth with that sweet aftertaste that I love. The Beldia is also great with an old school hash taste but not as frosty. If we are only talking about the quality of the hash then both the Moroccan and the Sheberghan are great :)

Best,
Al

Thanks for reply.
Def would like to try both the Balk, Sheberghan
(Such a good name) and of course the Moroccan.
Would be interesting to see the diff quality of hash/trichomes between the Afghani v the Moroccan.
I have some experience with the Moroccan and with newer
Indica Dom Afghan types.
(Which generally have much bigger resin heads)
The Moroccans usually have the more sand/dry texture resin and the modern hybrids have more sticky resin (before being pressed)

SolarLogos

Hi Aladdin,
I have a question about the seed cracking of the Sibirian Ruderalils.
I had no germination success until now (8 seeds left out of 18 in a package if I remeber right). After a good soak (10 days) in a cup of water on a heating pad, I have tried cracking some with tweezer and some with finger nails. In some cases the white inner of the seed oozed out. In other cases only a soft crackle could be heard, what made me optimistic at first.
Is it better to press the edge or the curved/flat surface of a seed?
How should the germination rate be when only freezing and afterwards soaking the seeds?
Greetings friend. Try cracking the seeds or scarify with very fine sand paper, only one or two passes along the edge of the seed, before you soak. Only need a pinhole at the most to let water in. Use a french press or tea strainer or something to weigh them down if they want to float. 12 hours is good but 24 hours max. Too long and the seed gets mushy like you said. You can add a small amount of H2o2 to add additional oxygen to the water or coconut water for old seeds. Best of luck
Peace, God bless

Aladdin.Khalifa

Hello @Nannymouse,
Good question. I've never tried grafting but I would think that the flowering time would follow the graft. The root stock will probably just help increase the vigor. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey there Chilliwilli,
Yes indeed, we didn't line-breed. Instead we used all phenos for the reproduction run (apart from the herms, weak plants and mutants). That way most of the genetic diversity is still present.
There are 2 major phenos. 1) less stretchy, relatively fast flowering. 2)Tall and long flowering. However they all have a similar terp profile and similar effects.

Aladdin.Khalifa

Hello @Yoss33,
Your plants are beautiful, congratulations. I hope you'll like the seedless bud even more ;-) Cheers.

Hi @Mack 10,
Right on. The beldia produces much smaller trichomes and the hash is sandier/chalkier. The Afghan tend to produce much bigger trichome heads and the hash is more pliable and stickier. Also when making beldia Hash, it's important to use a sieve with a smaller micron size.

Best,
Al

romanoweed

that Rootstockingidea s actually great

i reserched that Topic quiet intensely couple years ago, cause i wanted to know the scientfic Sides of Cannabis, pushing Boundaries.
I came to the conclusion the Genetic doesent Change in a Graft. Everyone was telling me that, so: upper Part is upper Genetic, Rootstock is Rootstockgenetic.

However, if you think over your Idea, what happens if the Rootstock of an Automatic Strain lives short. Well, i cant say in wich Part of a Plant the decision for Flowering-onset is made, if it is made in the Rootstock , the Stem of a Plant it might force a upper Sativagraft to flower.
Sadly i guess rather that decision is made in upper Parts of a Plant. The measurements are made in Leafes, shure. And the "Brain" ? Sadly i rather think the "Brain" of a Plant lies somewher in the upper Parts, cause atleast in Animals, rarely an Animal has their Brain at the bottom.. So i guess doesent work, but like said probably that Decision is made in the Stem, probably an upper Stem, so you could try grafting a Satia as high up in the Plant as possible on an Automatic.

romanoweed

I thought further:

What if you graft an Automatic on the Top, a pure Satvia as Stalk, but also leave two, tree Sativa branches, before you graft the Automatic on top. The automatics "brain" makes Decision to flower early, but would the few sativa-branches also get that Floweringimpulse already in midsummer..?

Last edited:

BenoitV1984

Veteran
The only reason we use rootstock is productivity, bigger fruits (well regular-sized fruits as you don’t want to eat baby apples or baby peers from seeds plants) and last but not least is to match the type of soil. The later should actually be the only reason that matters and it’s a mistake a lot of people makes when choosing their rootstock.

I can’t see any benefits proceeding that way for cannabis as they can grow in any kind of soil (i.e. muddy-sandy, clay-muddy, ...) except if you want to grow different strains on a same plant but you better be sure they will require the same feeding.

Oh and btw, about that bottom and brain thing, there are actually synapses in your bottom and it’s called the enteric nervous system.

romanoweed

there are actually synapses in your bottom and it’s called the enteric nervous system.

In Humans, yes. But humans have a Brain. Back to Plants: In Plants , if you cut one of couple Branche off it doesent seem to matter if any at all.

They are kind of transformable. I could suspect therefore, if you graft one part an automatic, there is no communication to other graft-parts, ok actually communication is, but not in a way that one part tells the other to doo something wich he actually wouldnt doo. Probably it still can be done if one Part accepts the Info like a Hirarchie . If you find the Nerve-center, but like said plants seem kind of transfomable/therefore nerved everywhere

paisajedehierba

Greetings friend. Try cracking the seeds or scarify with very fine sand paper, only one or two passes along the edge of the seed, before you soak. Only need a pinhole at the most to let water in. Use a french press or tea strainer or something to weigh them down if they want to float. 12 hours is good but 24 hours max. Too long and the seed gets mushy like you said. You can add a small amount of H2o2 to add additional oxygen to the water or coconut water for old seeds. Best of luck
Peace, God bless

Hi SolarLogos,
thanks for your perspective. I have ordered a new package Sibirian Ruderalis. To use fine sand paper before a 24 h soak will be the next attempt anytime in the upcoming indoor season. I will send a "Hooray" when the first seed has sprouted.