What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super Malawi Haze

goingrey

I'll stick to an EC somewhere around 1.6 and see how that goes. Do you usually use full strength nutrients right off the bat, or do you ramp up to it in the first few weeks of growth?

It's best to start off light and then slowly work your way up while keeping a keen eye on the plants. A good rule of thumb is to start with a "half strength" solution.

Not sure how sensible it is to compare EC levels as the right level will depend on the fertilizer, the water, the phenotype, and environmental factors. But... if you look at pages 8-9 of this thread, you will see that MIGreenman found 1.7 to be too hot even in mid-flower. Based on that I would say that 1.6 is way too much for young plants.

Occiput

It's best to start off light and then slowly work your way up while keeping a keen eye on the plants. A good rule of thumb is to start with a "half strength" solution.

Not sure how sensible it is to compare EC levels as the right level will depend on the fertilizer, the water, the phenotype, and environmental factors. But... if you look at pages 8-9 of this thread, you will see that MIGreenman found 1.7 to be too hot even in mid-flower. Based on that I would say that 1.6 is way too much for young plants.

It's definitely tough to compare ECs without context, but I figured it would give me a general idea. I'll start at low levels and work up to something moderate. Thanks for the reference to the earlier pages!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi to you dubi ,

How do I rate this years harvest of the Super Malawi Haze?, Well the simple answer is ... Awesome!, but to do the question justice, I've spent the entire day devoting myself to the answer.

I've recently stopped smoking all together and for the last 6weeks have been vaping and eating cob only. Prior to that i would usually smoke about 3g/day, so i consider that I've a fairly high tolerance.

I order to do it properly, i got myself a pen and paper and decide to write down my observations as i vaped.

So the last of the harvest was on the 18th of December and it was dried for a couple of weeks or possibly a little more. In hindsight, she could have come down a week or so earlier (before the last big wind) and lost some trichs because of it.
IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

​​The buds appear quite dense but in fact have very little weight to them, less than the Nev's Haze pheno that I had last year. I don't bother weighing my plants these days, but i have 2 very large jars full and lots of Malawi style cobs. After the Panama, I'd say this was my best producing plant.

On opening the jar, I'm reminded of the smell on entering the old church in the village where I was born , incense and a little musty. After grinding her up, the smell is, a little church incense, faint lemon and weak cat piss! Not one of the nicest smelling weeds I've ever grown. The smell is not strong, It's possible to have a small quantity ground up ready in a bag and it not be detected during a routine police traffic stop, as proved by Mrs DM and myself on returning from the beach (in February!) the other day.

The first puff on the vape at 180c produces very little vapor and there is a slight metallic tinge to the taste. Second and third puffs and the vapor starts to really come through, the metallic taste is superseded by Homemade lemonade, a couple more puffs, still at 180c, and i'm getting toasted malt and a little fresh tobacco (I'm missing the tobacco!). This is my first smoke of the day, but I'm already feeling nicely high.
Some friends arrive for morning coffee and the note taking is forgotten for the next hour and a half. Whilst the friends are here, I continue taking little sips from the vape but now at 195c.

After they leave, it's almost 12am and i take Mrs DM into the village and return home to continue "my work for the day" IE reviewing the SMH. There is still a little left in the vape and I turn it up to the max and finish it. Wow, I've only had one vape over the course of almost 3 hrs and i'm really nicely high and don't really need to have anymore...!But this is research and i fill another bowl. This time when i go up to 195c, I try and determine the flavor... Fresh tobacco. Up at 210c there's not much flavor left but there still a sweetness to the vapor. By the time the vapor is starting to diminish, the flavor is unpleasant and i consider it finished. The second bowl was over and done with in about 25minutes and i'm very high now. I wander round the garden, talk to any of the cats who come up to me and admire the bulbs that are starting to show. Yes, I'm very high and ought to do something constructive. I know, I'll do another bowl before the wife gets home. Over the course of the next half an hour or so i manage to do a third bowl. The time is now about 2 pm and it is quite normal for me to have had 3 bowls or more by this time.

Mrs DM comes home and it's not long before she comments on how high i seem. My eyes are a little squinty, but she says that my talking is slowed down and for her, thats the give away. Ordinarily she rarely comment's unless i'm exceptionally high.

Over the next 3 hours i do another couple of bowls, before more friends arrive and 2 of them both independently comment on how high i seem!

It's now 10 in the evening, it's been at least 2 hours since my last puff on the vape and i'm still nicely high. Time for a refill I think!

This is very strong weed. I've given people just one or two puffs on the vape, and they have been completely off their faces! It seems to have less body stone to it than the Nevs haze pheno that i had last year. If I vape enough quickly, then it leaves me a little mentally challenged, i can forget what i'm meant to be doing and get sidetracked onto something else. I don't smoke it on the days that i go to my yoga class or on the days that i teach Tai Chi, as i find i go too deep inside myself, but as soon as the classes are over, then it's what i normally go to!. Everyone who's tried it likes it, but some have declined to smoke it on subsequent visits, claiming that it is too strong! The early tests from the cobs are something else, almost lysergic! Almost an hour has passed since I wrote "time for a refill" and i still haven't got round to it.. That's always a good sign!

Well, it's now another day and in fact it is my BD, so today i'm breaking out the Golden Tiger!

Have a great weekend folks!​

GreenestBasterd

G’day from downunder, hope all are well!

Excellent thread with tons information, thanks to all.

I’m patiently waiting for my current outdoor plants to finish, then it’s back inside to pop my Ace cherry😉 and try my hand at some of the longer flowering strains.
My plan is to do the Malawi and super Malawi haze together but open to any suggestions.

very, very exited to say the least.

I’ll be sure to update the thread with pictures of the plants once they get going. (if that’s ok)

have a great afternoon.
Green

Cactus Squatter

5842A1D1-573D-43D2-A788-B634D6153C78.jpeg
3 weeks since 12/12. Stem rub smells extremely menthol. Stupid insane menthol.
Not as many branches as the other Haze crosses growing around her, but the branches she does have are building super strong stems and looking like they’re going to have some serious donk colas on them. Slightly slower growing than the KA5H, Tikal and C5KC. Just slightly.
also responded very well to LST.

SeaDog_BC

Does anyone know which malawi parent was used for this cross (old/new/?)

Apologies if this information is already in the thread, I did read through it but I may have missed it.

Occiput

Hi everyone, I wanted to get some input on my SMH. Some magnesium and calcium deficiencies stopped me from topping for a mainline for a lot longer than I would have liked, but in the past few weeks I've been able to top 3 times to get it going. I think the issues were largely a function of using too-weak nutes; I've gradually raised the inflow EC from 0.6 to 1.3, but then started seeing tip burn, so I've taken it back down to 1.1. Today outflow EC was back in line. Interestingly, I've noticed outflow EC being lower than inflow for the entirety of the grow other than in the past few days (EC 1.3).

Based on previous posts in the thread, it seems like stretch is somewhat unpredictable with this strain, with some people noting significant stretch, and some none at all. Does anyone have any advice on when I should switch to flower so that I end up with my screen being pretty well filled out? I'm tucking growth under the screen as necessary to keep everything level. I don't have too much vertical space to play with, so I'd like to keep everything at screen level. I'm thinking of dropping photoperiod from 18/6 to 15/9, 13/11, and 11/13 over the next few weeks, but I don't know if it would be too early (or late?) to fill the screen. Better safe than sorry I guess.

SMH 4.28.22 (1).jpg

I think I still have a minor calcium deficiency happening, but I'd love to hear what you guys think. My conditions are about 85°F, 70%RH, currently feeding 5x daily (EC 1.1, pH 5.8) in a 1.3 gallon pot filled with sifted coco and a little perlite.

SMH 4.28.22 (2).jpg
SMH 4.28.22 (3).jpg

I've also seen a bit of variegation here and there, which has been kinda neat. Not sure if anyone has seen that with SMH before? Currently a stem rub smells very spicy, with a bit of black licorice. I expect that will change significantly once flowering starts.

OZZ_

Veteran
Hi everyone, I wanted to get some input on my SMH. Some magnesium and calcium deficiencies stopped me from topping for a mainline for a lot longer than I would have liked, but in the past few weeks I've been able to top 3 times to get it going. I think the issues were largely a function of using too-weak nutes; I've gradually raised the inflow EC from 0.6 to 1.3, but then started seeing tip burn, so I've taken it back down to 1.1. Today outflow EC was back in line. Interestingly, I've noticed outflow EC being lower than inflow for the entirety of the grow other than in the past few days (EC 1.3).

Based on previous posts in the thread, it seems like stretch is somewhat unpredictable with this strain, with some people noting significant stretch, and some none at all. Does anyone have any advice on when I should switch to flower so that I end up with my screen being pretty well filled out? I'm tucking growth under the screen as necessary to keep everything level. I don't have too much vertical space to play with, so I'd like to keep everything at screen level. I'm thinking of dropping photoperiod from 18/6 to 15/9, 13/11, and 11/13 over the next few weeks, but I don't know if it would be too early (or late?) to fill the screen. Better safe than sorry I guess.

View attachment 18127733

I think I still have a minor calcium deficiency happening, but I'd love to hear what you guys think. My conditions are about 85°F, 70%RH, currently feeding 5x daily (EC 1.1, pH 5.8) in a 1.3 gallon pot filled with sifted coco and a little perlite.

View attachment 18127736 View attachment 18127737

I've also seen a bit of variegation here and there, which has been kinda neat. Not sure if anyone has seen that with SMH before? Currently a stem rub smells very spicy, with a bit of black licorice. I expect that will change significantly once flowering starts.

Hello,

What nutes are you using?

What kind of water?

Are you using cal mag?

Are you under LEDs?

Piff_cat

View attachment 18127733

View attachment 18127736 View attachment 18127737

this is a very desirable mutation coming from the 69 haze males. the cuban black haze also carries it. its caused by chromosomal irregularity which changes the balance of gene dosage. this in turn creates extreme phenotype for the traits located on the specific chromosome with the mutation. aneuploidy is the most common chromosome mutation to cause this. a plant can have 2 copies of all chromosomes and then 3 copies of one changing the gene dosage. definitely hold on to this lady important for breeding or research purposes and also great smoke! heres a couple more pics. uptown black is (cuban black haze x piff s2) and next sensi jack herer

Attachments

• jpiff2.jpg
    jpiff2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 83
  • uptownblackk.jpg
    uptownblackk.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 76

DJM

I second the previous statement all the best hazes I have all have that discolored leaf curl , including my keeper of super Malawi haze and I believe it comes from the haze side and is very common among the old hazes.. id take back up cuts of that SMH because all that had that leaf curl were winners

Occiput

Hello,

What nutes are you using?

What kind of water?

Are you using cal mag?

Are you under LEDs?
Hi OZZ_,
I'm using 1.5mL/gal CaliMagic, 2.5g/gal Megacrop v3, and 1g/gal MgSO4 in distilled water. I might switch over to using RO in the near future. I started using distilled when I was running lower EC to try to be able to supplement as much MgSO4 as possible while still being able to use a decent amount of Megacrop.

I am under LEDs. It seems like the plants I've had under LEDs require at least 1g/gal of MgSO4 to not have Mg deficiencies. I started noticing a Ca deficiency when I was using that much Mg and only 0.5mL/gal calmag, so I upped it a bit. I'm sure the Ca:Mg ratio was way off and inhibiting Ca uptake (maybe it still is).
this is a very desirable mutation coming from the 69 haze males. the cuban black haze also carries it. its caused by chromosomal irregularity which changes the balance of gene dosage. this in turn creates extreme phenotype for the traits located on the specific chromosome with the mutation. aneuploidy is the most common chromosome mutation to cause this. a plant can have 2 copies of all chromosomes and then 3 copies of one changing the gene dosage. definitely hold on to this lady important for breeding or research purposes and also great smoke! heres a couple more pics. uptown black is (cuban black haze x piff s2) and next sensi jack herer
This is great info Piff, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Thanks for the example photos as well. I'm glad I mentioned the variegation. I will do my best to make some clones and keep a mother for the future.
I second the previous statement all the best hazes I have all have that discolored leaf curl , including my keeper of super Malawi haze and I believe it comes from the haze side and is very common among the old hazes.. id take back up cuts of that SMH because all that had that leaf curl were winners
Thanks for the input DJM, I've never cloned before but I'm going to go for it using the technique you described in your Coco Trees thread (which has a great wealth of info, thanks for all that). Do you think it would be unwise to take cuttings for cloning in week 2 or 3 of flower, as stretch is finishing but before preflowers show up? I'd like to avoid totally chopping the plant before it has a chance to grow/stretch much, but I suppose I could take some cuttings and then let it veg for longer to compensate for the lost growth.

I'll post some additional questions about this mutation in The Haze Hybrid Thread to avoid derailing this one too much (suggestions for better places to ask?).

OZZ_

Veteran
Hi OZZ_,
I'm using 1.5mL/gal CaliMagic, 2.5g/gal Megacrop v3, and 1g/gal MgSO4 in distilled water. I might switch over to using RO in the near future. I started using distilled when I was running lower EC to try to be able to supplement as much MgSO4 as possible while still being able to use a decent amount of Megacrop.

I am under LEDs. It seems like the plants I've had under LEDs require at least 1g/gal of MgSO4 to not have Mg deficiencies. I started noticing a Ca deficiency when I was using that much Mg and only 0.5mL/gal calmag, so I upped it a bit. I'm sure the Ca:Mg ratio was way off and inhibiting Ca uptake (maybe it still is).

This is great info Piff, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Thanks for the example photos as well. I'm glad I mentioned the variegation. I will do my best to make some clones and keep a mother for the future.

Thanks for the input DJM, I've never cloned before but I'm going to go for it using the technique you described in your Coco Trees thread (which has a great wealth of info, thanks for all that). Do you think it would be unwise to take cuttings for cloning in week 2 or 3 of flower, as stretch is finishing but before preflowers show up? I'd like to avoid totally chopping the plant before it has a chance to grow/stretch much, but I suppose I could take some cuttings and then let it veg for longer to compensate for the lost growth.

I'll post some additional questions about this mutation in The Haze Hybrid Thread to avoid derailing this one too much (suggestions for better places to ask?).

Got it, I’m afraid I may not be of much help in that case…. I use RO water and string LEDs but cover myself with a full 7 ml/gal of cal mag as my base. If you’re using tap water with those additions Im not sure then, but I Can say that with my RO and 7 ml cal mag Im at about .5-.6 EC with no other nutrient additions. For whatever it’s worth

Last edited:

Occiput

Got it, I’m afraid I may not be of much help in that case…. I use RO water and string LEDs but cover myself with a full 7 ml/gal of cal mag as my base. If you’re using tap water with those die if Uc additions Im not sure then, but I Can say that with my RO and 7 ml cal mag Im at about .5-.6 EC with no other nutrient additions. For whatever it’s worth
Thanks OZZ, I put 4mL Calimagic in a gallon of distilled water and measured 0.7EC, which is interesting considering cal mag and calimagic seem to be comparably concentrated. I started looking for broad mites, thinking they could possibly be the cause of the seeming nutrient deficiency, and found these:
Mites? (5).jpg
So that's not great.
I also flipped to 11/13 two days ago after realizing that this plant is going to fill up my screen no problem with a decent amount of stretch, so we'll see how things are looking in a few weeks.
SMH Day 2 Flower.jpg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Love it Hombre del mont :love: thank you so much for taking the whole day to analyze in detail and without distractions the qualities of your last year Super Malawi Haze.
I already realized it was a very Haze dominant expression during its growth and flowering (what we describe in the strain description as Near Pure Haze pheno) due to its very long flowering (mid December harvest), very thin stems, more delicate and airy flower structures, etc .... glad that despite being a pheno with lesser Killer Malawi or Nevil's Haze evident content, the power, profound, trippy and long lasting effects are still there, the woody incensey terps you comment along with the tobacco and malt taste are also quite common with this strain/pheno. Glad you and your friends find it really strong and challenging, that's how SMH should always be! ;)

What's your plan for this season ? Hope you are having a great spring time there!
And please, accept my apologies for the delay in the reply, i though i already did! :asskick:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi @dubi it was/is my pleasure to devoting my day's to your strains. Since I wrote my report on the SMH improved further for having had a good few months in the jar; as have all the fine weeds of yours that I grew. Sadly all the jar cured Panama has gone; It was my daughters favourite. The cob version continues to get better by the week.

What are my plans for this year?
So this year I've moved slightly away from previous years where I've done exclusively Ace genetics. Thanks to my exploits on Icmag, I've found myself with a few different beans to try this year. I'm still doing Golden Tiger, but where I was going to do a Malawi grow, I'm replacing it with Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian (so still inspired by Ace genetics); I'll save the Malawi beans for another year. I also have some Zamal (mango carrot)x Tom Hill Haze, Some Original Haze (as reproduced by Flower power) and some Zacateca Tribute. Now that I write this, I'm sort of thinking that "I wish I'd set off some Panama beans also".

I was intending to perhaps put some photos up once they all get going a bit more and have been sexed. The Golden Tiger is feminized and is already i the ground; I'll post pictures in due course.

@dubi if you don't mind I'll still post my progress in the Ace forum even though I've stepped outside the family?

Attachments

• S6000272.JPG
    S6000272.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 55

Occiput

Hi @dubi, I posted a thread in the infirmary subforum and people over there suggested it was spider mites, not broad mites. Does it look more like broad mites to you? Here's some damage I found a week or so ago, but I can't find any indication of any mites anymore after some spraying.
Mite Damage 5.15.22.jpg
On a different note, stem rubs now smell like tobacco and menthol, as others have previously noted. It's very interesting. It's currently day 14 post-flip to 11/13, and pistils started showing at flowering sites a few days ago. The plant has definitely stretched significantly, although in more of a branchy way than in a vertical growth way. I've been tucking branches every day and they aren't showing any signs of stopping just yet.

Day 2:
SMH Day 2 Flower.jpg
Day 14:
Week Two Flower 5.19.22.jpg
I'm looking forward to seeing flowers start to develop.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi [USER=10402]@dubi if you don't mind I'll still post my progress in the Ace forum even though I've stepped outside the family?

Of course, feel free to post your endeavours with other genetics in your thread if you wish :) this room is also your home.

Occiput i don't see any spider mite sign in your leaves, spider mites can be found (eggs, adults, theirs nets and bites) with naked eye while Polyphagotarsonemus latus can only be detected with microscope. Tops and new growth look heatlhy so maybe it's was just a bit of variegation at some point of the growth, keep alert and check for more symptoms in new and old growth just in case.