What's new

Mold problem, should i cure left over coalas in 65%rh even if they have little mold

three days ago, in 8th week of flowering i spotted molded spots on two colas of the plant. i took off colas that were infected with the mold.
i have one plant and i invested in her to be really god, but one thing i did wrong, is that 12 hrs of "no light" was in a small space without ventilation where RH probably was going high, so there is possible answer to why she got mold.
i left the plant alive as she has left only ten days till harvest.
i emediately moved her to better sleep position, room fool of air and ventilation.
today i saw on second main cola in between flower near the stem little of mold.

should i take this cola off immediately? or maybe dry it with the whole plant and put it in the separate cure jar, i dont know in what RH this mold is active.

and the rest of the plant that be visibly without the mold, can i dry it on 65%RH 65F (to be tastier) or should i dry it on lower RH because of the possible mold activation?

what would be best options for curing?

The mold is somewhere brownish and turns the flower in "brown ash", and somewhere it looks white like spider web.

Koondense

Veteran
In case you have mold on buds, dry them at 50-40% RH and after a good inspection put them in jars at 55-60% RH.
Mold can spread at 65% easily if there is some on your buds, so less humidity in the jar is necessary.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
personally i would suggest chopping the whole plant now and amputating and discarding EVERYTHING that shows ANY signs of mold, you don't want to be smoking moldy bud.

...i have to say too that i'm not the best guy to ask as i have never had mold in my grow, i did get powdery mildew once about 8 years ago and i did have a jar of bud go moldy once but niether situation really qualifies me to give advice to someone in your situation, ...so what i'm getting at is you should reach out for advice from others more qualified than i.

peace, bozo

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like botrytis. Look it up. I'd remove every sign of it. It can move through an entire crop in 24 hours. Careful not to send spores flying.

yes its botryritis, the nugs that had it i cut off and put them in hydrogen and ro water, then lemon + soda and ro water and then 2x ro water.

Tomorow morning im going to cut other main cola. So im gonna be left only with little nugs. Should i wait 7 days more maybe they dont develop boytritis?

Cos she is now in ventilated room, and after 3 days only thing i can see is one main cola with mold, but only when u divide flower and look up to the stem. im going to cut the main one but what to do with the rest...

i have a lot of small nugs and they all look fine, bortyritis seemsto got only big ones. I think when she was in closet with no ventilation RH went to more then 75%...

thnx all

I coudnt wait, i went there and cut those las 2 big coalas. Im just thinkig should i do hydrogen thing or put them in waste bag... they have white mold (early stage of borytritis).

Im gonna leave all the other nugs for a week or so, to see what happenes.

What a beginers mistake i made, and such a beautiful plant... Is there any harm of washing the nugs with hydrogen soda and lemon, dry them and smoke them?

TripleDraw27

Veteran
I coudnt wait, i went there and cut those las 2 big coalas. Im just thinkig should i do hydrogen thing or put them in waste bag... they have white mold (early stage of borytritis).

Im gonna leave all the other nugs for a week or so, to see what happenes.

What a beginers mistake i made, and such a beautiful plant... Is there any harm of washing the nugs with hydrogen soda and lemon, dry them and smoke them?

Dont smoke those buddy.:tiphat: It happens, generally the donkey dicks get it. Part of business, just discard and be extremely vigilant. Yes you can cut it out, but just know after its cut out, you must still check those particular nugs. Dont mix your suspects with the good nug either. You have a huge tree right there, no need to ingest Bot. Good luck, and make sure you have air flow!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Botrytis originates in your soil. The best ways to prevent it besides good ventilation and moderate RH is to encourage a living soil which supports the growth of Trichoderma fungi and Streptomyces bacteria. Both of these are ubiquitous but you can purchase spores of both. They occur naturally in good quality compost. Streptomyces is found in a product called Actinovate.

I have had limited success treating botrytis with a watery extract I've made from Japanese Knotweed which grows worldwide. It works better as a prophylactic than as a treatment post infection.

Thx Tim, its to late for that... I cuted yesterday big ones, and today i seperated mid sized ones, they have little mold just starting, very very little.

So im only thinking should i chop her tomorow, dry the whole plant and put mid sized ones in one jar, adn small ones witch obviously has no mold in other jar in see what happenes during curing.

Or leave the plant 7 more days, to ripen up to the end. I justdont know does me changing the envirment in last 5 days and giving her ventilation non stop, will prement that lil mold for spreding.

If u all think its gonna spred anyway, maybe ill cut her tomorow... just dont know should i dry the whole plant, and devid nugs after drying or before...

im totally messed this was my only plant, the other tturned hermie. So no luck for me this year

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry for you pal. At this point just follow your gut as to what you think is finished enough and mold free. Botrytis is a fierce pathogen. It has got me a few times but I learned the lesson of being proactive.

coldcanna

Veteran
As an outdoor new england grower I get it every year, no way around it just a fact.preventative measures is your best bet but your beyond that. If your buds are thickened up enough to sell I would chop plants that have bad infections and just get what you can, I've tried to give plants that extra week or 2 and usually lose that gamble. Problem with bot is that it's pretty bad by the time you can see it on the outside of a cola, so even flowers that might look good can have an infection spreading

I will chop her down today, i just dont know what RH do u recommend me to dry her on?

and i even bought humidifier and learned how to get to 65% rh stable... Now its all for nothing.

i plan to dry them all together on the plant leaveing only sugar leafes and nugs on the plant, and then put mid sized ones in one set of jars and small ones in other set of jars.

Hoping that mid sized ones wont have advancment in the jars and maybe i can get them to cure at least 2,3 weeks. the small ones will go to jar and let God help us all (me and my baby nugs:)

coldcanna

Veteran
I was in the same situation. I break the branches into 18" sections then buck off all the fan leaves and give them a quick trim, pretty much in the general shape of the nugs but not trying to get that precise. My dehumidifier was set to 50% to kind of flash dry everything then I allowed it to swing back up closer to 60. My tip for doing your final trim is to break all the colas down into their smallest buds so you can hunt for any residual bits of mold, this is your best bet in making sure your material is clean before you jar it up.

all mid sized ones has lil of mold, minijatur but still has it.

im thinking of puting the whole plant now, and seperate them after drying. cos i belive the whole plant has spores, so they are infected anyway.

i would try to cure mid sized ones after drying seperated from the lil ones. but she had so much fan blowing into her im sure she has spores everywhere.

im just hoping i will have enough time to cure them humidity without me interupting it goes from 45% to 55%, if i use humidifire i can take it to 60 or 65% but dont know if thats smart.

all in all i think everything is infected ;(

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Thx Tim, its to late for that... I cuted yesterday big ones, and today i seperated mid sized ones, they have little mold just starting, very very little.

So im only thinking should i chop her tomorow, dry the whole plant and put mid sized ones in one jar, adn small ones witch obviously has no mold in other jar in see what happenes during curing.

Or leave the plant 7 more days, to ripen up to the end. I justdont know does me changing the envirment in last 5 days and giving her ventilation non stop, will prement that lil mold for spreding.

If u all think its gonna spred anyway, maybe ill cut her tomorow... just dont know should i dry the whole plant, and devid nugs after drying or before...

im totally messed this was my only plant, the other tturned hermie. So no luck for me this year

Surely your smaller flower is okay yea? Hope you made the best out of it bud :tiphat: Hey at least it wasnt 50 trees you had to discard! And as fucked up as it is, its good to have experienced this.
Im sure you will agree later on in other grows. And Microbeman is full of info!
I had no idea about the Trichoderma, something im paranoid about with cubes:biggrin: Now I know, in regards to mj. Thanks