What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

That "Musty Basement" Smell

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Back when I was in high school and college in a large midwestern city -- late 70s - early 80s -- the most common and generally preferred weed was what was called "Colombian." You could occasionally find some sinsemilla like what is so common today, but it was rare and expensive. The Colombian (who knows where it really came from) was mostly buds, had lots of seeds (ugh), and was golden brown in color. Most notable about this weed though was its aroma. "They" used to say the good stuff "smelled like a musty basement." That's pretty much what it did smell like, though I think I would describe it more as "earthy." Not at all unpleasant. I've never smelled anything like it in the last 20 years.

What I'd like to know is, how did this stuff get that smell? I think I heard somewhere years ago that it came from a fungus. The fungus was supposedly a result of it being packed tightly when wet and exposed to high temps during shipping. That was also the reason for the golden-brown color. Is this true? Was I (and everybody I knew) smoking fungus-laced weed for all those years?

Last edited:

MickTheBrag

probablly because when it was smuggelled into the US. Drug runners usallly dump their weed for a couple of months to let things settle to see if they've been rummbled by the feds. and it was more than likely stashed in a "musty basement" so the weed then takes on a distinctive smell. or left to cure in a musty basement. columbian is good sh#t man.

isit4.20yet

My friend and I were just talking about columbian last night. He was beginning to say "it smelled like..." and I jumped in and said "DIRT". lol We both nodded and said how we hadn't had any in years, although i got some seeds in a bag of street weed not too long ago that had a promising odor and taste. There could be some old genes in there. I guess I'll know in 8 wks when it's done. :)

linux420

Earthy Herb.
I was seeing some good Columbian RedHair fluffy buds as recently as the late 90s when I was liing in the colorado area. It was cheap ($100/oz - $1000/lb), fluffy, deep red and green, smelt like peet moss in a cedar box. It smoked very well and the seeds sprouted bushes that would grow to ungodly sizes.
The guys I got it from always got it in bales rather than bricks.
I miss it. There was also a Oaxacan strain that smelt like a new book and tasted like coffee.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
It was brown because it was dried in the sun. UV rays will tint the color. Why it was called columbian "gold". I got the stuff up until the late 80's but the best stuff I goti heard was from Texas (not brick)

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i run a bagseed sativa that has a dogshit to almost musty profile at times

been running it 15 years or so

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I always thought the musty smell was from mold, which grows very well in 'dank' basements.

...... does any one of you real oldtimers remember the rumor going around back in the day that mold on pot increased the potency?:biggrin:

vaporizeWa

what your smeeling is mildew and mold (just like you smeel in a basement yes) as a result from improper drying and packing techniques topped of with crappy storage methods

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
"Dirt Weed" or "Ditch Weed" were common names for bammer weed back in the day. It wasn't just the smell, it was the texture. Some of it was too dried out and broke up like dirt. The high was usually more sedative than uplifting.

The best Lumbo we used to obtain was seedy but also very dark and sticky. They'd try to pass it off as Chocolate Thai, but there wasn't any good thai in my area in the mid 80s...let alone Chocolate Thai.

HB.

russjcan

I always thought the musty smell was from mold, which grows very well in 'dank' basements.

...... does any one of you real oldtimers remember the rumor going around back in the day that mold on pot increased the potency?:biggrin:
not a rumor it was called "Black Merta" and the procedure was put some stems in a coffee can and bury it for a couple of weeks. Dry it out and smoke it. I tried it once in 74 and it worked. Saw some science that said the mold increased the thc. Back in the 70's we would smoke all of mexico's output before the summer was over.Mexico dialed up production and kept up with demand through the 80's as homegrown started to take over the market.

Doc D

I've found that basement musk in Bodhi's a5/Thai crosses, karma's whiteA5haze crosses, and topdawg's older org. Haze male crosses...

St. Phatty

If Smell was a Department store,

where would the "Musty Basement" section be,

relative to the "used women's underwear" smell section ?

Just another example of stoned lecherous thinking :woohoo:

I guess the Musty Basement smell would be sold in, the basement. :tiphat:

Doc D

They sell a "musk" essential oil... used in making perfumes.

Similar to Frankincense or cedar but with its own subtleties.

I purchased a lot of essential oils to help attune my sniffer. it's fun to try and guess when blindfolded.

Latest posts

Latest posts