What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

run off ph in coco

OHR MAKIF

im using a coco blend to gro in for my first time and my run off is coming out very low 2.3 to 3.0, i balance all my nutes to 5.8 to 6.0 , how can i ajust my soil ph

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
did you leach your coco before using it? some coco requires a good leaching before use.... ide begin with flushing with r/o ph-ed 7 water.... i imagine a coco guru will pop in and give you his two cents though.

OHR MAKIF

no i didnt leach my coco , i didnt kno i had to. im using the royal gold basement mix made in humboldt county. how would i go about leaching my coco.

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Hi

Yes flush with 7 water real good and measure runoff again. Only some coco needs leaching. The better brands are pre flushed. Coco has a ph around 6 and is much closer to ideal than peat based soil. I can't believe the ph is that low.

Please fill this out and be sure to note all additives, ferts amendment and dosages etc. used. Also include some pix if you can. What are the condition of the plants? With ph that low I'd expect they look like hell. If not then perhaps there was a problem when you measured and the reading is incorrect.

SOIL:
What STRAIN are you growing?
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)
What is the age of your plants?
How Tall are the plants?
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
What Nutrient's are you using?How much of each with how much water? How Often? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen?
How often are you watering?
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
What size bulb are you using?
What is the distance to the canopy?
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
What is the canopy temperature?
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?
Are plant's infected with pest's?

OHR MAKIF

SOIL:
What STRAIN are you growing?---- Master kush, OG kush, super silver haze, pot of gold, LA confidential, API (another purple indica)
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?) -----Clone
What is the age of your plants?----clones are @ day 8, veg are 1, 2, 3, and 4 weeks and flowering are 2, 4, and 7 weeks.
How Tall are the plants?---- veg plants range from 10 in to 18 in , flowering plants range from 15in to 25in
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?---- veg and flower
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)----flatland in pots
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)----3 gal 1 in each
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)---Royal gold basement mix soil-less coco, ( contains- coco fiber, coco chips, perlite, lava rock, mushroom compost,(which contains rice hulls, straw, manure, grape pomace and coco hulls), composted turkey manure, fish bone meal, bat guano, seabird guano, kelp meal, silica, alfalfa meal, humic acid derived from leonardite.)
What Nutrient's are you using?How much of each with how much water? How Often? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*— botanicare pure blend pro, cal-mag, liquid karma, hydroguard, sweet, clearex, ----- I use pro gro , cal-mag, liquid karma, hydroguard, humboldt roots, for veg and only after the first 30 days cuz the soil I use is loaded with stuff. I use a 50% dilution from the recomended dosage. For flowering I use pure blend pro bloom, cal-mag, liqued karma, sweet, hdroguard, bud swell, scorpion juice,and in the last 3 weeks I add overdrive, again at a 50% dilution from the recomended dosage. I follow the botanicare soil container garden formula.
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?----well it varys depending on witch week im in, my vegi range from 400 ppm to 800 ppm and my flowering ranges from 800 ppm all the way up to 1500 ppm towards the end.
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?---- my run off comes out alittle low , between 3 and 2.6 usually.
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen?— hanna 3 in 1 pen
How often are you watering?well cuz I have fungus knats I tend to let it dry out between waterings, so about every 4 to 5 days.
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?— 2 days ago both veg and flower, every watering in flowering, only once in veg after 30 days.
What size bulb are you using?—T5 florecent for veg, 1000watt HPS for flower
What is the distance to the canopy?— veg is 8-10 in and flowering is 24 in.
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)–humidity ranges from 37% to 42% for flowering, and between 60 and 65% for veg
What is the canopy temperature?—flowering ranges from 67 to 72 degrees fahrenheit with light on and 60 to 65 degrees with light off, veg is 72 to 78 degrees 24 hr light cycle.
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)I use a 4x4 habitat with an 8in vortex fan connected directly to the light which also acts as my out take through a carbon filter
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?– I have 3 6 in rotating fans on the walls
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?– I tend to let it dry out btween nwaterings
Is your water HARD or SOFT?– kinda soft
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?----I use tap water run through a small boy 5 micron particulit filter and a 5 micron carbon filter.
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?---- some have some havent
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?—bio neem soap, 3 days ago, and every 3 days for the past 2 weeks.
Are plant's infected with pest's?—mild case of mites and a mild case of fungus knats.

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
well right off the bat you are frying those plants, with all the stuff in your soil. They need transplant to some mild soil.

Also your ph is not "a little low", it is insanely low. Correct runoff ph is between 5.8 and 6.8 with 6.3 the middle. Even if you are at 4 and not 3, you are 1000 times more acidic than ideal. PH is logarithmic.

You are spending hundreds if not thousands on nutes why? I think you got everything in there, but the kitchen sink.

I think you need to simply, man. :D

Ono Nadagin

I agree sould take them to straight 100% flushed coco. and give them a very low feedingof your hydro nutes ph'd with a little superthrive if you have it. The soil they are in sounds like it was meant to feed your plants for some time and you are feeding them ontop of that with your hydronutes.

They should rebound fast in coco.... and you can still use the soil for something else but I would cut it into alot of poor soil.

G

What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)---Royal gold basement mix soil-less coco, ( contains- coco fiber, coco chips, perlite, lava rock, mushroom compost,(which contains rice hulls, straw, manure, grape pomace and coco hulls), composted turkey manure, fish bone meal, bat guano, seabird guano, kelp meal, silica, alfalfa meal, humic acid derived from leonardite.)

^^^^ If you're using that mix, then you don't need any of of this ( with the exception of cal mag and I love sweet )

What Nutrient's are you using?How much of each with how much water? How Often? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*— botanicare pure blend pro, cal-mag, liquid karma, hydroguard, sweet, clearex, ----- I use pro gro , cal-mag, liquid karma, hydroguard, humboldt roots, for veg and only after the first 30 days cuz the soil I use is loaded with stuff. I use a 50% dilution from the recomended dosage. For flowering I use pure blend pro bloom, cal-mag, liqued karma, sweet, hdroguard, bud swell, scorpion juice,and in the last 3 weeks I add overdrive, again at a 50% dilution from the recomended dosage. I follow the botanicare soil container garden formula.

That's a pretty hot sounding soiless mix you're using.

ph run off...normally I don't pay any attention to the run off but yours is WAY too low. Are you sure the ph pen is calibrated and working properly? I'm running coco chunks in an ebb and flow, and the rez is usually about 5.5 all the time. I think you need to figure out the reason for it running off too low, and that's the probable reason for your problems. What's the ph going in?

I am unsure as to that mix you're using, but with straight coco it's usually not good to let it dry out too much as it messes up the cation exchange rates and typically causes problems also.

I love diatomaceous earth to kill gnats dead FAST!! Lady bugs would help your mite problem.

OHR MAKIF

ok so i dont feed them anything during the first 30 days of veg, and i usually veg for 30 to 45 days to get them to the size that i like them at. and then i only give them a 50% solution once of pure blend pro gro, cal mag, liquid karma, humboldt roots root accelerator, and hydrdguard. now my flowering room is not showing that kind of damage there showing a light green color and minor eagle clawing.
as soon as my lights come on ill take some pics to show.
and if anyone can recomend a good regimine for the botanicare pure blend pro line that would be sweet. see ive been using botanicare for years on my outdoor scene and have never had problems but im beginning to figure out that my outdoor methods are not aplying over to the indoor scene as well.

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Overfeeding outdoors is less of an issue due to the fact that your light source is the sun, and nutes can leach down into a large area of soil, unlike your small constrained pots.

Be aware that mushroom farmers use salt to kill the mushroom spores in the compost when they are done with it. I would stay away from mushroom compost, you don't need it.

I'd say you are loving your plants to death. You should start with a simple quality soil like FFOF, add 30% perlite some kelp and worm castings, use PBP grow, bloom and calmag, get a successful crop or two done, then add things slowly and see how they work and if they are worth it. PBP is way acidic, so you will probably need to adjust ph up, but only testing will confirm. If you want the best success, save and buy a digi pen. If you can afford the dump truck full of products, you can afford $70 for a pen.

You must be paying like $300 an oz when all is said and done. Not the purpose of homegrown....

Last edited:

OHR MAKIF

ya i guess i went alittle overboard buying stuff, but i just wanted to make sure i had everything i needed while i had the cash, cuz money burnz like hell fire for me with kidz and all. i do have a didgi ph,tds, ec, pen. well thanx for your advice ill start there and work my way up.
KIND LOVING VIBRATIONS>>>>>>

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Sounds good. I've seen this before, it is really surprising to some to discover how little you really need to grow kind herb.

Simple is best.

Good luck to you!

OHR MAKIF

when u say FFOF do you mean fox farm ocean forest and if so would u consider happy frog to be a light soil or roots organics.

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
OHR MAKIF said:
and if anyone can recomend a good regimine for the botanicare pure blend pro line that would be sweet. see ive been using botanicare for years on my outdoor scene and have never had problems but im beginning to figure out that my outdoor methods are not aplying over to the indoor scene as well.

seriously,,,, i barely even measure, I 1/3rd to 1/4th what the label says... believe last time I read it PBP grow mentioned 25-35m a gallon. When I nute... which is far and few between on my mothers..... I give em about 10m (lil under a tablespoon, or 2x teaspoon)..... lil less of LK and about 5ml of CalMag/CalMag+/MagiCal. Again these numbers are for the PureBlendPro line... which can be used just fine in soil gardens but you might get better results with the original.

Latest posts

Latest posts