What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydrohuts killing plants... it's finally over

gregor_mendel

My retailer, who was very cool about my huts, forwarded this to me.

Open Letter from HydroHut to the public

In the last several months, HydroHut has been made aware of and pursued a problem with some of its Huts causing a peculiar plant yellowing leading to plant whitening in certain, sensitive plants. While the issue did not arise in all plants, or all Huts, the existence of a problem was not conducive to our product's mission.

After several months of extensive testing, false positives and much interaction with the public regarding this matter, we have found an EPA approved compound that isn't stable in our plastic and that causes extreme stress to certain sensitive plants. In the future, this compound will be removed during manufacture.

Our focus has been directed at how to remove this compound from the plastic and to do so in a way that we could retroactively repair any HydroHut already in the field. As of February 2008, HydroHut will be repairing any affected HydroHuts at its facility. The exact process by which we repair the HydroHuts is extensive and proprietary and it will be carried out by a trained staff at our locations.

We fully understand that this situation with our product has adversely affected many clients. For this reason, we are standing behind our product and are offering anyone who has been affected a way to have his/her HydroHut repaired free of charge.

Any client, be they end user or store, can arrange to have his HydroHut shipped back to our Los Angeles facility for processing, free of charge. The HydroHut will then be shipped back to the client free of charge.

All inquiries for HydroHut processing should be directed to hydrohuts@gmail.com with no exceptions.

Please provide the following details in the email:

1) Size/model of affected HydroHut

2) Number of affected HydroHuts (only the HydroHut brand will be accepted for processing)

3) Address where the HydroHut can be picked up by UPS call tag (make sure someone is there to meet the UPS driver) Do not use a PO box as UPS will not pick up from a PO box

4) A name to whom/which we can address the package going back to you, the client. (We will make a good faith attempt at getting your product back to you. If nobody is at the address to accept the package three times, the package will be sent back to Los Angeles. Any further attempts to get the package to the client will be paid for by client.)

5) Please remove your HydroHut canvas or skin and box it up. Do not pack up your poles or hardware. Do not remove your frame. Do not attempt to ship us your frame or other items. We will only be call tagging the canvas in a box. You must provide that box and properly seal that box. We will send you a call tag for a specific weight based on the email you send to us with your HydroHut details. Again, we will only be taking back your canvas for processing; no other parts or hardware will be accepted. Leave your frame set up and intact.

6) We will make every effort to process and reship your HydroHut canvas within two weeks. This is not a guarantee but it is our goal. Please note that ground shipments across the USA can take up to 8 days! Even if we process your HydroHut in only one day, there could still be 16 days of ground shipping, 8 days coming to us and 8 days going back. Be patient. Most clients will not have to wait two weeks. Every attempt will be made to expedite each HydroHut.

7) If a store has new HydroHut, still in its original box, the canvas can be re-boxed in a separate box, and the canvas will be returned to the store new and folded, ready to put back into the original box. Please keep your original box at your store including all poles, hardware, and instructions. Do not send us the entire unit.

While this entire exercise may be time consuming, HydroHut is doing all that it can to rectify this problem as quickly as possible. We apologize to everyone for the difficulties incurred with our product, end-users and stores. Without a loyal standing of clients we would be nothing. It is our goal make this situation as right as we can. Thank you to everyone who has stuck with us through this difficult period.

mysticls

does this mean any HH ordered after today will be fine?? The HH are probably the best tent out so it blows they are having this issue

gregor_mendel

When I exchanged mine for other things at the store, my buddy exchanged his for a Hydrofarm Habitat.

My opinion is that while the canvas/plastic combo is not as heavy, the fit and finish is much better than the Hydrohuts I have had experience with.

gregor

vindiesel

Veteran
what is the prob, the plastic poles 4 support, right? i have an HTG hut w/ steel poles, just cuz i was aware of some kind of problem from the plastic support poles in hydro huts....

hurricane

vindiesel said:
is the problem the plastic framing...?

well, from the letter they wont take your poles(which are metal in my hydrohut). They only want the vinyl cover.

Hydro Hut said:
5) Please remove your HydroHut canvas or skin and box it up. Do not pack up your poles or hardware. Do not remove your frame. Do not attempt to ship us your frame or other items. We will only be call tagging the canvas in a box. You must provide that box and properly seal that box. We will send you a call tag for a specific weight based on the email you send to us with your HydroHut details. Again, we will only be taking back your canvas for processing; no other parts or hardware will be accepted. Leave your frame set up and intact.

Hurricane

Last edited:

mr freez

I'm having yellowing on my ak's that look like defs even thow my nutes and ph are fine and all after i stared using the hut, but I'm not about to send that plastic any were. :nono: u can call me paranoid! I guess Ive been beat for 400+ :fsu:

vindiesel

Veteran
so what the canvas is the problem? i have a hut from HTG...probably same material....i'm not worrying about it. think bad and bad shit will happen....why would the canvas cause anything bad,w/ proper ventilation especially....?

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
its not the canvas outer layer of the covering, its the vinyl on the inside-its a common phenomenon known as off gassing, happen with lino floors too-thats why you shouldnt have(new at least) lino in a growroom... Some of tyhe 1st vertical drum growing systems(grassbomb) had these problems

Last edited:

vindiesel

Veteran
so now that i got the hut from HTG what to do....?i guess nothin and hope 4 the best. it's been assembled 2 weeks and will not b used for another month. i guess HTG and all huts are the same... i guess it's good at least it will not be brand new and have been sitting for over a month. i'll unzip it too and keep it aired out...would u be worried if u were me harry? my first grow is a stable and supposedely easy strain....bog's bogglegum and/or paradise fem ice cream, prob just bogglegum first. here i was thinking a hut was GREAT, now just another concern...there are lots of success stories w/ growtents though. yes, i am trying to comfort myself....lol.

Wait...What?

Veteran
Are they recalling existing retail stock, or do I have to wait for 2 years while the uninformed buy up all the bad ones?

Sundance

Big up to Hydro Hut for standing behind their product... and doing their very best to do right for and by their customers in a horrible situation

Shit happens ... they are sorting thru it ... correcting ... trying their best ... and in the end - will have a better product ... and be a better company for it

I am a big fan

Big up to Hydro Hut

Sundance

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I agree with you Sundance. I'm still waiting to get the PO to ship mine back, and will be happy when a new canvas arrives. At this points it's just a matter of patience...

-Funk