What's new

1000w Sun Master Cool Deluxe MH exploded inside reflector

louie

So I just hooked up 2 new 8" ocho XXXL and 2 new Sun Master Cool Deluxe MH bulbs and they were working fine for like 2 weeks and then I go and check them this morning and one of them exploded inside the reflector. Has this ever happened to you? Is it the bulbs "fault." Is it the ballasts "fault." Is this brand of bulb prone to these problems? Why do you think it happened? Isn't there mercury inside those bulbs? How should I clean it up?

Rowdy420

I went thru a run of bulbs a couple years back that would do the same thing, work for about a week and then blow up. It most likely is the bulbs, you shouldn't have any problem returning em if you kept your receipt. The bulbs I was experiencing problems with were Eye hortilux, I'm sure every manufacturer gets some bad runs once in a while.

louie

I'm running 1000w sun system crop master switchable ballasts. The biggest headache of the whole matter is the clean up....owww I love mercury getting into the air and into my room, so healthy!

eyes

Veteran
running the bulb at a nice 60 hz and still blew up.hmm. yeah,definately sounds like a bulb problem there. I ran sunmasters in the past with no problems but like anything the quality could of slipped.Hope these 600 conversions dont blow on me.

I hear ya with the mercury. since it was behind glass and vented thats good. continue to vent the area when u open the glass.Wear rubber gloves,eye protection,and mask.

Whats your opinion on those crop master ballasts? are they very loud? do they seem solid?

louie

I like the crop masters so far. They are pretty quiet, no humming etc. We'll see if this last the test of time though.

eyes

Veteran
thats good to hear. supposedly is the same ballast as ss1's but assembled in china. hence the cheaper price.hope all works out for ya with new bulbs,man.

I have a Sum Master MH and HPS set that have 3 90 day grows being driven by Quantum 1000w ballast with no problem presented this far

skunktoker

Definitely just A bad bulb..I have used the sunmaster cool deluxe and also the super HPS and never had any problems I also run A digital ballast..never had any bulbs blow And Hope I never do............ST

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Schmutz bombs

Schmutz bombs

Allow me to chuck-in 2 cents here.

If the good people that installed or packaged the bulb did not wear cotton gloves, or at least handle it with
a clean papertowel, this could be due to "pilot error".

One smudge, or fingerprint on the bulb may be invisible at first.
But, as the bulb heats, the "smudge" browns and heats faster than the rest of the bulb.
The uneven heating, shatters the bulb.

Best to wash, even factory-fresh bulbs, with alcohol, then handle only with clean gloves.
They used-to print a warning on the instruction sheet.

Can't say if that's still true.
I switched to LEDs about 3 years back.:dance013:

Aloha, y'all
Weeze

@Weeze,
You beat me to it. Excellent info on the finger prints. I always wipe my bulbs off every time I change them, if they are new or not. If there is finger oil on a bulb that also has a slight scratch on the glass, that compounds the problems and leads to early failure.

H

Hazyfontazy

just an fyi
the glass on a hps, metal halide lamps etc has nothing to do with how the lamp functions ,its there for insulation purposes to stop u being able to touch the element inside :tiphat:

Dude, that seriously sucks :/ Did it crack the glass on your reflector?

Weezard mentioned good things to watch out for and to do. i use disposable rubber gloves and wipe all my bulbs down with rubbing alcohol before installing. just to be safe. i'm running ushios and one eye and pray that i don't run into a bad batch like you did :/

hey weezard, how have the LED's been treating you? I'm thinking of making a jump to them

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Got three strains that love LEDs.
They rival sister cuttings grown in full tropical sun.
That's the good news.

The bad news?
Got 2 strains that I like, that just sulk under them. :(
To be fair, those strains are not happy with CFLs either.

Now, how to stay on-topic?

Ah, how's this?

I no longer own any MH, or HPS, so, if one of you kind folks would like to see how these strains do under HPS or MH . . .
No be shy.

Aloha, brah
I could not be happier with the home-made LEDs.

Weeze

gotta find something positive in a thread about a bulb blowing up :/

have you posted any of your LED grows?