What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NAME THIS BUG and you can do what no other can

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
So these things have been in my garden for nearly a year now.
Whast do you think they are? I am nearly certain i know, but cannot get a confirmation from anyone.

This is a picture of a stem 18 inches, 1 1/2 feet from the bottom of the plant. These are not root nubs

picture.php

picture.php

I

imnotkrazy

Do they look like little barnacles without the hole in the top? I have some that look like that on my eucalyptus trees.

V

vonforne

Take this to the Organic Soil forum. Some of the guys in the OFC will know what these are.

V

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Krazy yeah they do look like barnacles. They also don't move. At least the stage of life we are looking do not move.

Von thanks for the heads up. Should i start another thread there, or can this be moved?

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Are they soft and squishy like if so ....could be scale....or perhaps plant lice ...my guess...........ST

They can be scraped off using a little force, but not really too soft and squishy. Hard to tell because they are so small.

Mad Lib thats as close as my dslr camera can focus.

Thing is kNOwone including all hydro stores in my area have ever heard of these things. Also i have never brought a clone into my room from the outside. Everything grown from seed to avoid mites and other pests. Ha jokes on me, no mites, but these little frickers. I do live in a forest, at 6000+ ft.

Kama i use a towel or my hands and they come off with a little force.

stonedar i'm a looong way from the Chesapeake lol.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Looks like a spider mite infestation to me.

I am sure they are not mites. They have NO interest in leaves. Prefer woody strains and only stay on the stems. They are more concentrated towards the bottom and if not treated with something they migrate upwards. The crawlers are microscopic and have never been seen.

fuzzywuzzy

50 lat, zone 4 around Minnesota

At first I thought it was due to the increase in Silica given, forming some sort of natural defense mechanism from the plant. Very curious

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
50 lat, zone 4 around Minnesota

At first I thought it was due to the increase in Silica given to the plants, forming some sort of natural defense mechanism from the plant. Very curious

interesting theory. Did you eventually treat it with anything? I would guess that maybe outside with other predators around it may just be kept in check. Its sort of weird that even amongst the many local growers i know nobody has ever seen or heard of them before. They look at me like i am crazy when i tell them about them.

MIway

Veteran
I've had these on stems before... If they are bugs... I never knew it.

They don't move... and appear a part of the plant... I would scrape a few off w my finger nail.

Basically, my interpretation was that I grew plants in smaller containers & thought the plant was simply starting new root sprouts... and couldn't that high up, but tried.

How far off was I??? Now really curious... just thought it was 'natural'... lol

Which bug do you have it limited down to?

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
I've had these on stems before... If they are bugs... I never knew it.

They don't move... and appear a part of the plant... I would scrape a few off w my finger nail.

Basically, my interpretation was that I grew plants in smaller containers & thought the plant was simply starting new root sprouts... and couldn't that high up, but tried.

How far off was I??? Now really curious... just thought it was 'natural'... lol

Which bug do you have it limited down to?

Well i know the phenomenon you are talking about. Plants do sometimes try to start roots above the surface, and when i describe these to people they assume thats what it is. Though the pictures show how much of an infestation this really is.
You may not have had these because when they go untreated they really piss off the plant and cause issues. They also seem to spread like wildfire when left untreated.
I believe them to be some type of SCALE. The problem is i have poured over thousands of pictures of scale looking for something similar and the closest i could find is Pine Tree Scale, and they look different. As far as my research goes, those are the most prevalent where i live, but again, they look different. What i have are a smaller version, and rounder.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
can I surmise from the picture that no honeydew is being excreted?

do you see any spilled on the leaves?

Thanks for reminding me. What tipped me off to a problem was that i found honeydew and a very small white snail looking thing stuck to the stem. Saw the snail shaped looking thing a few times and only found honeydew once. Have not seen either in months, yet the pest is worst now than ever before

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Pine Needle Scale is what i meant. And according to my research they only feed on conifer needles and from my research it looks like the crawlers are visible to the naked eye. So i have lots of reason to believe its not pine needle scale, and the only reason is that i cut down a fir tree from my property for christmas one year and thought i found them a few months later in the garden. A bit of an extrapolation