What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Couple questions for fellow growers

3chomes

This is my first time posting on the grower's forum after reading and learning many things from here. Many thanks to all those that have contributed on everything from greenhouse to nute info, too many names to name here, as there are a lot of really useful info that has started off a budding(no pun intended) grower like me.

So after googling and reading on all these forums, I need to get info on a couple things I cannot find out.
1. Fluorescent lights>I'm using fluoros for vegging some of my plants, using warm white ones right now. Would it be better if I add in some blue fluoros?
2. Hemp seed as fertilizer/nutes. I have a whole bunch of hemp seeds and hemp seed cake(leftover from oil pressing). Logically it'll make sense that hemp seeds have all the nutes that a growing plant needs. So is it a good idea to throw it in a blender and mix the grind and hemp milk with my soil?

Thank you, looking forward to your tips/ideas.
Cheers.

Noddy

An extra blue or two in the mix certainly wouldnt hurt, as long as the girls are cool they'll appreciate any extra light for vegging, go for it.
As for your hemp seed compost idea, I myself would prefer to make sure they'd composted down already as would anything else in a compost heap before using it, mainly as a mould avoidance measure. If there's excess moisture in your blended medium it 'could' go a bit manky in the soil. I'm certainly no expert on that but blended or not, the decomposition process would not have begun just yet. Perhaps others would feel differently but i'd do that with a hint of caution.
Good luck.

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
1. Sure. If they are vegging fine, I wouldn't bother.
2. No Clue but I would never do it. i would just keep it simple stupid and get an get a basic nute setup (micro, grow/bloom, cal+mag)... plus you would be missing out on that tasty tasty help milk : )

Last edited:

3chomes

Thanks for the tips, guys.
I thinks I'll try a couple blues on just to experiment.
Reason I'm blending hemp seeds is cause I have access to tons of hemp seeds, but I cannot get organic nute setup where I am.

Professor Dro's

Adding blues won't harm anything, just add a little to the elec. bill. But, the compost you should try first. Make a separate compost pile, and when it's ready, try it on any plant (preferably local). If your theory is right, it should work as well for any plant.

Latest posts

Latest posts