What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rosin viscosity

meizzwang

I've been doing a lot of rosin squeezing on various different varieties of cannabis and am noticing that some varieties produce more viscous rosin than others. Those that are "thicker" are much easier to manage and scrape off the parchment paper, while the others that are almost liquid at room temp. are nearly impossible to scrape off the parchment paper. I also noticed that one variety, when squeezed a second time, produced rosin that was more viscous than the first squeeze.

When pressing rosin, does the temperature and amount of time it is being "squeezed" affect viscosity? What can you do to make an otherwise "liquid variety" more manageable without adding anything to it?

Chrondiddle O

Veteran
Terpenes

Rosin containing higher percentages of terpenes will be less viscous and more likely to smear across the parchment rather than sticking to your tool
Use a cold surface under the parchment to collect these wetter consistencies
The rosin you're getting from a second press has been exposed to heat and some of the more volatile terps will have been evaporated,hence it is easier to collect than rosin from the first press of the same material,or material which has previously been pressed at a lower temperature which still contained the terpenes that the later/higher temp press cooked off into the atmosphere.

PDX Dopesmoker

I'd assume lower temperature presses would mean less decarboxylization which would in turn mean a more solid result.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Too high a moisture content will produce an overly tacky hard to collect rosin. Letting it set out with a desiccant will help dry it out.

meizzwang

Too high a moisture content will produce an overly tacky hard to collect rosin. Letting it set out with a desiccant will help dry it out.

I thought the same thing, but I tried a squeeze on a year old, pretty dried out cannalope haze x C99, and it was still very liquid like and a pain to scrape off the parchment paper. If you know C99, it's a terp. dream come true! All of the very liquidy rosin samples I've tried have been out of this world flavor-wise, but many (but not all) of the more viscous rosin samples have also tasted pretty damn amazing, so not sure if there's any pattern there.

Another interesting yet slightly off topic observation: the Cannalope haze x C99 buds didn't have good tasting "green rips" despite careful trimming+ nutrient leaching before harvesting, but after a rosin squeeze, it was nothing but flavor!

While I can't confirm Chrondiddle's terp. hypothesis , the results I've seen seem to support it so far.

G

Gr33nSanta

I have yet to try the method with a desiccant, when you can't pick it up from the parchment, you likely fucked up. When that happens it is still dabable but you use something cold to pick it up or keep it in the fridge. I have made topical cream with all my old stuff I couldnt pick up at room temperature. The only time I have it hard to collect now is when I am in a hurry to try a new strain, hardly ever worth it, best to be patient.

The trick with the desiccant would be to have it in a very small jar, and give the desiccant a chance to do it's thing like at least 2 weeks to pull moisture out of that oil. I am looking forward to try it out. I am actually going to try it with other bubble hash rosin that has good texture just to see if I can remove more water from it and improve the smoke.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd agree terpenes are likely another factor. Slight difference in the tackiness between a wet sample and a cultivar that always produces tacky rosin. I've seen two (for awhile I thought it was something I was doing) types do it, both very pungent. A chem type and a Sweet Skunk cross.

PDX Dopesmoker

Now that you two mention it, I made soft soft sticky stuff that was kind of difficult to work with from some hash that wasn't quite all the way dry about a year ago.
Is there any possibility that pressing at over 212ºF could dry out the material significantly & deliver a more solid resulting extract regardless the likely increase in decarboxylization fraction in the THC?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Believe so. Tried that for kicks at 212 with some 25u this morning.

Bubbled and spat like a mother but the rosin was in a more solid state than I anticipated, easily collected. Haven't tried it or heard back yet, I imagine it crackles when dabbed. I know kindasfck intentionally presses hashes wetter and then dries in a desiccant chamber.

G

Gr33nSanta

If you have to increase temps to get desired consistency simply means your product isnt dry enough IMO. Ive been pressing, for almost a year now! and I never change the temperature of my plates, always on 83 Celcius. I think you can get slight more yield with more heat but ultimately it is more about how powerful your press is. I have a 10 ton, I could get better yields with a 20tons but it would still be set at 83 Celcius.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well of course it wasn't dry enough, hence starting at 100C. It was also green as balls hash, the bottom grade of a few runs.

Not everything we have to do is gold, done to perfection or even half assed properly. Like bush trimming. Never done it, but I understand the goal. Get it down, bucked and drying safely as quickly as possible. Doesn't matter how, but how quickly. Of course the ideal situation is miles away from that, but how much of an ass would you look trying to whole plant hang and dry trim in the bush.

I am aware of someone who did just that, but that's another story fit to a particular situation.

G

Gr33nSanta

I literally throw a lot of cannabinoids in the compost pile, I throw away my rosin chips, I recently figured out that there will only be room for the highest grade if you want to survive in this industry, the market is so flooded with b grade, candies, chewies, coconut oil, pills ... you can make extra high grade concentrate with outdoor, but there is no money in re-processing the leftovers I think.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah I don't have that luxury, let alone being able to chose what work I do. I take what I can get and do what I can with what I have.

meizzwang

Okay, so I sat the parchment paper on a frozen ice pack and waited a few minutes to get the rosin very cold. Tried to scrape it off when it was really cold, but no luck, still sticks to the parchment paper! I also tried throwing it in the freezer, but the second it gets taken out, the rosin seems to reach room temp pretty quick? No idea.

I saw this youtube video where the dude turns rosin into shatter into crumble/budder. Perhaps this physical manipulation might be the key? Thing is, getting that liquidy rosin into a "puddle" so you can work it like they do in the video is the challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2y9p2ZFh7I

Any other suggestions or ideas to try out regarding how to collect liquidy rosin off of parchment paper?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ya might try cooling a tool down, say a knob of glass or the like.

ideal temps that I have observed is 180 to 200 f. put your bud in the plates and close them just enough that they are shut but before any pressure is registered on the guage. wait 10 seconds, then we take our press up to 10000 psi in about 3 to 4 seconds. we hold 10000 psi for about 30 or 40 seconds or until we are satisfied. it works amazing

with our rp skywalker kush we were getting almost 30% yields and with hso black dog kush I extracted 6 grams from 30. super terpy loud tasty stuff.

for sift you can press at a lot lower pressures. basically we drop the temps to about 150 to 170 f and then just close the plates on the bagged sift. and you really dont even need to apply real pressure. it starts oozing out. you just gently add pressure as needed. half the time we dont even register on the guage when we do sift presses

the press we use is our own design. it has a 10000 psi enerpac ram and we have a manual and electric hydraulic pump. heating elements and pid is all watlow stuff.

Okay, so I sat the parchment paper on a frozen ice pack and waited a few minutes to get the rosin very cold. Tried to scrape it off when it was really cold, but no luck, still sticks to the parchment paper! I also tried throwing it in the freezer, but the second it gets taken out, the rosin seems to reach room temp pretty quick? No idea.

I saw this youtube video where the dude turns rosin into shatter into crumble/budder. Perhaps this physical manipulation might be the key? Thing is, getting that liquidy rosin into a "puddle" so you can work it like they do in the video is the challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2y9p2ZFh7I

Any other suggestions or ideas to try out regarding how to collect liquidy rosin off of parchment paper?
Try rapping the parchment around a can out the fridge and scraping it up whenits pressed agents it