What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which genetics will be dominant?

campino

Hi guys,
Hope you can enlight me on some noob breeding questions.
If we do the simple following crosses:

Sativa 1 Female x Indica 1 Male = #1
Sativa 2 Female x Indica 1 Male = #2
#1 Female x #2 Male = Final

Which do you think will be the dominant genetics? From the sativa females, from the indica male? Is the outcome predictible or not?
Thank you!

bestothebest

depends. certain strains like haze are always going to give a lot of influence. however, it sounds like you are makin a poly-hybrid, so it is really a shot in the dark without inbreeding your first two crosses.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Hi guys,

Which do you think will be the dominant genetics? From the sativa females, from the indica male? Is the outcome predictible or not?
Thank you!

The first generation will have 50% of each of the P1 genetics.

F1 plants are generally uniform across any given seed production
from those P1 plants.

Breeding past that first generation involves selection for
desired traits as the genetics are shuffled, yielding plants
that are less than 50% of either parent.

Think of it as a sliding scale, the F2 generation will lean to
one parent or the other, with lots of traits crossed.

Dominant and recessive traits are what you'll want to learn
about as you make crosses.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Mightyka

Veteran
Also depend on genetic lineage. Strains with low genetic diversity will be more recesive compare to landraces for example.
"Ibl" lines (low genetic diversity) are more homozygous thats why the percentage of dominant phenos will be lower.
I made Vanuatu landrace x ChemD ibl and all phenos were more on Vanuatu side.

oldbootz

Veteran
Mightyka I think you got it the other way around. Homozygous genes can be expressed more easily in progeny than heterozygous genes which require both the mother and father to have the same gene for it to be expressed. Inbreeding does not necessarily create homozygous plants but it can. Especially if you squash your breeding selections down to one phenotype.

But your observation is good. I have seen similar things happen when landrace x something (badly) inbred.

Maybe someone can give more info but I think there is no way to properly predict which traits will be dominant or recessive in an out-cross between two plants of very distant relation.

Once you have seen the F1 and what the distribution of traits looks like, then you can start doing some calculating as to how the F2,3,4+ will pan out.

Theoretically (but not in real life unfortunately) an F1 generation of distinctly genetically different plants (that share very few common alleles) will create plants that are completely uniform in expression, but having different recessive genes that are hidden.

In F2 that's where the recessive genes recombine and create a lot of diversity.

But in real life its not so clear cut. Plants have varying relations to each other because they share a common ancestor. Those relations will make the F1 not so uniform.

oldbootz

Veteran
The first generation will have 50% of each of the P1 genetics.

F1 plants are generally uniform across any given seed production
from those P1 plants.

Breeding past that first generation involves selection for
desired traits as the genetics are shuffled, yielding plants
that are less than 50% of either parent.

Think of it as a sliding scale, the F2 generation will lean to
one parent or the other, with lots of traits crossed.

Dominant and recessive traits are what you'll want to learn
about as you make crosses.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

I know you're probably simplifying your response so its better understood, but one point i'd like to make is that in an F2 population that plants don't shift to be more like one parent or the other, their traits of both parents are shuffled (some traits do group together) and you can find plants with all kinds of mixes of both parents traits.

Hi guys,

Thank you!
Both of your first two crosses result in F1 hybrids with one common indica parent, and different sativa parents. Unless the parents are true breeding, which is unlikely, then there will be number of different phenotypes in the offspring.

I assume you are then going to choose a female offspring from cross#1 to cross with a chosen male from cross#2. Genetically this will result in offspring that are potentially 50% indica#1, 25% sativa#1 and 25% sativa#2.

Based on this ratio the indica will in theory have the most influence, although you can lean towards a sativa phenotype (or any desired phenotype) by choosing your ideal breeding pair. The offspring from the final cross will have a high level of variability but generally reflect the attributes of their parents.

Good luck. :)

P.S. It makes no difference in a cross which parent is the male and which is the female, the genetic potential remains the same. In saying that, often the decision on the female is easy as it is the plant you want to use for breeding in the first place. The hardest part is choosing the male to use in your crosses.

Last edited:

campino

Again, thank you all for your help. I will use all the info you gave me as starting point to study the matter and when possible to make my first breeding experiment. A special thanks to Natural High, for nailing it and clarifying my doubt with simple words. Bless all

PDX Dopesmoker

Again, thank you all for your help. I will use all the info you gave me as starting point to study the matter and when possible to make my first breeding experiment. A special thanks to Natural High, for nailing it and clarifying my doubt with simple words. Bless all

Throwing the pollen on the female(s) and then growing out some of the seeds is maybe the quickest way and definitely the most fun way to learn the ins and outs. If you grow out the males to full term then you'll get a lot better idea of what kind of father you're using. Some people grow out the males to like 8 weeks before they pick which one they like.

campino

Throwing the pollen on the female(s) and then growing out some of the seeds is maybe the quickest way and definitely the most fun way to learn the ins and outs. If you grow out the males to full term then you'll get a lot better idea of what kind of father you're using. Some people grow out the males to like 8 weeks before they pick which one they like.

Thank you PDX, seems a good plan and probably what I will do.

Latest posts

Latest posts