What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Early Sexing

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Had a friend eyeball it once for me, no scope.
He ended up having a 90-95% accuracy.
Definitely a little skill and practice go a long way.
:blowbubbles:

Last edited:

GoneRooty

Preflowers can be seen with the naked eye, some sort of magnifier definitely helps when looking at real early preflowers. Once you've gotten used to seeing both types of preflowers, it gets pretty easy to distinguish between male and female, most of the time.

e_24

On my phone writing this, and this goes out to the OP who has a thai strain that doesn't show till 10 weeks. That's because its a tropical sativa. Those things take a LONG time to sex. Correct me if im wrong. Tropical sativas have the longest time frame from seed to harvest, so I would assume that early sexing will be a while...

GoneRooty

People have told me I determine sex to early

HAHA that's funny Redneck. I love it when stupid people tell you what you're doing is wrong. Obviously, if you can see the preflowers, you're not sexing too early. Guess those dumb people don't know about preflowers. Just keep doing what you're doing and let the dumbasses think what they want.

Interesting. I'll give this a try for sure, it makes sense on average. But as to the exception to the rule, I've had at least one plant (a Double Strawberry Diesel) show female preflowers complete with pistils and then turn out to be male.

ProfGerbik

for easy sexing, i prefer tequila, MDMA, or any combination thereof

LOL good one. meh early sexing has never worked for me no matter what.

over time i learned the best way to tell sex is simply wait until you see definitive proof otherwise you could jump the gun and chop plants down for no reason too early. ive thought several times oh thats for sure male but turns out to be female. so yea i just wait.

nickman

Veteran
ive got a few AK's and Plushberry's going om their 5th week of 24 hr light schedule. All of them have shown me their pre flowers by week 4ish ...

They are in 12 oz plastic beer cups so i know that they are a bit root bound. In a couple days i am gonna transplant them into bigger pots...

Last grow i dont think i noticed any pre flowers until i put em in 12/12 light schedule. Then again, i only vegged last time for like 3 weeks or so...

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
To add something here, I used this for my current grow. I got all the females sexed right, but a few 'males' or indistinct plants did turn out female. So for me, the ones that are iffy or male looking are not a sure thing.

Great post with good pictures. I wold be absoultely confident of the sex of those plants pictured. I've been doing exactly this for years. However, it is very strain dependent.
I've got a strain that will always show by the 6th node, but some train wreck I have did not show at all until the 9th node.

Kushed_

I an usually on the 7th. node, counting from the bottom. It is strain dependand, some take longer. Also males are usually the tall ones, and have a greater inter-nodal spacing.

herbofwar

I was going to run out and get a magnifier tomorrow so i can use this technique on some plants i have going right now... do you think 15x is powerful enough for this? Im pretty sure Ive identified sex with the naked eye on these babies, but I just want to make sure with a magnifier... (these plants are about 5/6 weeks veg).

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great post, I usually can sex all of my plants at around 3 to 4 weeks old from seed also. It is somewhat strain dependent though and some as mentioned do take longer. Preflowers may occur easier in the smaller cups due to rootspace restrictions when compared to the same seedling grown out in a 3 gallon container for instance so usually it's sprout seed, wait for sex, top, then transplant. I have never had to switch to a 12/12 cycle to sex anything either. ;)

Good posts in here! :good:

While I have always heard that males show before females, I have never found this to be true. If I start a group of plants from seed, I always am able to pick out a number of females before the males start showing.

rrog

Veteran
I wish I had a better handle on this. I'd also like to invest in some better optics. I have the cheap plastic Chinese ebay scopes. I'm sure they're fine for a seasoned pro, but that ain't me. Plus I like nice glass lenses. I may look on amazon or ebay for some good glass magnification. I've wondered about the digital scopes that connect to your laptop.

Budley Doright

Veteran
I wish I had a better handle on this. I'd also like to invest in some better optics. I have the cheap plastic Chinese ebay scopes. I'm sure they're fine for a seasoned pro, but that ain't me. Plus I like nice glass lenses. I may look on amazon or ebay for some good glass magnification. I've wondered about the digital scopes that connect to your laptop.

Its really not necessary to have a scope and all that....

Just a pair of normal reading glasses... 3 or 3.5 x will help greatly......

12 bucks maybe...

Try that first.... The glasses come in handy for other stuff too..

Latest posts

Latest posts