Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > How do you get dense bud? Dwc indoors

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Seedsman for Cannabis Seeds
How do you get dense bud? Dwc indoors Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2017, 02:45 AM #1
bobert

bobert will become famous soon enoughbobert will become famous soon enoughbobert will become famous soon enough
How do you get dense bud? Dwc indoors

Hey fellas,

I was wondering how you get dense buds.

I always end up with super fluffy stuff that's a real pain to trim. Every time with every strain I've grown it's extremely fluffy. Just got done trimming for over 20hrs on a single plant, it was huge but still, wayy too much time.

Using a single 5gal dwc bucket, gh nutes, with a 600w hps in an open closet. I'm thinking it's too warm in the room. It gets around 80-85f on hot days. I had a wall fan blowing at the space between the top of the plant and the light, but not directly on the girl. I was using a cool mist humidifier for a while until the plant got huge and raised the humidity on it's own. The light is an all-in-one ballast/light combo, I cut a hole and screwed in a computer fan on one side to cool it down.

I lst'd it about a foot out in every direction and trimmed 8 inches up so the lower portion wouldn't leave me with un-trimmable airy popcorn. The very top buds were ok to trim but below that it just kept getting worse.

If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear 'em

Thanks
bobert is offline Quote

Old 06-12-2017, 03:46 AM #2
PDX Dopesmoker

PDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud of
The heat might be an issue, but if you want to compete on density with some of the super dense bud you've seen from other growers odds are you're going to need to use plant growth regulators which a lot of people consider nasty or at least suspect & unneccessary.
Are you conferenced about bud density because you're hoping to increase your per harvest yield or is it for another reason?
PDX Dopesmoker is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:05 AM #3
WelderDan

WelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant future
You did not mention the strain. Some strains just are not as dense as others. Heat will play into the equation as far as density goes with DWC. And you are at the upper limits of what DWC will tolerate in regards to root rot unless you are running a chiller. Just dropping your res temp 10 degrees would probably give you a bump in density if you aren't using a chiller.

If you are passively cooling the res by just setting on a bare concrete floor, you can insulate the sides and put a reflective cover on the top. A piece of white cardboard would work. Moving the air pump outside of the closet would also help,

Cherry Bomb x C99

When I was a young man, I was convinced I had the world by the tail. It wasn't until I was older that I realized that the world had me by the tail the whole time, I just didn't know it.
WelderDan is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:19 AM #4
bobert

bobert will become famous soon enoughbobert will become famous soon enoughbobert will become famous soon enough
I've used gravity in the past but quit once it was pulled from the shelves. I'd rather not use pgr's.

I'm not trying to compete with any other growers, and increased yield is nice but not what I'm after. I just find trimming dense buds is easier than fluffy stuff.

With dense buds I can usually hold the scissors aligned with the bud and trim away. It looks more 'uniformed' too

But with fluffy buds it seems like I need to get under the leaves and clip almost every leaf at the stem, then it has a choppy look.

I'm just trying to decrease my trimming time and make the appearance a little better.

I appreciate your reply
bobert is offline Quote

Old 06-12-2017, 04:30 AM #5
bobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelderDan View Post
You did not mention the strain. Some strains just are not as dense as others. Heat will play into the equation as far as density goes with DWC. And you are at the upper limits of what DWC will tolerate in regards to root rot unless you are running a chiller. Just dropping your res temp 10 degrees would probably give you a bump in density if you aren't using a chiller.

If you are passively cooling the res by just setting on a bare concrete floor, you can insulate the sides and put a reflective cover on the top. A piece of white cardboard would work. Moving the air pump outside of the closet would also help,
I usually grow bagseed but every one I've grown was super fluffy. Never dense except the very top buds.

The bucket sits on a little stand with wheels so I can move it out of the closet to check on it.

Setting it directly on the floor sounds like it'll help, it's a concrete floor so it's most likely colder than the stand it's on.

I've used distilled water and ended up with some rot until I started using tap water. I'm assuming the chlorine or chloramine whatever is in the tap helped.

Thanks for your reply
bobert is offline Quote

Old 06-12-2017, 04:42 AM #6
WelderDan

WelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
I usually grow bagseed but every one I've grown was super fluffy. Never dense except the very top buds.

The bucket sits on a little stand with wheels so I can move it out of the closet to check on it.

Setting it directly on the floor sounds like it'll help, it's a concrete floor so it's most likely colder than the stand it's on.

I've used distilled water and ended up with some rot until I started using tap water. I'm assuming the chlorine or chloramine whatever is in the tap helped.

Thanks for your reply
No prob

DWC is very forgiving. Except for water temp. A warm rez in DWC is a problem. Getting the rez temp down will help. You will also get better dissolved O2 levels with a cooler rez, meaning better growth too.

Good Luck!

Cherry Bomb x C99

When I was a young man, I was convinced I had the world by the tail. It wasn't until I was older that I realized that the world had me by the tail the whole time, I just didn't know it.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:49 AM #7
Lrus007

Lrus007 is just really niceLrus007 is just really niceLrus007 is just really niceLrus007 is just really niceLrus007 is just really niceLrus007 is just really niceLrus007 is just really niceLrus007 is just really nice
drop your light closer to the tops.
i always burn 1-2 buds but is worth it.
good luck Lrus007
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lhp1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	416089
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof
Lrus007 is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:06 AM #8
bobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrus007 View Post
drop your light closer to the tops.
i always burn 1-2 buds but is worth it.
good luck Lrus007
Thanks, I'll try that.

Beautiful picture. Nice and fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelderDan View Post
No prob

DWC is very forgiving. Except for water temp. A warm rez in DWC is a problem. Getting the rez temp down will help. You will also get better dissolved O2 levels with a cooler rez, meaning better growth too.

Good Luck!
Yea, that's the only real problem I've had is my temps.

I'll do what you mentioned above and see how everything turns out next run!
bobert is offline Quote

Old 06-12-2017, 05:17 AM #9
WelderDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Thanks, I'll try that.

Beautiful picture. Nice and fat

Yea, that's the only real problem I've had is my temps.

I'll do what you mentioned above and see how everything turns out next run!
In a pinch, you can put water in a few plastic soda bottles (16 oz) and freeze them. Toss a fresh one in the rez once or twice a day during lights on to drop the rez temps. It's a pain in the ass, but if you are fighting temps and trying to make it to harvest it works.

Cherry Bomb x C99

Old 06-12-2017, 05:24 AM #10
Speed of green

Speed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the rough
correcting temps and strain selection. Ive only produced fluffy flowers three times, once from too cold, once too hot and once from a nutrient lockout/burn that stunted the plant for a couple weeks.

can you post a picture of the bud structure?
Speed of green is offline Quote