What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yield

When a breeder says about a strain : Yield : 400 gr/m2, what does it mean? To achieve this, what would be the best way? Many plants short veg, many overcrowded cuttings, scrog, trees?

lLucky

The "best" way really depends on the strain and what you are trying to accomplish with the grow...

They mean average yield per square meter

JockBudman

I read somewhere it was based on sea of green with 4 per sq ft or whatever the sog standard was back when they came up with the figures. Apparently it's coz that was the dominant way of growing in Europe back in the 90's.

Dunno if that's totally true or not but I doubt it really applies now - probably just based on whatever method gets the biggest numbers.

SuperBadGrower

When a breeder says about a strain : Yield : 400 gr/m2, what does it mean?

They are just euphemisms to me

"550-600 g/m²": high yield potential
"400 g/m²": expect low yielding plants (maybe 250 g/m²)

everything in between makes up the rest of the spectrum

and then you have Barneys Farm whose plants go to 800 g/m²

That's why I'm going to start my own seed company, breed with Critical and claim 900 g/m² in 63 days.

J-Icky

I’ve just used their numbers to compare against each other and see why should yield more or less.

So if they have one that’s 300 and another 400, what does the 300 bring to the table the 400 can’t to make up for the yield. Some could have better flavor or be more potent.

But you have to also consider the source. I’ve never really kept track but I’m sure breeders have inflated numbers on strains that aren’t selling as well to try and get cash croppers to take them off their hands without having to drop the price.

and then you have Barneys Farm whose plants go to 800 g/m²

That's why I'm going to start my own seed company, breed with Critical and claim 900 g/m² in 63 days.

800 g/m2? Holy shit!

There is also the light wattage to consider, the gr/w unity. To get 800 gr on 1 m2, do they use a 400 w halide? Once i saw a breeder saying that his yield numbers were with a 1kw bulb. But by square meter?

Anyway, critical strains yield a lot, but each time i had bud rot in the biggest buds, and was not that strong.

And you folks, what are your numbers?

I can get 300 gr/m2 with 4 or 5 plants of a good yielder, but every time there is something to fix. Thrips, caterpillars, runts, ...

800 gr/m2? What would i do with all that weed?:jump:

SuperBadGrower

800 g/m2? Holy shit!

800 gr/m2? What would i do with all that weed?:jump:

I'm being sarcastic mate. I'm pretty sure half the websites who claim to be "breeders" haven't even grown out the seeds that they sell. So many of their claims are unrealistic. Barneys Farm is simply one of the top offenders. Anyone who claims their strain is going to yield 700, 800 g/m², on average, is talking straight out of their ass. Or maybe they keep packing the wrong seeds for me

J icky is right, just use it to compare between lines of the same breeder and it can give you an idea. I'd say dont attach too much meaning to the numbers.

It doesnt really matter what kind of light you use, what matters for the purpose of those figures, I think, is that the area gets adequate lighting. The real breeders probably have an area for seed testing where they can grow a batch of seeds that they made and see how it goes. It can be lit with 600W or 1000W bulbs, LEDs or the sun.

I guess, theoretically, if you grow the plants really tall and manage to get enough light in lower areas by means of sub- or inter-canopy lighting, you could even exceed all those yield figures. But that's pretty unrealistic because most indoor grows in the world use top lighting. Imagine you had a 20ft ceiling and could grow 12 ft of Bud. Suddenly that 1 horizontal m² can host a lot more than 500 grams. :biggrin:

(The critical thing has been kind of a running gag about some european/spanish breeders who seem to just pollinate everything with critical and give it a different name)

Plenty of good breeders out there with decent/reliable info, of course. Usually that g/m² figure is not their priority.

Last edited:

SupraSPL

Yeap no breeder is going to want to say 200g/m2 so it is never lower than 400 lol. But in my experience the very dankest weed (the only weed worth growing indoors) is never the highest yielding varieties. Luckily there are plenty of varieties that represent a good compromise, super dank but still yields.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Sometimes it’s about finding that compromise. For instance, I have a small grow that I usually pack with 4 x 11 litre pots. It’s always the goal to find something that’ll yield decently but not turn out like hay. Not to mention have good turnaround and not be an utter bitch to trim.

Ive yet to find a variety that ticks all the boxes.

Latest posts

Latest posts