What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How much has changed in 8-10 years?

OldHeadzz

Hey guys! Old grower here looking to get back into it. Just wondering what newer grow tech I should be looking into?

LEDs were starting to pop off when I left the grow game, but I was running 8x 1kw hps bulbs in vertical style basement setup with T5s for veg and mothers

Seeing DEs and gravitas and stuff now. Worth looking into or all hype?

Basically just looking to get caught up a little. Gonna set up a small personal closet grow. Thought I’d ask before I went and bought equipment.

Any super quiet fans? Vortex was a bit much.

Peacefrog

Veteran
I'm coming back from a similar layoff. As far as lights go, LEDs are definiely legit over where they were when I stopped but there is a learning curve in figuring out how far to keep them away from plants without burning them. Dimmers are a must for LEDs that have enough intensity for flowering and a PAR meter is very useful if you can afford it. The cost savings and heat reduction are well worth the investment if you can afford it.

Other than that, hype still sells in the growing business.

frostqueen

I'd take a serious look at ceramic metal halides instead of LEDs. The bulbs last for years and the heat generated is minimal. You can also veg and flower under the same bulb. I've been really impressed.

The main advantage of CMH over LEDs is the fantastic depth of penetration. No need to raise and lower fixtures all the time. You just bolt them to the ceiling and forget about them. I hate raising and lowering lights.

I've been using Philips T5 LED tubes (Philips LED 473520 Dimmable InstantFit 4-Foot T5 Tube Bulbs) for veg for about 2 years now and the plants absolutely thrive under them. These tubes are bright af and run very cool. No need for floros ever again; and these bulbs last for at least 3 years.

That being said, I still love to flower plants under 1000w Eye Hortilux HPS. A tried and true choice for excellent results.

Mr. J

Any super quiet fans? Vortex was a bit much.
As far as quiet goes you won't do much better than the AC Infinity blowers. I have a couple and they're really quiet compared to the Vortex fans. They won't put out as much pressure as a Vortex but they're still pretty powerful.

MindEater

Quantum boards with dimmable drivers are the best thing to happen.

As far as fans.. Those AC Infinity types are generic rebranded clones of each other, mixed flow is just a marketing term. They are axial duct boosters. Over-priced low performance and noisy. Just a flavor of the week money maker for the grow shop. Probably wholesale for 10 bucks.

Someone need to come up with a centrifugal fan with speed controller and overkill static pressure. People are having to program their own electronics or adapt ducting to squirrel cage blowers because the grow industry is set on selling gimmicky low performance junk fans.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Quantum boards with dimmable drivers are the best thing to happen.

As far as fans.. Those AC Infinity types are generic rebranded clones of each other, mixed flow is just a marketing term. They are axial duct boosters. Over-priced low performance and noisy. Just a flavor of the week money maker for the grow shop. Probably wholesale for 10 bucks.

Someone need to come up with a centrifugal fan with speed controller and overkill static pressure. People are having to program their own electronics or adapt ducting to squirrel cage blowers because the grow industry is set on selling gimmicky low performance junk fans.

It is correct that qB light is a nice choice.