What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding Plans

covert

The assumption here is small grows with under 12 plants at one time and more like 4 at once.

Say one had 3 phenotypes in 4 plants.

A tall lanky female, a medium male and female, and a short female.

The short plant is is the desired pheno.

The aim is to obtain as many seeds as possible and breed towards the short pheno and become as self sufficient as possible.

1. Is it better to allow natural medium male to open pollinate all the females?

2. Or create feminised seeds from the short pheno by reversing her and using her as the pollen source for all or...?

troutman

Seed Whore
Use the short female and medium male this time. In each generation just select for the ideal plant traits you want.

gorilla ganja

I would reverse the one you like most.
Hit all females, including the one you reversed.
Keep the lines separate and keep choosing for the traits you want.

Peace GG

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Hi, I would say cross them all with your unique male and then do the selection of short males only if you wanna shorten the shape. They transmit mainly their structure to the subsequent generation.

And use as many females as you can to keep aromas diversity, or use one or few females to stabilize and fix the kind of terpenes you choose.

covert

Ok.

Say the short pheno is still uncertain sex so if there were two males to pick from, the short and medium would you use both males or just the short male?

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
With the short only you will save time for your breeding project but he has to be good! To multiply the chance of nice offspring it's better to use both i would say! ? ;)

El Timbo

I would reverse the one you like most.
Hit all females, including the one you reversed.
Keep the lines separate and keep choosing for the traits you want.

Peace GG

Wouldn't they be all female lines? Are you suggesting continual reversing over several generations?

JockBudman

I'd say it depends on the goal. If you're attempting to refine an already decent line worth similar scents and effects, then just use the male with the most desirable female for your needs - the shorter if you want reduced height.

If you're looking to make selections from an f2 line from seeds you don't have much knowledge of, I'd hit every female on a few lower branches just in case the tall one say, turns out to have the best high. Then you can cross that line with the smaller line and work towards a mix

:tiphat:

CannaZen

I've collected seeds from a 5" tall runt for dwarf architecture. You should do both. Reverse a female, pollinate all plants on the backcross select for the extremes. I just wouldn't do it every generation because. you still may be able to cultivate seedling batches to get closer to findings from your selector's micro batch to your extreme alignment's as par.

Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would go about a program something like this...

-Make clones of the plants you want to use in the program so as to not lose the base genetics in case you need more seed in the future.

-Pollinate all your desirable females with all your males. Most prefer a 1:1 pairing so that they know exactly which male was the pollen donor.

-Make some Fem pollen with your most desirable female and pollinate all your desirable females.

-Grow a few seeds from each mother/father combo to see which pairing produces the most desirable characteristics for you. At this point you can narrow down which seed set(s) you want to work for the next generation.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat...

It won't be long before you have so many seed you could literally plant a field. :dance013:

I tend to make about 10x more seeds than I think I'll need so that I have plenty to give away and to make up for any duds as they age.

Stored in a cool dry and undisturbed location. Seeds will last for a long time.