What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help, would you feed non-organic nutes in Organic Soil?

Deke

So about a week ago one of my plants starts to yellow on the main fans working it's way up. Since then its gotten worse. That plant was in a smaller pot, all I had at the time, but two more in 5gal have started the same thing. I'm in organic soil. Fed FF Bloom on Saturday, no change. Too wet to hit them harder.
So the question in asking is woukd you feed them with a bite like FF Grow Big just to get the nutes they need as.fast as possible? I ordered some Recharge, but Amazon lost it, nice huh, and the replacement won't be here until Thursday. I know the all around nutes will harm the living soil, but is it worth it ? I've gotten some good advice, I believe but second opinions are always good.Any ideas are appreciated, I'm at wits end with this.
The first two pics are of the first and worst plant to start with issues. Thanks

Attachments

• 20191013_204510.jpg
    20191013_204510.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20191013_203809.jpg
    20191013_203809.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20191013_203908.jpg
    20191013_203908.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20191013_204553.jpg
    20191013_204553.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20191013_204150.jpg
    20191013_204150.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 26

MedFaced

There is nothing wrong with adding non-organic nutes. They alone don’t hurt anything. What does the damage is the salt that builds up and prevents the plants from eating anything at all—lockout. Once lockout is achieved, no amount of fertilizer will help. The soil needs to be flushed and feeding schedules start anew.

I’m not familiar with your other thread. What has been your feeding regime? What soil are you using, FFOF?

Deke

Its a water only soil from Detroit Nutrient Company. Until just this past week it's been great. I haven't had to feed, and was waiting for the stretch to stop to hit them with some bloom nutes and Recharge. Amazon lost my Recharge, and it won't be here until Thursday ,earliest.

So would using the Fox Farms Grow Big a couple times to try to kick start the healing cause lockout?
Foliar feeding some Epsom salt was Also recommended for the mag def.

So, would you feed all around nutes(FF Grow Big) to try to kick start the healing( hoping that it will do that), or keep feeding the bloom nutes and foliar some Epsom salt and wait for the Recharge?

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
So about a week ago one of my plants starts to yellow on the main fans working it's way up. Since then its gotten worse. That plant was in a smaller pot, all I had at the time, but two more in 5gal have started the same thing. I'm in organic soil. Fed FF Bloom on Saturday, no change. Too wet to hit them harder.
So the question in asking is woukd you feed them with a bite like FF Grow Big just to get the nutes they need as.fast as possible? I ordered some Recharge, but Amazon lost it, nice huh, and the replacement won't be here until Thursday. I know the all around nutes will harm the living soil, but is it worth it ? I've gotten some good advice, I believe but second opinions are always good.Any ideas are appreciated, I'm at wits end with this.
The first two pics are of the first and worst plant to start with issues. Thanks

- It looks like Sulfur deficiency.

"When growing outdoors in soil the chance of sulphur deficiency is very slim. It can occur when growing in compost, as can phosphate deficiency (see cAnna’s info on phosphorus deficiency), when the pH is too high and there is too much calcium. Furthermore, when growing in compost or with hydro there can be a sulphur deficiency if the nutrient mix was not well put together."

https://www.zamnesia.com/cannabis-grow-guide/89-sulphur
In which case some Epsom Salt would help.

- Mineral nutrients in organic soil

Yes you can. However, you should use low nutrient concentration of bloom food or high P/K nutrients like 0.4 EC, and 0.1 EC of Epsom Salt. This will stimulate root growth, which will feed the plant if the roots can grow into new soil. Which brings me to...

- Using solid nutrients along with liquid nutrients.

Liquid nutrients put you in complete charge of what and when the plant is going to eat. This is in my opinion very advanced stuff. What is much better and more forgiving, is using the above bloom food and epsom salt nutrients, to get roots to grow from light soil into very well fertilized soil. Solid nutrients feed plants slowly but relentlessly. The plant decides whether it will eat, how much and when. If you also add a water reservoir the roots can grow into, the plant can also decide it will drink clean water, eat, or breathe - or any combination thereof. This massively destresses the plant and increases it's metabolism.

My setup is

Container with water reservoir and spacer.
Grow rocks on the spacer.
Supersoil
Light Soil
Sprinkling of oat flakes, sliced banana
hemp bedding

Most of the grow, all you have to do is top up the water reservoir. When used with autoflowering seeds, the plants practically grow themselves.

I give the plants another liquid feeding of bloom food and epsom salt when the start flowering, and then top up the soil with at least 2 inches of new soil with a phosphorus source (rock phosphate) and some maerl magnesium lime, and for the resin extra silica (silica clay like Mineral Magic) and seaweed or lava meal for trace elements. This stimulates the roots to expand during the flowering cycle, which massively increases yield through number of budsites and size.

The complex mineral trace elements really allow the cannabinoids to be formed during ripening, especially when the plants have been defoliated and resin is exposed to the sun. (At least 3 weeks.)

Deke

@tanzanianMagic thanks for the reply. My plan is to get some Epsom salt and prepare it to foliar feed. And I'll water with the bloom nutes, FoxFarms Big Bloom.
I was going to add the bloom nutes to the Epsom salt water and use as one. Is it a good idea to foliar feed and water the soil with the Epsom salt water as well? I read that it's 1tsp per gallon of Epsom salt?
Also I was thinking of adding something for Calcium to the water , with the other nutes for the soil? Should I do this?
As far as a sulphur deficiency, I'm sure, it looks like it needs all kinds of things. Live and learn I guess.

At what amount do you recommend I feed the bloom nutes. Picture of the back of the bloom nutes bottle attached.

I'd really like to learn more about your method . when/if I get past this cluster## id like to hear and see more info.

Thanks again for the information!

Attachments

• 20191015_003820.jpg
    20191015_003820.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 25

soil margin

Veteran
Do you what you have to. I personally wouldn’t simply because it stops being organic soil when you feed non organic nutes to the plants living in it.

M

moose eater

If you want to continue to regard it as truly organic soil (as soil margin said), then no.

But honestly, and having occasionally (or more) found myself in dire circumstances, if it meant saving a mother or crop, I'd feed them Cheerios with Capt'n Crunch and goats milk, if it was going to pull them out of what ever funk..

There's the ideal of it, and there's the "My plant isn't gonna' make it" end of things; at which point, for myself, it comes down to what ever gets the job done, without sinning too awful badly, if possible.

Deke

If you want to continue to regard it as truly organic soil (as soil margin said), then no.

But honestly, and having occasionally (or more) found myself in dire circumstances, if it meant saving a mother or crop, I'd feed them Cheerios with Capt'n Crunch and goats milk, if it was going to pull them out of what ever funk..

There's the ideal of it, and there's the "My plant isn't gonna' make it" end of things; at which point, for myself, it comes down to what ever gets the job done, without sinning too awful badly, if possible.

Exactly. I'm at that point. I'm going to feed the organic bloom nutes with some Epsom salt mixed in when I water next. Then add the Recharge when it gets here later in the week to the following water/feed. And pray it works.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Is your organic compost really what you think it is anyway? Plenty comes from recycling household waste, where people chuck in the occasional cfl and battery. I wouldn't get to caught up in the idea. You might have more control over what's in the bottle, than whats in the compost.

Last I heard, the plants really don't care.

Deke

Is your organic compost really what you think it is anyway? Plenty comes from recycling household waste, where people chuck in the occasional cfl and battery. I wouldn't get to caught up in the idea. You might have more control over what's in the bottle, than whats in the compost.

Last I heard, the plants really don't care.

Yeah. I'm confident in the contents of the soil. The company has a great reputation and track record.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I was going to add the bloom nutes to the Epsom salt water and use as one. Is it a good idea to foliar feed and water the soil with the Epsom salt water as well? I read that it's 1tsp per gallon of Epsom salt?
Also I was thinking of adding something for Calcium to the water , with the other nutes for the soil? Should I do this?
As far as a sulphur deficiency, I'm sure, it looks like it needs all kinds of things. Live and learn I guess.
I try to spray or pour as little on the plants as is possible.

And certainly you can burn your plants by giving them foliar nutrients, including Espom Salt.

It is better to use rock phosphate for calcium, or maerl/magnesium lime or gypsum.

Calcium is a secondary nutrient in many organic nutrients anyway.

Deke

I try to spray or pour as little on the plants as is possible.

And certainly you can burn your plants by giving them foliar nutrients, including Espom Salt.

It is better to use rock phosphate for calcium, or maerl/magnesium lime or gypsum.

Calcium is a secondary nutrient in many organic nutrients anyway.

I chose not to do the foliar feeding. I fed them Fox Farms Bloom nutes last night along with recharge oh, so now it's just wait and pray.

T

Teddybrae

First photo looks like senescence to me. The fan leaves have given up their nutes to the flowers. Feeding won't change this. How this plant looks is a matter of the plant's age not the soil's condition.

Speed of green

Lots of farmers grow in soil with synthetic ferts, with varying degrees of success.

it can be done properly with minimal inputs to keep the soil alive and balanced.

it can also be done incorrectly and turn your soil to dirt.

IMO For cannabis, the best flavors and smells 10/10 come from properly balanced organic soil with little inputs

IMO for cannabis, the largest yields and fastest growth come from synthetics, but at the sacrifice of health, the plants look healthy and have vigor but less resistance to pressure.

synthetics are a totally different game, having everything available at once in the solution & properly buffered media will grow plants fast. If you have the means of controlling your environment and preventing pressure this can be a winning combo many people have found success with.

That said, the best cannabis I can grow with mostly synthetic inputs, & inoculating fungi/bacteria, the flavors and smells are 8/10 with good yields.

In the end it really boils down to time, energy, and waste. Properly balanced organic soil has been growing plants to their genetic potential since the beginning. With zero input, zero monitoring, zero waste.

synthetics need constant monitoring, produce constant waste, and produce a slightly larger, less healthy fruit, that doesn't smell or taste quite as good.

mexweed

Veteran
proper organic can be just as big/dense/yielding as bottled salt stuff there will just be a bit bigger of a container underneath it, certain hydro methods you don't really need more than 2 gallons, of course for something like hempy bigger buckets are sweet, but in general I'd say like 3 gallons with bottled/salts you would want 5 gallons for equivalent organic

grow big is really hot, you should get big bloom it's organic and a lot lighter, or something like buffaloam soil alive to top dress a few tsp

St. Phatty

You have to measure the pH of your run-off.

The one time I tried using Liquinox 0-10-10 in a commercial soil blend like FFOF, I over-did it and ended up turning the run-off acidic.

Possibly a grower can compensate, and add an alkaline fertilizer like wood ash.

I wouldn't try that with the plants that didn't like the acidic nutes (F3's of Apollo 11).

But some plants just have big appetites.

I Rinsed and Rinsed and Rinsed the Apollo 11's. They came back and made some killer bud, in the vein of C99/ Ice Princess.

M

moose eater

Acidity of some soluble or bottled liquid nutes is one issue, especially if the solution has been allowed to sit, or is inherently acidic.. Other issues include the readily available nutes, versus slower release, and the collision course they're on if not going conservative when combining the 2.

Combining them has not been the issue in my past experiences, as also alluded to by another re. moderation in the process. having an organic nute begin or accelerate in releasing at the same or similar time as dosing with a readily available soluble or liquid has sometimes caused an OD.

M

moose eater

I was taught that stopping liquid or soluble nutes from continuing in excess -can- be as simple as a flush/good rinse, but that in great part, stopping excess organics, once they're rolling, is like stopping an oil tanker or freight train.. But diluting the mix the plants are in, using larger pots and well balanced mix to add, safely breaking away the compacted mix on the roots without damaging the roots too badly at the time of transplant, provides a reprieve as well. I'm at that phase right now with my stressed mothers.

Latest posts

Latest posts