What's new

Alternative to cable tv?

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Ok.Currently with Spectrum.I think these cable companies pay for content that they redistribute.Anyway,I'm sick of the constant reruns.So,I got my notice today that my introductory offer is ending,but they are giving me a new discount!Only going to cost me an extra $20 a month for the honor of watching all the same sh*t over and over again.Can't tell ya how excited I am to fork over another $20 for that.

So.Whadda ya do for tv?I used to do a lot of youtube and whatnot,but even that get's old.I'm about over cable,that's for sure,but I would like to be able to get local news.

Suggestions are welcome.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
afraid i am a victim of Spectrum myself. got Netflix, Hulu , youtube etc too. don't know what it costs, wife handles bills, lol. i'm looking at some of the antenna systems out there. one buddy gets over 60 channels on a model he got at Home Depot...

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
You can pick up a lot of network channels with an HD antenna, that's true. But I find I can find everything I need from streaming channels now, so they're unnecessary. Just scrap the cable TV service, pay for solid internet service instead, and use a streaming device... That can be an Xbox, a Roku, a Chromecast, whatever. Then, all the major networks have apps for these devices, and you can see almost all the shows and news you want to see. Most people find that sports are the only thing they miss, and I couldn't give a fuck about sports so I don't care. But that's when having an antenna will come in handy.

M

moose eater

On rare occasion I throw the remote at the thing, causing the picture to later look like a cross between a kaleidoscope and a spider web. Then I go outside...

That was $400 spent a few years ago.

We received a promo on fiber-optic cable t.v. earlier, and despite it providing access to Netflix (my older son's 'second screen' bennies), Tubi, YouTube movies, and (other often-questionable) similar quality in viewing, I came to the conclusion that; A.) there are too many choices, to the extent that a person can spend an hour trying to FIND something that interests them, by which time the show's likely ended, and B.) most of what's offered is B-grade crap.

So, I'm getting closer to the point of believing that the most beneficial aspect of Wii Bowling, is that moment when, instead of using the Wii controller to simulate the release of the ball, just release the Wii controller at a good clip, straight into the screen. It's apt to be the most mind-freeing (and time-freeing) thing since... well... maybe since... I don't know when..

RB56

Veteran
I get over 60 channels from a rooftop antennae. Some duplication, but free. Then Roku for streaming. Netflix and Amazon Prime paid for.

Leaflet

There are like 1,000 channels available on Roku. My favorite channel is PlutoTV, which contains about 100 sub-channels (including the THC channel) inside of it. If there's a particular channel or set of channels you want to still watch from cable, then subscribe to SlingTV and add the channel to your Roku. The last time I checked, the Vudu channel had over 20,000 movies to watch (something like 5,000 for free). Between Crackle, Vudu, the Roku Channel and Tubi, there's enough movies to last you a lifetime. Oh yeah, there's also the High Times channel.

Mr. J

It's all garbage and you're better off without. I ditched cable years ago. I have a digital antenna that I picked up off Amazon for $30, I get about 20 channels. I don't spend 20 minutes flipping through 300 channels anymore to find out that nothing is on. Now I only have to flip through 20 channels before I can decide to spend my time doing something other than sitting around watching crap. Saves me a lot of time.

X

xavier7995

Wii bowling was a damn good time.

I have some 20 dollar antenna, works pretty well. There are probably 50 or 60 channels that come in, but a solid half are spanish/jesus/shopping. I really only watch PBS and cheesy old movies so it works out fine for me.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Streaming Roku, and Netflix. After I figured out $100 a month for 20 years for reruns and golf wasn’t worth it. Took a little adjustment without the sat tv but just thinking about 24000 bucks for tv I am quite happy to not pay the bill...

Friend

Veteran
For the last several years I've been satisfying my "tv" urges with various youtube channels. A lot of people who film for youtube are really talented and capable of high production values, so it's almost like watching a real tv show sometimes. I can cater my viewing to only things that interest me, and the commercials are usually just a few seconds long. I haven't paid for cable tv since 2008.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have the internet. Why would I pay for the same programs again, and then be expected to spend 30% of my viewing time watching adverts. What kind of insanity is that.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
We dumped cable tv and went with youtubetv. There are a few ways to get it to your tv but we use an apple tv box. Apple tv has their own tv channel set up too.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I want to thank each and everyone who responded.You have given me some great ideas,and that has prompted me to look further into more affordable entertainment.

I've watched a few vids on youtube,and I'll probably visit the local electronics retailer to perhaps get a grasp for what it takes to hook this stuff up and get it to work.I'm not a big fan of wiring birds nests. :)

I did see a recommendation for an antenna that may resolve my local broadcast needs (Mohu),and that just leaves me with the decisions for streaming content.Nice thing about doing this,is that it is possible to sample different providers to see what the best value for my little family is.

Thanks again for the help!

herbgreen

Veteran
spectrum has stream tv Its 30$ a month and runs on wifi roku........Theres Sling and Direct Tv has one also 25-35$month

None of the stream box alternatives have contracts afaik

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I dumped Verizon and got just cable from Optimum. Use Roku with SlingTV. A number of other free providers come with it. The others work great, but being in a busy area, slingTV hangs on me like a dozen times a day. Also have HDTV antenna that gets a lot of locals (hung in window).
I like getting old 3rd rock and Father Ted episodes, on demand for free.

caliprop215

Veteran
Find a friend or family member with direct tv.

Download direct tv app. Use there info to log in.

Get a roku stick and cast it to your tv from ur phone. That's what I've been doin for a year now. If u dnt have unlimited phone internet watch out it will add up quick but I dnt have to worry about that within metro.

It's called direct wifi .no internet needed besides on ur phone.

Only cost was 40 for roku

EsterEssence

Veteran
If I wanted a pay service I think I would use Hulu live, has most of the channels I want and a cloud that’s like a dvr. All of them have free trials, if you cancel before the week is up, most of them will give you a code for a free month to check them out...

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
If I wanted a pay service I think I would use Hulu live, has most of the channels I want and a cloud that’s like a dvr. All of them have free trials, if you cancel before the week is up, most of them will give you a code for a free month to check them out...

That's it. Youtubetv is 35$ with unlimited recording. You have to check the channel line up including MLB HBO etc and also check how much is HD and if there is any 4K. I think the appletv box kicks ass as far as being a platform to launch several other sources from one place, like youtubetv, Prime, netflix, hulu, youtube, etc etc.