What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS MY FIRST GROW TENT

Sir jeth carter

HEY id like to get some thoughts on my new grow tent.
I have a 5X5 grow tent
I have already purchased my inline fan, carbon filter, and oscillating fans

I wanted to know if I should rather go HPS lights or LEDs

I also wanted to know if I choose HPS will I definitely NEED an Air con to grow good bud, or will my fans be enough to keep the temperature controlled.

I also wanted to know if a Humidifier, de humidifier and a heater are Essentials or are they just luxurious additions as I am sticking to a budget

Your opinions will be truly appreciated.
Happy growing!!!!!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I personally don't like LED but HPS does have it's issues.

As for heating and AC, whatever you need to keep your room about 80F. Less than 70F is not great and over 85F or so is not too great. I like mine 82F during lights on and about 10 degrees less at night.

Also, nice clean air coming in and a way to vent the old air out.

Oscillating fan to keep it all moving around.

Mr. J

Go air-cooled HPS. Buy a second blower and cool your light completely separately. You will need another one for air exchange in the tent. Don't do it all with one blower, believe me, you'll have waaaaay more control of the conditions in the tent if you break it up. Sure, you'll need another blower but you'll be able to do it with two 4 inchers instead of one 6.

HEY id like to get some thoughts on my new grow tent.
I have a 5X5 grow tent
I have already purchased my inline fan, carbon filter, and oscillating fans

I wanted to know if I should rather go HPS lights or LEDs

I also wanted to know if I choose HPS will I definitely NEED an Air con to grow good bud, or will my fans be enough to keep the temperature controlled.

I also wanted to know if a Humidifier, de humidifier and a heater are Essentials or are they just luxurious additions as I am sticking to a budget

Your opinions will be truly appreciated.
Happy growing!!!!!
I've never grown with HPS, but I primarily flower with LEDs. They're more expensive up front, but I prefer that because of the benefits: lower heat and little/no maintenance costs (replacing bulbs). More comprehensive lists of pros/cons can be found with a quick search.

In regards to a/c, depending on where in the world and where in your home you are growing, you may still find a/c beneficial. I use a/c during the three months of summer that I get. Worth it. The rest of the year, I keep the window in that room cracked a few inches. Fans are good for keeping air temperature even throughout the grow space and for extraction. Extraction is necessary to replace the co2 in your tent as your plants consume it.

The other equipment you mentioned might be necessary, but, again, that's dependent on your grow climate and environment. I don't use any humidity-controlling devices or heaters in my grow space, but I don't have a need for them.

Ringodoggie's comment is spot on. My advice is to be a minimalist for your first grow, and buy things as you go as you determine that you need them.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
1000 watt hps with an 6-8" inline for cooling is perfect for a 5x5 and is the cheapest route.

Now these LED dudes are really kicking ass so if you have the coin that solves heat issues. I can't recommend any LED as I'm just starting to be a believer.

Latest posts

Latest posts