What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROOTWISE

Veteran
BIG SMILES from the Rocky Mts to you Tom.......great to see bro. Your thread has really brought together a great crew on here, can't wait to see what each of us does to push our personal goals/limits in 2010.....

Back to the anthill for me....:biggrin::biggrin:
:thank you:

HorseMouth

Tom-

Still setting the Bar up high. April 23rd, in the ground and looking great. It was 22 degrees up here in central Oregon last night. What have your low's been over the last few days? And what kind of temps do you feel safe with?

Thanks for all the advice info so far!

Last edited:

localhero

Nice one Tom,

That clears up the next step in my garden perfectly. The mix I used is basically your calcium regimine and nutes with a modified lc mix. The pots are pretty warm in the center. Thats the super green composting?

Hash Man

Looking good Tom! In the ground already and healthy despite the weather... I have a few questions about gypsum and lime if you can spare a moment...

First, I went to peaceful valley to grab all my ammendments, and when i asked for lime, they gave me calcium carbonate.... aka "sea shell lime"... Is this crushed oyster shell lime what you use, or is it dolomite lime that I need??

Also, in regards to rations of lime and gypsum with your recipe...

When using half the bone meal, (25lb/300gallons), should i also use half the lime and gypsum, to keep the ratios in check? My well water is ph'd at 6.5, thats why I am adding the lime...

Thanks for you time... Soon I will be posting my grow using your recipe... thanks for sharing it with us. Hash Man

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hehee Planty, catch me if you can bro. I'm already making improvements in my head for next year and I'll share one with you now. In these 12x20 Gpads I'll be hanging 2 vert bare-bulb 1000w halides to truck right on through this nasty weather. We're there anyway extending duration, might as well get some growing done on these snotty days too, right? The solely indoor pre-start guys could never keep up with this type of hybrid set-up.

Butte, RootWise, Nomaad, always a pleasure guys.

HorseMouth, that's too chilly. I am quite comfortable going out with forecasted lows of 38f+, which often translates to 33f as these weather guys are pretty much guessing this time of year. I had a reading of 33f the morning after the day of transplanting, 4 hours later, plants were reaching for it and happy. If you want to push it some, you can put 4 stakes (2 shorter) in a square around the plant forming a box to throw some 4-6 mil visqueen over in a shed-roof fashion, then punch some holes for venting. If you want to push it further, drop that light inside the coldframe too - works to keep the pump house from freezing right.

LocalHero, Yeah, the chicken and everything else. I sometimes throw a meat thermometer into the soil and give myself a greenlight after it has cooled to 80f or so, if I'm pushing it or pressed for time on the wait. Nice set-up by the way.

Hiya Hash Man, I've used both Dolomite and Oyster shell and think I prefer the higher % of Calcium in the oyster shell. I try to be careful about adding too much Mg to soil. First year, I'd use either though.

Yeah, if I was cutting in half any of these amendments, I'd cut them all in half.

Great to see all the bignames here. Respect. -T

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Thanks Tom,

I got two more gardens fenced off last night. I already brought out the sexed Haze plant. Its going to go into a Special spot. I deep tilled with lots of amendments. The ribs are in place to convert to green house and cover it this coming fall.
picture.php

The one on the left, still in the pot, going into the orchard garden

P

planty

My bro was on me this year to put 2 1K MH in the g pad instead of the 6 45 CFL...I will say, with the Modine heater and CFLs I've still got a great set of plants to go out with...even if it's been some shoddy weather most their life out side..

The biggest lesson you ever gave me Tom was when you told me to take my cuts in mid march and get them in the Gpad in April with heat...because you're right...THESE are some starts....If I were growing my starts indoor under lights and bringing them out when I plan to transplant in to my beds I'm 100% sure the quality of plant would be WAY less than what I'm blessed with in the Gpad at the moment...Thank you for always helping me to step my garden up just that much more.

I checked the forecast and I'm going to be planting between May 10 - May 14.

nomaad

Veteran
If I had my 300's fenced in and full, I might think about putting em in right now...sockets came too, so I am ready... but all I have ready are the 200's with 10' spacing... The new garden you and I walked the other day will have 12 300's and however many 200's will fit in the space I wind up with after I cut the tree down. I am thinking 15' spacing on the 300's.

Oh... by the way... cute little plants, Tom. ;)

2010_0423-419.jpg

nomaad

Veteran
If I were growing my starts indoor under lights and bringing them out when I plan to transplant in to my beds I'm 100% sure the quality of plant would be WAY less than what I'm blessed with in the Gpad at the moment..

not so sure about that, planty. i have been vegging both inside and outside in the GH and it seems like they are doing almost as well in both places... granted, i don;t have the same heat steeze as you in the GH, but they have been blowing up out there regardless... and now with the sun? shee-it. But the ones I had inside under the 2x1000wMH on a light-rail-5 really are not doing all the much worse. I still have a handful in there... we'll see how much the difference is as we continue with the sunny weather.

with plants this big and healthy I figured i just HAD to run a dozen 300's... otherwise, how'sa brother to compete?

Seriously, though... my bravado and wise-assedness in the last couple of posts is just good-natured ballbusting. I think its great that we're here pushing each other towards bigger and better. I'm thankful to all you guys for your contributions to my learning process.

nomaad

Veteran
DrP: 14ft in the center... the center is where u see the blue rope tied on... I am going to get up there and hang a proper rope so I can hang from a harness above my Cough crop. I am probably only going to do 4 or 5 large plants in there. One in a 300 gallon that will go in in early May and the others will go in late May in 100's or 150's.

P

planty

Those are mostly dreams right? Going out side with 5' dreams bro I hope you put in like 20' walkways..and 300s? Shit...if you haven't yet...get them 10 feet wide!! You're going to have 20 pound blue dream plants...I am very proud of you nomaad...now lets get to October my big plant brothers!

On the 300s...there's 8-9 feet between my rows.. centers 14-15 apart..I was measuring, kinda. Definitely the correct spacing

nomaad

Veteran
Yeah... the biggest ones are Dreams, but there are also quite a few Pineapple Coughs... I traded a Blue Dream cut for it last season... the guy I traded with grew them out side by side and reported back that heliked the Blue Dream because it kept up with the Pineapple Cough!!! so I have high hopes.

I am doing about 40 full season in pots of 200-300 gallons. Probably about 15 Blue Dreams, 5 Clueberry, 10 Pinapple Cough, 5 Collins Cough in the GH and 5 assorted other strains... but I have not decided which. I've got a couple of Purple Trainwrecks that are smaller, but they will probably be out there as well.

The plants on the left of the 'path' are my blackbox plants... Lots of Tahoe OG, Sour D, Master Kush, J1, Bubbz (A Bubba with a lot more sativa in her) and some other randoms...

At another location I have 60 more plants vegging under MH... they are half in 3.5" pots and half just got potted up to the 2gals. They will be replacing the black box plants in the hoophouse in July after harvest. Mostly Bubbz, J1 and SourD. Hopefully they will be good and grown into 10 gallon pots by the time they need to go out.

nomaad

Veteran
DrP: the part where I told Tom he had "cute little plants." I'm busting his balls... There is a faint undercurrent of competitiveness amongst us "shadowcasters"... Its going to be fun to see all the results, especially because many of us are trading genetics, so it will be fun to see the different results.

Obviously, its all in good fun... I feel quite honored to have the help of the seasoned vets around here.

Ok, the hole, was just over 400 gallons, Mounded,... With a Layer Of Oyster shell and pearlite in the bottom, all organics, and a 44" Proven SweetTooth plant that just went in. The compound is 10x10, but its going to be enlarged to 20'x20' soon for one plant, earth stapled to the ground and kept at about 6'. I cant compete with You Guys on quantity, But Ill put in my entry for one plant! LOL

that is going to be huge. my friends run a pallet of dirt in each hole...bout 600 gallons. They concede that there are seriously diminishing returns between 400 gallons and 600 gallons... next year, I am thinking about trying a single 600gallon in my GH with a single plant, vegging with supplemental light from late january and then running it full season. I can always just take the top off the Gh and let it grow thru the entire dome structure... that would be unreal.

D

danimal7

All the plants I put out last year that came from a 24 hr veg had to be pulled, put into the black box and replaced. I agree with T2U 100%...

Got my first 9 pots filled today. 9 more tomorrow... and so on. :)

I learned the same lesson a few years ago , since then I wait till mid june ....but i'm antsy as hell this year...and i have some better genetics that are more sativa dominant

Status
Not open for further replies.