What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super Malawi Haze, 6 weeks to go and possible mold!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi Chaps,

I'm new to this forrum but have been an indoor man in the UK since the days of Sensi Seeds (cant remember what they were first called) and Northern lights was the first indoor seed.

For the last few years i grew sativa dominent strains and some tammed sats indoors.

Over the years i've had issues with Botrytis. It has always been towards the end of flowering, in an over crowed room with inadequate ventilation/air movement. I'm happy to say that this is something I only had durring my early years.

I now live in Southern Spain, but for the last few years have been limited to growing in pots, due to having to relocate several times.

This is year is my first true grow in the earth.

I have three plants, Super Malawi Haze, Goldern Tiger and a stunted Malawi x Pck.

This morning I noticed what appears to be some sort of mold on one of the young flowers of the SMH! I reckon that they have at least 5 weeks to go! The day time temps are about 26c but the night is droping to 15c. The spot where it is gets plenty of breeze/wind.

I've grown Malawi and Panama Haze in pots and never had a problem with mold. A friend of mine with no growing experience, who lives quite a bit higher up the mountain than me, also grew some malawi and PH last year and despite his limited knowledge and them only recieving about 5-6 hrs of direct sun, only had a little mold right at the very end

Once i figure out how to upload photos i'll post some pics so you more experienced outdoor gardener's can take a look.

Also, is there a spell checker on here?

Many thanks

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
A couple of close ups of said bud

Attachments

• 20201001_132330.jpg
    20201001_132330.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20201001_132344.jpg
    20201001_132344.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 26

Koondense

Veteran
Hola Hombre del mont :)

Looks like these two buds are gone bad.
I would suggest to have a good close look at all buds, search for early signs of early bud rot and later mold(botrytis), in some cases the cause could be caterpillars excrements or other foliar damage by pests which can start budrot. If you can, closely inspect the buds daily, with gloves and all possible cleanliness, open them slowly to check for dead leaves petioles inside the buds. It's what in most cases starts budrot outdoors.
Until they stay healthy you let her flower and as soon as you start seeing it more frequently, chop her entirely or just the infected buds. Your choice because only you can see the plant's development in person.
I hope it's a singular event and that she will be able to hold on for more weeks, but you need to be realistic and check things regularly, especially the weather.

Best of luck

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Thank you, that makes sense! I've seen one or two very small catapilars but thought it wouldn't be overly problematic. is there aything that youd suggest that i could use to remove the little fuckers. I have some neem oil?

RED 1

Thank you, that makes sense! I've seen one or two very small catapilars but thought it wouldn't be overly problematic. is there aything that youd suggest that i could use to remove the little fuckers. I have some neem oil?
I use eyebrow tweezers my friend(sterilise them after every use)
It's best to go through plant thoroughly over a day or two, then keep eye on her, daily
Caterpillars at an advanced stage, usually nest deep within the bud

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I use eyebrow tweezers my friend(sterilise them after every use)
It's best to go through plant thoroughly over a day or two, then keep eye on her, daily
Caterpillars at an advanced stage, usually nest deep within the bud

Thanks Red, Tomorrow i'll be out there with the tweezers.

As you can see from the buds in the pics, i'm many weeks from harvest yet; What other measures can i take to stop any more of the little fuckers hatching.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
A few shots of the SMH.

Attachments

• 20201001_132408.jpg
    20201001_132408.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20201001_132418.jpg
    20201001_132418.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20201001_132443.jpg
    20201001_132443.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201001_132501.jpg
    20201001_132501.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 33

RED 1

Thanks Red, Tomorrow i'll be out there with the tweezers.

As you can see from the buds in the pics, i'm many weeks from harvest yet; What other measures can i take to stop any more of the little fuckers hatching.

I'm not sure H.
Plants we use for "camouflage"?
If I kill them off, wouldn't be able to have an outdoor(in soil)
Maybe that's the source?
My problem has been 3 to 4 individuals,with 2/3 weeks to go,I check frequently,daily
All I can suggest for now my friend

vcasqui

Aside from checking your plants regularly and remove the caterpillars by hand, you can also spray bacillus thuringiensis. The recommended "safety" time is about 10 days I think (since last spray to harvest I mean). So even If you want to extend that safety time to two weeks, you can still do it.

I, personally, wouldn't worry too much about getting the buds wet at this stage. I live in a very rainy place and these sativas, when the buds are still not too big, can take rain with no problem (the problems start when the buds get bigger and denser). And if you say that they are in a windy place with those temps, they should dry pretty quickly.

Koondense

Veteran
Consider some defoliation, it will help with aeration of the plant's inside branches and buds. Less stagnating humidity, less chance for mold.

Cheers

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Consider some defoliation, it will help with aeration of the plant's inside branches and buds. Less stagnating humidity, less chance for mold.

Cheers
Thank you Koondense, That is something that i've been thinking of doing once they've developed some more. The plant has been lollipoped and i've taken off some of the leaves that were particually crowded.

First thing this morning i was out inspecting and removed another 2 of the buggers! I also took a trip to the local grow shop and now have Cordalene (Bacillus Thuringiensis), once the wind drops i'm nuking them!

SolarLogos

Koondense is correct I believe, cutworms we call them. Spray once a week with BT (Bacillus Thuregenisis). It's a harmless bacteria to humans and you can spray up until harvest. Worms have to eat it, but it only takes a bite and they will stop eating, then die. This is the time of year in CA when we get hit hard by those worms and I've had success using it each year. You can look around those buds where the mold is and you can usually find them hiding between the smaller flowers that make up the larger buds. You sometimes will find the worm about 30 cm below the rot. There will also be some damage where he had eaten, along with worm poop. Worm poop is the tell tell sign.
Best of luck. Nice selection for your first Ace grow!
Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

I should have mentioned, if you go out to your plants at night after dark with a flashlight, it's the best time to spot them and you can pick them off also. Problem with just picking them off is the one's that are hidden. Just one can destroy a nice cola.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Thank you Gentlemen for your input.

I have many years of indoor gardening experience but bloody catapillars are completly new to me.

Thank God for ICmag! when i first saw the mold i was shocked, as the temps and humidity were fine and the buds not nearly as developed as one would expect when finding mold indoors.

Unfortunately, since getting back from the grow shop, it's been blowing a gale, so no spraying today.

SolarLogos

Thank you Gentlemen for your input.

I have many years of indoor gardening experience but bloody catapillars are completly new to me.

Thank God for ICmag! when i first saw the mold i was shocked, as the temps and humidity were fine and the buds not nearly as developed as one would expect when finding mold indoors.

Unfortunately, since getting back from the grow shop, it's been blowing a gale, so no spraying today.
If there is enough break in the wind, I would get them plants sprayed before nightfall. They come out at night and can do a lot of damage. One worm can travel the whole length of a cola bud overnight, leaving damage and lots of poop. Mold comes from the poop. Don't wait if you can.
Peace

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
If there is enough break in the wind, I would get them plants sprayed before nightfall. They come out at night and can do a lot of damage. One worm can travel the whole length of a cola bud overnight, leaving damage and lots of poop. Mold comes from the poop. Don't wait if you can.
Peace

Thanks Solar, I was of the same mind but unfortunatetly it blow all night long. I've been out this morning before the sun was up and drenched all the girls. I have to teach a tai chi class shortly but as soon as thats done i'll be inspecting them agian.

I'll update later in the week.