What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help for new guy. Can't find Foxfarms Ocean Forest anywhere.

JohnR171R

Been watching this website for a long time and finally joined. I have a 250 watt hps grow cab that i have been using for many years now. It works pretty good but now i have a problem. I can't find foxfarm ocean forest soil anywhere and it's the only soil i ever used that worked. I never had a problem getting it before but now it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. I'm in upstate NY.

If anybody has any suggestions i would be most thankful.

ElGato

Veteran
Peat imports from Canada have pretty much stopped since the Covid19 thing started.
That is why you cant find any FFOF soil

my local shops are out as well ....yes, it sucks

'Boogieman'

Fox farm ocean forrest is basically worm castings, sphagnum peat moss, and a bit of perlite with kelp, crab, and other basic soil ammendments. You can easily replicate the mix yourself.

Buddablezz888

Been watching this website for a long time and finally joined. I have a 250 watt hps grow cab that i have been using for many years now. It works pretty good but now i have a problem. I can't find foxfarm ocean forest soil anywhere and it's the only soil i ever used that worked. I never had a problem getting it before but now it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. I'm in upstate NY.

If anybody has any suggestions i would be most thankful.
You can purchase it on EBay for $36.27 plus tax by esbenshadesgardencenter. Just purchased a bag of 1.5 cu ft. Great price!

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
That’s a horrible price. I pay less than $15 a bag at two different local shops. Only one of the two carries Fox Farm Original Planting Mix, though. I can get a bag of FFOF, OPM, & Light Warrior out the door for $56.

I need to get a few bags this weekend and this thread had me worried. Just checked the site and added 20 bags to my cart, seemingly without issue - no mention of not being in stock.

Possibly just a regional shortage.

JohnR171R

Thanks guys.

OK i called Fox farm the other day and this is what they said.

They are cranking out their product just like they always have. They claim there is no slow down on their end for any reason. The only idea they came up with was that when everybody got laid off from their jobs for covid they started gardening to keep themselves busy.

I have no idea what the reason is but thats what they told me.

JohnR171R

I don't know maybe buy any potting mix don't complicate your life it's not the end of the world

You must be a better grower than me. I've tried a bunch of different soils as well as tried making it myself. Ended up with nothing but yellow leaves and dead plants until fox farm.

After i tried FF my plants grew very well with no problems.

T

TakenByTheSky

Thanks guys.

OK i called Fox farm the other day and this is what they said.

They are cranking out their product just like they always have. They claim there is no slow down on their end for any reason. The only idea they came up with was that when everybody got laid off from their jobs for covid they started gardening to keep themselves busy.

I have no idea what the reason is but thats what they told me.

I know someone that works at a grocery store and I asked about the lack of some items and they told me there is a shortage of truck drivers right now perhaps maybe the same issue is happening with soil delivery as most soil comes by palletized freight shippers.

JohnR171R

I know someone that works at a grocery store and I asked about the lack of some items and they told me there is a shortage of truck drivers right now perhaps maybe the same issue is happening with soil delivery as most soil comes by palletized freight shippers.

Great minds think alike. I had the exact same notion but i have no way to prove it.

yardgrazer

In my neck of the woods garden centers have definitely been going gangbusters since May. I'm sure border and shipping issues play a role as well, but IME garden centers are often out of a lot of garden products this late in the summer. Add increased demand and supply chain issues and...

JohnR171R

In my neck of the woods garden centers have definitely been going gangbusters since May. I'm sure border and shipping issues play a role as well, but IME garden centers are often out of a lot of garden products this late in the summer. Add increased demand and supply chain issues and...

Yeah the lateness of the season is another reason i thought of for the shortage. Fortunately i have just enough left over for my next grow but I'm the kind of person who keeps a stockpile of a couple bags around as a back up. I don't wait to run out before i go shopping.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Well, the shortage is legit. Two Thursdays ago (23rd) I found my favorite local shop all out of FFOF with no ETA. Thankfully the other local shop had some but man I hate giving them my money. Without fail it’s the same every time: 5 - 8 millennial dudes sitting around behind the counter bullshitting and offering no help, not even a greeting upon entry. Terrible vibes.

For what it’s worth, John R, the woman who manages the good shop is really on top of her game and they brought in Mother Earth Groundswell soil to fill the void - so if it’s available to you it might be worth a look. She says the nutritional load is comparable to FFOF. I got a couple bags. I found it to be a heavier/denser mix. I added some Light Warrior, Fruit & Flower fertilizer, and some extra perlite. Transplanted three plants into it earlier in the week. Time will tell.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Same problems here in Virginia.
I heard that last fall they had a fire ot their plant. They were just starting to recover from the fire when covid came and knocked out the workforce.
Then on top of all that the whole world wants to plant victory gardens and grow their own food, now that they aren't working.

Dandelo

cheaper to replicate your own mix but you should be able to find it around, I know of 3-4 places within 20 miles that carry it by me and everyone is definitely gardening a bit more now a days.

G

Wow. You must have easy availability of coast of main soils. Be my first choice.

Latest posts

Latest posts