What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help Identifying this pest? (video)

DonFKennedy

https://youtu.be/Y1VNR4rQ1lU

Link to Video of these pests crawling/jumping around

Doing a run of Grandaddy Purple that I got from Herbies. Also getting into perpetual so I have Herijuana seedlings going.

In Hydroton doing flood and drain. Seeds started in rockwool cubes.
I run Advanced Nutrients besides Botanicare CalMag, Silica Blast (also use Rhino Skin), and a compost tea that my local grow shop gives away for free that has guano and all this other stuff in it.

Was about to take a plant from one room to another, but picked up the first plant and noticed these tiny white pests on the roots.

I've been working on the room that has these plants in it and the table has been draining REALLY slow, so the roots have remained really wet (I was about to fix that).

I just want to kill these things. I'll kill all my bennies.. I don't care.. I'll get more. I just want to save my crop and be rid of these.

Please Help!

DonFKennedy

I just googled this. I think you might be right. It makes sense. Any idea how to get rid of them? I see a lot of debate about whether they're beneficial or bad, but if it's debatable then I'd rather just go without them.

I'm really wondering if my hydro store puts these in their tea.

touringfunkband

I see them all the time using Canna brand coco and I have not seen any kind of deficiency which points to the existence of springtails. The majority of posts I've read seem to say springtails eat only dead plant matter and pose no harm to the plant so I have never bothered trying to eradicate them.

Please, someone chime in if they believe otherwise.

DonFKennedy

Now that you've helped me figure out what they are (springtails), I found more information.

Everyone seems to argue about whether they're bad or good. The two guys who said they were bad had this to say:

"I battled them for a loooooong time and they reduced my yields to nothing."

another guy says:

"Either way Glomus fasciculatus is affected severely by springtails which correlates directly with reduced phosphate uptake and decreased yield in the plants (leeks) studied. G fasciculatus, and other unidentified fungi species hyphae and spores were isolated from the gut of the springtails studied."

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=158462

Anyhow, I used a product called GoGnats. Mixed it in my res and they all died. One treatment. Guy at my local hydro store recommended it.

Latest posts

Latest posts