What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question about cloning

Lexort420

Alright I just took my first clones ever and I just want to know how do you tell when your clones have failed to root? I just want to prepare for that possibility and it's kinda of obvious when they succeed. I mean are there any clear signs I just don't want to accidentally throw them out after waiting and come to find out I threw em out prematurely. What's the point of no return?

Lexort420

Ok like I said I just took em so I know I got some time to wait just wanna give em every opportunity to root ya know

Lexort420

Well I sprayed the dome with ph'd water the peat pellets had to soak too. As far as nutes go I gave non cuz for one I didn't think nutes matter alot since they have no roots and two I hadn't recalled seeing anything about giving nutes yet. I could be wrong about that tho like I said first time taking clones and today is day one lol so its really early in on this

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
They can start to turn yellowish, look sickly, shrivel up, stems take on a woody look etc...

I clone in pretty much the same way and after about 2 weeks or so if there is no clear signs a cut has rooted I will gently squeeze the peat puck on all sides to loosen it up and gently pull the cut out to see if it has roots. Some strains just naturally take longer to root, like old depressed clones. 2 weeks is usually my limit, if it hasn't rooted in 2 weeks I call it a loss and start more. Some strains like OG kush and related hybrids can be an absolute nightmare to clone, so sometimes inability to root is genetic.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
its called root or die ...easy to tell after a few weeks...keep medium moist not overly wet ,,,,keep it warm with steady temps,,,,keep humidity high,,,,keep light level low...yeehaw......clones don't live too long without roots unless in refrigerator.....then they last a month or so... I generally see lower leaves start to yellow a bit and plant stretch some...I hate peat pucks they suck ass!!!!!!!!..perlite rules over any cheap medium I have used.. and I tried em all just about .......unless there is something new and overhyped...home depot has big bags like 16 $$$$ last average guy long time......perlite is just about foolproof and has perfect structure for fast root development......holds moisture but has airspace ,,,,almost impossible to over water in right container,,, but doesn't dry out fast ...cant beat that!!!!!!!!...I wish you a high success rate man ..good luck/

Lexort420

Ya I grow bagseed so I'm sure its not a OG or anything fancy. It's a reveg I took the clones from I wanted to save the plant because I really liked it

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
go rapid rooters and Cheap Home Depot rooting powder..shit changed my life. Peat pellets are cool....Rapid rooters are better. They both work though.

As far as time...I usually give them between 2 and 3 weeks to show roots. If I dont see roots peeking out within 7-10 days I start to get worried. lol

TpM

Budley Doright

Veteran
I suggest that anyone serious about cloning have an aquarium thermometer....

You said you wanted to give them every opportunity....

temps are probably the biggest factor and is often overlooked....

There is a cloning thread in my signature..... its pretty long these days....but it has everything you need to know to make you an expert cloner....

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I use seedling heat mats with temp controls.... almost foolproof...yeehaw.. I go at 80.. I believe constant temps are critical part of cloning .. I use woods and cheap powders both give great results for me,,,, but hell I used olivias for years so I fine tuned my technique without realizing olivias has no hormones i3ba naa ect..weak ferts equal to a bag of miracle grow perlite with ferts added...ha ha

Clones that dont wilt exposed to still air for 20-30 minutes means they are almost ready to be taken away from the dome. But dont put them under moving air from a fan yet, it may over burden the roots ability to draw water and they will wilt. Don't mist your clones, they will take longer to root, it discourages to make roots if they are getting water from their leaves.

TheScrogFrog

About 100 different ways to clone and everyone has their own method that works for them. I take cutting, dip into clonex gel, into moist jiffy puck(6.0pH'd tapwater), spray clones and dome lid(6.0pH'd tapwater), into my veg space(80-82F) on the floor as far as possible from the light, spray clones and lid once a day, add a little 6.0pH'd tapwater to the pucks when they need it, get roots in 7-10 days always. I've also taken cuttings and put right into pro-mix with no gel/rooting agent and they root around 3 weeks, though I did have some take up to 4 weeks, they will root eventually. Did the bubble cloner thing for a while, that works too, usually got roots in 10-14 days with that. I like jiffy pucks because of the simplicity. Less mess.