What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WeGoBig's 1800W Apartment Grow Show :)

W

wegobigupnorth

Whats going on IC maggers ? :biggrin: I FINALLY got my grow coming together. Just getting some of the last pieces of equipment which a buddy is dropping off later tonight but I wanted to get this log started so y'all can give me advice along the way...I am (for my age) a pretty darn experienced outdoor grower. Cannabis has been my life and my love since I was very young. I fell in love after that first puff at age 11 and planted my first seeds that same year but did not have my first real harvest until age 13. After my friend and I harvested the only two plants we could keep alive out of 120 seedlings, even though we had an extremely hard, rough, terrible year that did NOT pay off I was fucking hooked. Went bigger every year doing gorilla grows and was able to move outta momma's place about a year and a half ago thanks to a few successful years..Had a roommate when I first got my own place that was not down to risk growing so but now I finally got my own spot...

Despite about 10 seasons of outdoor grows under my belt, I had never flowered a plant indoors. Started hundreds of seedlings indoors over the years, cut clones, etc. I am a little intimated and probably shoulda just used a small tent with 1 600W light but I have never done things that way in my life lol. Even though I am a beginner at indoor, this set up seems small as hell to me and I wanted to go even bigger and I plan to do so after the first harvest. I plan to get my own house after this years outdoor season so I don't have to do this stressful apartment thing. I am NOT a legal medical grower (am a patient but not legal to grow thanks to shitty fucking new regulations) I need cannabis to function, I was able to get off a massive Oxycontin and Valium prescription thanks to cannabis but now I consume much more then I did while taking prescription drugs (which of course the government happily pays for) that I can simply no longer afford to keep paying the fucking insane cost for top quality organic medicine

I decided to go bigger then I originally planned. Went out and got a 4X8 Gorilla grow tent. I want to put 3 600 watters in the bad boy and I have seen people with the same tent pull it off but my buddy who lives in my area has to take out one light in the summer time and just run two because of temps and we are approaching summer so we shall see if I can manage 1800, if not, I will be running 1200.

Just a couple pictures so you can see the tent. for anyone that is looking to get a new tent, these Gorilla tents are fucking amazing. Solid as hell, good to hold 300 pounds and the reflection material on the inside is just amazing..

Last edited:
W

wegobigupnorth

As mentioned, this is an apartment grow. For just a two bedroom apartment, some people might think this is actually kind of a larger scale grow (personal) grow but i actually plan to expand after first harvest. this spot really does not get any better.On the top floor corner unit so only one neighbor who is not close and I do not "share" a balcony with them (they are on my side but not close at all and big ass concrete walls totally block anyones view.

I have included some pictures of the view outside the grow room window which I will be using to exhaust and also pull in fresh air from outside

The one on the right is the view straight down. I am on the top floor 14 stories up so no one above me at all and there is no roof access. The picture on the left shows the big concrete wall seperating me from my neighbours and I did not take a picture of the view to the right because it is to hard for me to get rid of landmarks but just know that there are NO other buildings close by.

It is so fucking windy this high up that I really wouldn't even have to filter the air I am exhausting. It will be all blown away faster then a person can sneeze by the tornado like winds. Plus even if the smell lingered, There is no one beside or above me and the smell is not going to travel down very much at all.

W

wegobigupnorth

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, THE BABY GIRLS :) Mad respect to my homie who hooked up these cuts. Not sure if he wants a shout out of not but he really helped me out and I can tell they are some great genetics.

Running triple deez by Cabin Fever Seeds and fire alien strawberry by OgRaskel

First picture is the triple deez and then the next one of the two in grow bags are fire alien. The runt you can't see will in grow bag is a triple deez that I topped and it really stunted it. The one triple deez I have been LSTing fucking loves it though. The seedlings you see in last picture are golden berry and critical +

Gry

Veteran
What is your electric supply like ? How much do have to work with ?

W

wegobigupnorth

Respect to you all for being here! I hope you enjoy the show and I can make you all proud!

Regarding the electrical situation, the one person I trust enough to know about this grow is a fully licensed electrician who is also a grower. He was just by my place and brought almost all of the rest of the equipment over.

Here is a timer box that I got a great deal on thanks to him. I never, ever use my stove because I suck at cooking so I just unplugged it and have to run heavy duty cords to grow room. tomorrow my buddy is hooking up the "poly panel" I really do not know fuck all about electricity sadly but he is a genius and says with this set up I can safely run 5500W is I believe what he said (not the exact number but it was something like that)

hoss1111

I would still use a carbon filter....... You never know man, it's really the best way to go.

Safe then sorry buddy

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah definitely on with the carbon (you'll need them eventually anyway). Mufflers and insulated fan boxes will cut the noise/vibration, jerry'd up with rubber straps. That type of noise carries very well through floors/walls, and is easy to overlook until you're standing in a neighbour's apartment.

Prefer leaving the blinds/shades up myself, then polying over the whole window frame to cover light when working or such. Not really much of a concern in your particular situation, but a good habit to have. Indirect HID lighting is impossible to mistake for standard room lights.

Having a solid sparky on hand is worth his weight in gold. Otherwise, looks like a great start and I look forward to watching it develop.

W

wegobigupnorth

OH I AM using a carbon filter! SORRY! I meant I probably wouldn't even have too but I am def not going to skimp...I am not that kinda guy. Already spent a shit load over budget but when I do something, I do it right. Especially something to do with cannabis. I am not running a filter right now because obviously things do not smell much

My sparky friend is worth his weight in gold for sure. I am so lucky to have been friends with this guy since we were teenagers. Not only is he an amazing grower and electrician with his own very successful biz, but he is a true friend that loves to help/mentor me. Without him, I would be scared as fuck to wire this up in an apartment. I still got fucking fuses for christ sake! I blow a fuse I gotta put a new one in no flipping a switch here!

Mikell, your comment regarding covering the window is exactly how I am doing it. Just got some blinds on it right now and when the sun goes down today I am covering it with poly. It will just look like the blinds are closed to anyone that can see the window but again, you would need some serious binoculars or a telescope to be able to see my window at all! And 90% of the ones below me are covered with fucking tin foil..

I can't wait to get my own house but I am pretty happy with this apartment. It is slightly higher rent then most of the buildings around but with the same quality units which obviously at first upset me but its great because my building is mostly older folks that mind their own business. No young people partying, thuggish teenagers or junkies on welfare. Being in my 20's, I used to really want to move to a more "hip" area but I really fucking lucked out with this spot.

Only have one single inspection a year and already had it about 2 weeks ago (he did not enter room with tent anyway just as he had not the year before) so its ON. Changed my locks a year back so no fucking maintenance are getting in here when I'm not around.

W

wegobigupnorth

QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS! So my friend dropped off some equipment last night, he only had 2 complete light set ups. Lumatek digital 1000's that are dim-able. When discussing with him how I was planning on running 3 600's in the tent he said it would for sure be possible but it would make much more sense to run 2 1000's. Do you guys agree?

I would get 200 extra watts but I feel I could for sure yield more with 3 600's as I will be able to cover more surface area. What would you guys do..? 2 1000s would probably be a little bit easier to work with. I can split the tent perfectly in half that way it is kind of hard to spread the 3 lights totally evenly but thats not that much of a concern....

I just want to use the method that will be most efficient...As in yield the most with least amount of plants.

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
In your tent two thousand watters should be fine, 600s are supposedly more efficient but it's all about that GPW, good luck with the grow man I hope you get some top notch smoke

hoss1111

What are the dates on the lumateks, I got a used one and it made the tv all messed up in the house. So I traded it for a mag ballast. Tvs are all good now;)

Check em out to make sure:)

W

wegobigupnorth

I was worried about interference with the cable/internet especially as it would obviously effect the neighbors if it effected mine but they are fairly new and my sparky friend assured me their would be no problem,he used them himself. I already tested them with the TV on and no issues.

W

wegobigupnorth

I do have a mag ballast as well but a component in it keeps failing..I know it will be an easy and free fix though. Still under warranty at the shop

soggiebottom

Good for you getting off the Big Pharma drugs...bad shit/scene

For me, so far, in a SOG....a 600 or a 1000, it hasn't mattered. I yield exactly the same per watt. All I did tho was literally put a 600 in place of a 1000. Everything else identical...it yielded exactly 40% less than the 1000. So same...watt for watt...in that scenario.
Certainly nothing wrong about two 1k's in there..especially you already have them. I suppose if it gets too hot at some point tho...cutting down to two points of light and 1200w total will be a lot better than dropping down to a single 1000w source

W

wegobigupnorth

Thanks for the compliment brother. Getting off the pharms was the best thing I ever have done in my life and it is insane how much good indica weed helps me. I wish I could legally help people get off and stay off opiates with the help of cannabis. I play to do it even if the law does not allow it.... just as these dispensaries, I will do it "as legal as I can"

Gonna get some pictures up soon as the grow room is almost complete. It is really coming along, I am stoked to have such a good set up for my first grow. my buddy has really hooked me up again with an 8 inch vortex fan with Phresh filter. I need to get the carbon replaced though for sure shit is fairly used.

It is crazy how much air this thing moves around...I love how easy it is to control where air goes in an apartment. I actually think I was stressing this apartment growing thing to much I can see now how low key it can be...Makes me wonder how many hidden gardens are around me hehe.

panick503

The way I look at it, the biggest difference between indoor growing and outdoor growing is this...

Outdoors u are obviously at the mercy of ur environment, and your largest task is trying to help ur plants deal with whatever challenges this environment provides. Indoors, u are creating ur environment, so ur biggest goal.should be making that perfect, ie. proper temperature, humidity, adequate air flow... other than that it's the same plant, and likes the same things in either scenario.