What's new

Proper coco pot sizing

Bob-Zilla

Will appreciate all first hand input from the Coco aficionados currently on board. Going to give coco a second go around as my initial attempt was less than desirable(to say the least)
I run big trees 5-6'@1.5/2k per tree, in 27 gal totes using hydromix hp(yields avg 3-6lbs depending wattage). They require long vegging 5-6 weeks and 75-90 days flowering . I realize my shortcomings last time was mostly due to the totes being a oversized container for the coco media. This run I have put the totes away and picking up a fabric type pot but am uncertain on the ideal size for this particular scenario. My thoughts are between a 10 or 15gal but have also seen online the 7's putting out bigger sized trees. Thanks in advance for any input...

BZ

watts

ohms
Veteran
i'd go with 7-10 for your needs, get them on a drip system when they start to need watering more than once per day.

Snow Crash

Veteran
I recommend the 10 Gallon container but not filled with 10 gallons of coco. I'd use more along the lines of 70%-80% of the space and leave a lot of room on the top. You can either roll the sides down or just give yourself plenty of "float" room for waterings.

This will provide a nice wide base for a root system to support a plant that size without the additional weight of 2-3 gallons of wet coco compressing the bottom few inches and over saturating that area with water (Phreatic zone). I would use aeration media at the base, like hydroton, growstones, or perlite, to help maximize the DO as much as possible if deciding to go with a full 10 gallon fill.

I typically veg my plants for about 2 weeks for each gallon of coco to hit that spot where the roots fill the container completely, but that's a foggy suggestion and you might have a different number depending on strain and environment.

vostok

Veteran
I never go above 5 gallon smarties when running coco, I grow trees as well.

This ..^^^ I went against this advice once and lost the lot, on a rapid relocation, a bust was imminent, and had to move, water and coco all over my buddies new truck ...lol

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I grow 6' plants as well but 6 plants around a 1k, 2gal fabric. He's talking 2k around each plant and pulling 3-6lbs off a plant. I go with Crash on this one, do it like he says with the 10 gal IMO.

Bob-Zilla

i'd go with 7-10 for your needs, get them on a drip system when they start to need watering more than once per day.
most definitely will be hooked up to drippers to allow multiple daily feeding.

I never go above 5 gallon smarties when running coco, I grow trees as well.
how big a tree?

I recommend the 10 Gallon container but not filled with 10 gallons of coco. I'd use more along the lines of 70%-80% of the space and leave a lot of room on the top. You can either roll the sides down or just give yourself plenty of "float" room for waterings.

This will provide a nice wide base for a root system to support a plant that size without the additional weight of 2-3 gallons of wet coco compressing the bottom few inches and over saturating that area with water (Phreatic zone). I would use aeration media at the base, like hydroton, growstones, or perlite, to help maximize the DO as much as possible if deciding to go with a full 10 gallon fill.

I typically veg my plants for about 2 weeks for each gallon of coco to hit that spot where the roots fill the container completely, but that's a foggy suggestion and you might have a different number depending on strain and environment.
right along my line of thoughts, I do use a 2 inch layer of hydroton in the totes under the hydromix, really makes a difference in peat based media. I wouldn't think of it as necessary in fabric pots of coco,although its something to consider. Solid advice bro thank you

This ..^^^ I went against this advice once and lost the lot, on a rapid relocation, a bust was imminent, and had to move, water and coco all over my buddies new truck ...lol
nitemare of a situation..lol, have had my share of similar scenario

everyone's definition of "trees" is different.
you can say that again brother

I grow 6' plants as well but 6 plants around a 1k, 2gal fabric. He's talking 2k around each plant and pulling 3-6lbs off a plant. I go with Crash on this one, do it like he says with the 10 gal IMO.
Thanks

Show me this 6 pound indoor plant. For 4-6 weeks veg go 5 gal.
For your eyes pleasure or for me to prove it ? Sorry bro until things change in this state I don't take the unnecessary risk. But trust you me, hang 2k over a 6'x7' strung up fully supported (hybrid)strain(magic jack cut in this case) in a big container and flower for 90 days and you will experience it with your very eyes. It's not a fast turnaround and still under a gpw every 30 days when all said and done ,but I keep within a certain plant count to sleep better nights,lol.
Thanks though..and feel free if I can be of any help.

vostok

Veteran
everyone's definition of "trees" is different.

So True ...I see it as

smaller than 12 inches(300mm) a 'plant' or 'twig'?

smaller than me is a 'Bush' or a George Double'ya

bigger than me or difficult to move a 'tree'!

Yeah! I found this twig by those bushes I left it there under those trees...lol

Bob-Zilla

let me mention my goal here is to 1. reduce the amount of media used per run 2. use the properties of coco to shorten my veg time. 2 very big advantages in the long run,imo.
Im not one to fix what isn't broken, but I consider this a fine tune to a already solid setup.

RedBeardy5

My trees end up around 6ft in 3 gallon smarties. 6 plants around a 1000 and 400 watt hps. But I end up with around 2.5 pounds. Yours sound like tall and wide bushes so I would take snow crashes advice.

RedBeardy5

You probably could do it in 5 gallon smarties if your trying to be conservative. If you do it you should post a journal!

saluki

ICMag Donor
I had a hard time believing Heath Robinsons 56 ounce indoor plant even with the pictures and proof he provided. I mean I'm not calling you a liar but pulling 96 ounces off 1 plant with that short of a veg is kind of mind boggling.

Personally I don't like making claims or statements like that unless I can back them up with proof.

That's just me though.

Bob-Zilla

I had a hard time believing Heath Robinsons 56 ounce indoor plant even with the pictures and proof he provided. I mean I'm not calling you a liar but pulling 96 ounces off 1 plant with that short of a veg is kind of mind boggling.

Personally I don't like making claims or statements like that unless I can back them up with proof.

That's just me though.
Fair enough...but that makes 2 of us. If I remember correctly,back in those years I was running 4 smaller mini trees per light and had a really hard time understanding the possibility of such yields. But it was threads like his that sparked my curiosity for something bigger.to this day his grows are much more efficient given his watts/cycle times/DWC, much more then anything I've ever put together.Soon after the H.R. era I entered the high watt monster tree realm.
Anyway...look I didn't start this thread claiming this or stating that, simply looking to transition into coco fabric pots while clearly describing my blueprint.
the veg times stated earlier is after the last transplant into final container.total time from 6" clone is around 10 weeks avg. and truth be told technically my heaviest of trees totaled 93ish z's, bad habit to label it as 6 ;)

HUGE

Veteran
Ya I still call bullshit. 6Lb indoor tree ain't happening unless you are talking wet weight

HUGE

Veteran
Pics because no one who has any real experience with this would believe this bullshit.

For your eyes pleasure or for me to prove it ? Sorry bro until things change in this state I don't take the unnecessary risk. But trust you me, hang 2k over a 6'x7' strung up fully supported (hybrid)strain(magic jack cut in this case) in a big container and flower for 90 days and you will experience it with your very eyes. It's not a fast turnaround and still under a gpw every 30 days when all said and done ,but I keep within a certain plant count to sleep better nights,lol.
Thanks though..and feel free if I can be of any help.[/QUOTE]

Bob-Zilla

Ya I still call bullshit. 6Lb indoor tree ain't happening unless you are talking wet weight
so 3.5 is possible because you saw it online but not 6? Lmao.

Pics because no one who has any real experience with this would believe this bullshit.
Clear to see you are far from experienced "with this". Thanks for your contribution in this thread, now go fuck off to someone else's.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts