What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The best olive oil

what do you reckon is the best olive oil you have ever tried, if your a foodie this should be fairly easy.

i have nightmares sometimes over finishing off my prize oil

Green81

Veteran
Private french olive farm, first pressed olive oil with balsamic and french baguette, super delicious.

G81

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
The best is picked and pressed ASAP, the longer it sits around the higher the levels of acidity, lower the grade and therefore price you get for it.

If you can get enough together quickly and get it pressed by people who will give you your own oil back, you know it has not been sprayed with 101 chemicals, the local farmers here love a spray up.

Then, keep it unfiltered, you should see sediment on the bottom, it does not keep and should be stored in the dark.

This stuff is incredibly good, do NOT COOK with it... use it as a cold dressing. Fry a slice of meat, with a Pepper, remove from wood fire, or turn the gas off, put on plate, liberally slosh with Virgin Olive Oil, Maldon Sea Salt, freshly ground black pepper, enjoy.

Source : I have a couple of olives on my marijuana farm.

I've found small store's specializing in olive oil and balsamic vinegar,(locally processed) traveling to small town's in my state.I have to say that what I did sample was very ,very good.The price prohibits me from buying,but I've been looking for some good olive oil,maybe,this is the route to go.Me and the wife don't use it that much but still nice to have for bread and cooking etc.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I'm enjoying this thread. Last year I stopped using butter and instead now slop olive oil on everything. Haven't missed the cow grease one bit. I keep trying different brands searching for rich flavor. I think this old stoner needs to take notes though to keep track of which were the tastiest oils.

I'm enjoying this thread. Last year I stopped using butter and instead now slop olive oil on everything. Haven't missed the cow grease one bit. I keep trying different brands searching for rich flavor. I think this old stoner needs to take notes though to keep track of which were the tastiest oils.

Any names you could through out their for us?

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Any names you could through out their for us?

Unfortunately no. That's why I need to keep notes. I had one bottle that really had a rich olive flavor and it opened my eyes. Like a fool I tossed the empty bottle in the trash when it was empty and opened another brand that was in my cupboard, then when I was out I couldn't remember what had been the tastiest kind.

And it is a fact that you get what you pay for. I'm sure that if I stop looking for what's on sale my horizons would be greatly expanded. But money is tight and I don't need another expensive taste. I could try getting several different kinds and save the best for when the flavor would count the most, but then I'd probably end up with a number of half empty bottles going off from sitting in a warm cupboard for too long after being opened.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
fresh from greece must be on waiting list which takes years to get on

do not use it to cook its sacrilege

D

dramamine

If you guys see one called Olio Verde, and you feel like splurging, it's a really good one. Fruity and buttery with a slight grassy hint. My favorite...amazing with almost anything. About 40 bucks a bottle, usually. Good thread...

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
fresh from greece must be on waiting list which takes years to get on

do not use it to cook its sacrilege

I have tried fresh Greek, Spanish and Italian, inc an E25 Italian grown up by the lakes, it makes no great difference. Here we get beautiful Stainless tankers from Italian Olive Oil companies picking up Spanish Olive oil to put in their "Italian" bottles...

What you really want is the non commercial oil, unfiltered, it does not keep well, so companies filter it, the public does not want "bits in it" when they buy OO. So try to find it through friends who have gone home to see relatives.

Plus, for cooking, it is not just sacrilege, there is some technical reason, more refined oils do not break down like Oilve does, it goes from being super healthy to unhealthy if you fry it.

Stick it on freshly cooked meat, fish, salads and also chocolate, [with salt].

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
First Cold Press Extra Virgin Italian Olive Oil

First Cold Press Extra Virgin Italian Olive Oil

aaff559.jpg

available @ Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MMO8W2

Tell 'em Vito sent you.......

aaff560.jpg

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I have tried fresh Greek, Spanish and Italian, inc an E25 Italian grown up by the lakes, it makes no great difference. Here we get beautiful Stainless tankers from Italian Olive Oil companies picking up Spanish Olive oil to put in their "Italian" bottles...

What you really want is the non commercial oil, unfiltered, it does not keep well, so companies filter it, the public does not want "bits in it" when they buy OO. So try to find it through friends who have gone home to see relatives.

Plus, for cooking, it is not just sacrilege, there is some technical reason, more refined oils do not break down like Oilve does, it goes from being super healthy to unhealthy if you fry it.

the fresh unfiltered oil is what my greek freinds would bring home from greece and their source has a very long and difficult waiting list and as they told me, if I cook with it I wont get any more cause it isn't "that" kind of olive oil

my grandparents were italian and spansih immigrants respectively but they have never brought anything over like this, not that it doesn't exist but the answer the question of the best I have had

Original italian olive oils taste better then spanish olives oils ...thats a fact !!
Light and fruity from Liguria and Toscana ( lemony...green grass like ) to
heavy and deep from the south like Puglia ( peppery and full body olive taste ).
The micro climates zone from Nord to South of Italy makes the taste difference + coldpressed and unfiltered oil are quite a big plus point.
However you are right many italian companies do buy spanish and moroccan olives to put in their "italian extravergine".

Olive oil is used to cook italian food ( yes some of the flavors get lost ..but sauces taste better with olive oil ) ..we just add small ammount into the frying pan and then indulge a lot more over meat or pasta .

Pasta Amatriciana :
pice of smoked bacon ( original is with smoked pork cheek )
1 glass white wine
1 clove of garlic ( not chopped)
1 onion
1 leaf of laurel
1 tinned San Marzano pelati
Parmigiano or pecorino
Spaghetti

Slice the onions and chop the bacon, add 3 tbl spoon of olive oil and fry gently .
After 2minutes add the garlic
When the onions, the bacon and the garlic are gold brown add the white wine and keep frying until the wine is reduced and then add the pelati + the laurel.
When the sauce is ready mix with pasta and then add olive oil on top + parmigiano or pecorino ( the hard goat cheese )
Buon appetito

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
According to New Study Most Extra Virgin Olive Oils Are Fake

According to New Study Most Extra Virgin Olive Oils Are Fake

Well, we are feeling seriously duped right now. According to two new studies by researchers at UC Davis, an estimated 69 percent of all store-bought extra virgin olive oil in the U.S. is fake.

Researchers analyzed 186 extra virgin olive oil samples against standards established by the International Olive Council (IOC), as well as methods used in Germany and Australia.

Here's what they found: Of the top-selling "extra virgin" olive oil brands, 73 percent of the samples failed the IOC sensory standards. Failing can mean the samples are oxidized, of poor quality, and/or adulterated with cheaper refined oils.

The brands that failed to meet the extra virgin olive oil standards include: Bertolli, Carapelli, Colavita, Star, and Pompeian. In other words, major brands.

According to Consumer Reports: "In Europe, the 'extra virgin' label is strictly regulated and requires, among other things, that the oil is produced by cold processing (mashing or slicing), meets certain standards for acidity and other characteristics, and is free of taste defects. But those standards are voluntary in the U.S., and manufacturers or importers can use the 'extra virgin' label on oils that are subpar or have been stored improperly, which can degrade their quality."

One tip for getting great olive oil, is to check the harvest date on the bottle. Which is something we will be doing a lot more often thanks to this information.

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/wait-according-study-most-extra-virgin-olive-oils-224300091.html