What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Coliseum On The Cheap

blackone

Veteran
Still I would be worried about the water dripping / flowing down the sides of the pots, perhaps even splashing onto the leaves. But perhaps it's not an issue?

2stoge

Good idea, thanks for sharing.

I like it too

You could cut little grooves in the bottoms and tops of the buckets where they rest on each other so that they interlock :wave:

Gravity isnt your enemy here. Use it to your advantage

Nice suggestion.

BIGGS

Veteran
looking good mate. but don't the top buckets run off go onto the buckets below them?

should just use hydroton and make it reciculating hydro. your pump woul only have to water the top row and the rest gravity will do.. id also buy the half height 3 gallon buckets insted.. for vert to be really efficent you must have high plant numbers..

to catch the runoff you just have to double up the bottom buckets and add drains on hoses back to the res...

smallfry707

PSSSSSHHHH ur a poser... u aint a real poorboy .. those are dual arc bulbs and they cost mad money... =] on a more serious note.. really would like to see the yield on this grow.. props

omenman

ahh damm very clever..im suprize somone hasnt thought of that befor..to hold the thing together..2 words...duck tape.....a few rolls of that and those buckes wouldnt be going anywhere...where did you get that screen..i may have to try this. out some day...

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
ahh damm very clever..im suprize somone hasnt thought of that befor..to hold the thing together..2 words...duck tape.....a few rolls of that and those buckes wouldnt be going anywhere...where did you get that screen..i may have to try this. out some day...

Duct tape wouldn't work for long, the adhesive wouldn't last. Read the thread, he wired the buckets to the inside cage. The screen is concrete reinforcement screen. Once again, read the thread, and you'll find the answers to your question. ;)

PoorBoy

I was waiting until I was ready to flip to 12/12 before posting an update, but I'm still in veg right now. I had planned to flip a few days ago, but it still doesn't seem full enough to me. With the big pots, I have alot of space between plants. I think I will yield better letting them bush a little more and fill the empty spots. Could I please get some feedback on this from those of you who have done grows like this before?

Yes, the buckets are dripping into the buckets below, but this isn't an issue. The plants are sitting close to the edges of the buckets, then pushed out and through the wire frame so they aren't being dripped on at all.

The plants were looking a little nitrogen deficient. I had only been giving them straight water as I thought the compost might be too hot already. I hit them with a 20/20/20 fertilizer and they are greening back up nicely. I'm in a third world country. The good fertilizers and soil additives are impossible to come by here. No bloodmeal, bonemeal, hydroton, or even perlite to be found. A big bag of potting soil costs $48 :laughing: I made a massive composter that has three sections of 4.5 cubic meters each. I have enough compost now to last me forever.

sito007

poor boy you should try zip tying the main stem strait up and let the branches come out that way you have the area fully covered . you can get worm droppings and help the growth

pong

i am doing something very similar to this CHEERS!

i stumbled on this thread and was like damn that guy is cheap like mEE!!

haha except i am doing it differently. i am vegging plants in square pots that fit their bottom ends direcltly onto one of the horizontal wires and stick out at an angle outwards away from the center of the cylinder.

these are held on by wire and are easily removable for flushing once every 2 weeks.

6 plants per 600W. 2 of them are stacked in a cooltube setup! i am veging now untill the canopy is full then we are TO 12 12 !!!!!

aiming for a green christmas!!