What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Coliseum On The Cheap

really great low tecc idea
im also a little worried about the access later when plants get bigger and closer to the bulbs, but maybe that can be solved by later lowering a wire tube with a diameter just about burn limit and smaller mesh size?

i was thinking of something similar to this for my winter project so ill keep an eye on this thread

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
You could easily put the thing on two half circles cut out of think plywood with wheels. Make a hinge so you can split the whole thing open. I think you definitely need to figure out a way in there. If you haven't already that is. Very clever idea though. Will be watching for sure.

PoorBoy

The plants are loving this compost. They're really taking off now. I prefer dirt over hydro. I've done both, dirt is just easier and more forgiving. It would be easy to install dripper tubes on here, but I find it easy to hand water from the outside with a wand.

This system doesn't allow me to get into it, but I can reach in from the outside between the buckets. I think I will be able to hook onto any wayward growth and tie it back if I need to. Hopefully this won't become an issue. If so, I will have to look at incorporating a scortch screen in V2.0

I normally run 3200w in this room in a flat garden without heat problems, so the 1800 going now barely warms the room. Helps when you have 70 degree ambient temps and no need to close the door.

The wire mesh on this thing is much stronger than it must appear in the pics. I could step up onto it without it bending or tipping over.

how do you collect the drainage? What do you plan on doing when it c omes time to flush. I flush every two weeks, and i couldnt imagnine how i would do that with this setup

Very nice!
I showed a pic of something similar back on the old AN site when the idea came to me one day. I just mocked up a 3 level 1gal pot circular stack just like yours for the pic...never actually grew one out....I was dabbling with stadium at the time.

I too am concerned about interior access and runoff containment....tho I have done grows before with no direct plant interaction and no runoff...lol...in the end, I prefer plant access and runoff.

M

Micro420

Very nice dude. This is something special and not in the bad way. Seriously def. keep up with pics on this.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Excellent grow poorboy, really inventive and clever despite the restricted budget, I love it.

this is what i love about the internet. Here we have a grower who was inspired about vert trying a brand new concept that has not been seen before. Based on your success we will be able to either copy or improve on your design and everyone can benifit. Keep it up. I will be watching this one FOR SURE!

So true, the frame is a real, cheap, winner.

I know it might look a bit silly, but you could run a few courses of duct tape around each row, to prevent them from being able to move and thus fall...

The problem with Duck Tape is that heat often screws it up, the glue dries and it drops off and falls apart, I prefer to use plastic covered wire and zip ties where I can.

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
The problem with Duck Tape is that heat often screws it up, the glue dries and it drops off and falls apart, I prefer to use plastic covered wire and zip ties where I can.

Very true, zip ties are awesome. You can find large ones at HVAC supply stores, and by attaching them end to end, can make a HUGE ziptie. I think that or rope would be poorboys best bet, IMO. Either way, a super innovative grow. Stonervation for the win! :D

choch

This method would work well with hempy buckets, using a tube as a water level indicator (rather than a drain hole) so there is no runoff unless you want it...

PoorBoy

I really like the ziptie idea. I think that would be the ideal way to secure these.

My pots have holes in the bottom and just run onto the floor. It's concrete with a drain.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I really like the ziptie idea. I think that would be the ideal way to secure these.

My pots have holes in the bottom and just run onto the floor. It's concrete with a drain.

Cool, but if you can stick it into something covered like a pipe, you will lower [possible] humidity, reducing potential problems later on. Try to cover up all water as much as possible, if you ever end up too dry, it is easy to add humidity.

Latest posts

Latest posts