What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best coco Nutrient? Advanced, Canna, OR H&G

A

AdmiralRed

I have been using Lucas in my coco grows of late and really like the results. I don't follow it to a T, rather have made some of my own additions and changes. With that being said, I have not tried any of the fore mentioned nutrients, but might do a run with AN soon just to see if I am really missing out on anything.

AR

D

DEDHEDFRED

Couple yrs. ago my `ol krusty bucket buddy BlueHaze started a thread named GH and coir........He was growin 1 lb. plants with GH 3 part at half-strength in 5 gal. buckets inside another bucket catching and draining the runoff hand watered DTW once a day to 10-15% runoff with massive results ........7.5 ml grow , 5 ml micro , and 2.5 ml bloom during veg and the exact opposite once the stretch is almost done(2nd-3rd wk. flower) till last week before chop.......I use 1/2 tapwater mixed with R/O for the cal/mag ,silicablast and sm-90 @ 5 ml per gal. on a weekly basis and that`s it........I can`t bring myself to do away with the "grow" and adapt to lucas or Head`s formula but who knows.......Maybe I`ll try em...........maybe not......Hardta stop usin what works so well.......Ya`ll take care...........DHF.......... :joint: ..........

A

AdmiralRed

Give a limited, balanced nute schedule like Lucas or H3ad a shot. Seriously good stuff and cheap on the pocket. The smaller your nute collection, the better a grower you are. At least IMHO!

AR

MoleMcHenry

Buffalo Brown said:
Mole, did you have to add any cal or mg with Algoflash? Im looking for just a one part fert--also on coco.

Hey BB - I didn't use any cal-mag or anything when I used Algoflash. It's pretty good stuff, but I think I like it better on soil.

Good luck with your grow!
Mole

theoldmaindrag

per liter or per gallon?

per liter or per gallon?

DEDHEDFRED said:
Couple yrs. ago my `ol krusty bucket buddy BlueHaze started a thread named GH and coir........He was growin 1 lb. plants with GH 3 part at half-strength in 5 gal. buckets inside another bucket catching and draining the runoff hand watered DTW once a day to 10-15% runoff with massive results ........7.5 ml grow , 5 ml micro , and 2.5 ml bloom during veg and the exact opposite once the stretch is almost done(2nd-3rd wk. flower) till last week before chop.......I use 1/2 tapwater mixed with R/O for the cal/mag ,silicablast and sm-90 @ 5 ml per gal. on a weekly basis and that`s it........I can`t bring myself to do away with the "grow" and adapt to lucas or Head`s formula but who knows.......Maybe I`ll try em...........maybe not......Hardta stop usin what works so well.......Ya`ll take care...........DHF.......... :joint: ..........
i am going to give this a try next grow. i grow trees around 600 w lights hanging vertically. i figure why spend 500$ on canna if this method has been tried and works. my question is , your measurements are per gallon or per liter or what?? just to be sure. thanks

Lord Dangly Bit

Hello everyone. I have had three crops now in COCO. I have been useing Iguanna Juice with Mothers Earths Tea and have had some very good results. But after readying people talking about Canna A&B I went to their sight to read up on it. They Suggest to also use Monkey Juice from AN Along with the CANNA A/B. Has anyone tried this?

I am new to this sight and really love that you guys have a frorum on COCO. Great site everyone. :jump:

W

weedpureweed

I like the ionic coco nutes, one part so nice and easy, it has added humic.

G

Greyskull

Lord Dangly Bit said:
Hello everyone. I have had three crops now in COCO. I have been useing Iguanna Juice with Mothers Earths Tea and have had some very good results. But after readying people talking about Canna A&B I went to their sight to read up on it. They Suggest to also use Monkey Juice from AN Along with the CANNA A/B. Has anyone tried this?

I am new to this sight and really love that you guys have a frorum on COCO. Great site everyone. :jump:

Please provide the link - I 'live" at the canna sites and never seen a mention of "Monkey Juice".

http://www.canna-hydroponics.com/
http://www.canna.nl/english/index1.html
http://www.canna-uk.com/

Mahalo

Lord Dangly Bit

GreySkull, I thought i was on the official Canna Site, but I was on a third part sells site. Here it is anyway.
http://www.hydroasis.com/hy/productdetail.aspx?id=1042&product=canna-coco-b-1-liter

Wish I could attach photos. I think they are restricting me from doing it because I am new to the site. I started with Coco 3 crops ago with out finding any advice from people. I wanted a Organic type nutrient so I went with Igunna Juice and Mother Earths tea. I vegged my rooted cuttings for 10 days. At about 5 days I topped them, at 7 days I clipped off all the lower 1/3 branches and leafs. I know have these nice short plants with 3-6 nice Colas each. I got very tired of the 5 days straight at 4 hours each night of nothing but Snip,Snip,Snip. This is my first crop I have tried this technic and I am loveing it so far. We will see come Harvest day.

Last edited:

Lord Dangly Bit

Ok, I think I am changeing over to Canna CoCo Nuts. These are organic nuts,right? So should I keep the PPM low, like at about 800-900? This is what I have been doing with the Iguanna Juice and I have had great results.

Lord Dangly Bit

Why Change? Because I have always wondered about how soil and CoCo works different. Uptake of Nuts, Breaking down of these nuts, all this stuff. And then I saw Monkey juice in my hydro store, which is for CoCo also and thought, HMMM. this might work nice, but hey. I have no one to tell me how it has worked for them. So I skipped it. then I I read all your guys's threads on this and that. I have found no one that grows in CoCo that has any understanding of how it works. I am the biggiest success story in COCO I have seen. And I know there is better growers out there. Just because someone got a nice harvest out of nothing but Miracle Grow Time released soil, does that mean they should stick with just that? I say HELL NO!!! I think I can do better in my COCO crops with a Nutrient based on COCO growing. Who knows, maybe I do have the best possible methid of growing CoCo, but I at least want to try what you are all talking about in at least one crop. What can it hurt. I know with out a doubt that most of the people on this site know what they are talking about. The plants you see in my gallery are plants I had no thought of growing during the summer. Where I live the days very very, very hot. Like 118-123F. It was a cool summer this year, only saw 115F. It cost to much money to run multiple 1,000 watters in doors heating the house and then pay to cool it also. But during the fall, winter and spring, I can have my grow room totally heat my house for free. But I had a couple of plants at the end of spring, and I was wanting to give organics a try, then CoCo fell into the mix and Walla, now you have one more grower falling in love with CoCo. This stuff is about impossible to screw up. Anyway, short story long, I am looking into Canna CoCo to see if I can better my growing technic. I am so new to CoCo, and have no one that knows it around me. All my friends grow in Soil and Hydro. Also the plants in my gallery are only about 20 inches tall.

I by no means try to say that I know all. This is why I like to try new things. Especially if i have groups of people talking about how great something is that I have not tried. I do not grow for profit, I do not have anyone but myself waiting for my harvest. I grow mine for only personal us. Well, ok,, So I share. Pfft!!!! Arrest me!!!! :dueling:

Gregor_Mendel asks me, If you have great results with Iguana Juice, why change? Well, If You were running a Dragster, and you were hitting like 8.5 Second Quarter miles, and you thought you might shave some time off by changeing something. Wouldn't you at least give it a try?

I would like to someday Have a lean, Mean, Growing Machine. Not a Factory, just a little machine.

C

Ca2

Hi all cultivators! I'm like you coco lover. I've on my skill schedule five grows in coco substratum. Never ever soil!
For this grow I buy Hesi Coco Start Pack.
. HESI-COCO 1L,
. HESI-PK 13/14 1L,
. HESI-TNT COMPLEX 0,5L,
. HESI-ROOT COMPLEX 0,5L,
. HESI-POWER ZYME 0,5L,
. HESI-SUPER VIT 10ml.

Anyone test this pack? What result they do?

R

riverrat7

My local guys reckon canna coco nutes are too slow in vegative stage. Said I should use canna vega instead. Ive been using it for a year now with pretty good success. The fact that canna coco nutes are both veg and flower throws me off some what.

J

JackKerouac

Having used AN monkey juice, I mostly say it is overpriced crap. CNS17 was developed by Dr. Lynette Morgan and is $60 for a gallon of grow and a gallon of bloom. The only other thing it needs is a PK kicker in late flower or humics/fulvics if you are growing different veggies on your table through flower.

Don't believe the hype. Fundamentals win ball games.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Mr. Burgundy said:
Anyone else using Bio Bizz with Coco?

Yes, have done that. I've equally used GH 3 part, Canna Coco A+B and Advanced Nutrients Monkey Juice.

You have to learn how to use these nutrients, and equally learn how to use coco coir as a grow medium. Then you need to grow the same 'test plant' with them. Once done, you can compare their performances.

BioBizz nutrients are organic, so they fall in a category of their own. They're very good, but it's clear that in terms of growth and later yield, they fall behind the mineral based nutrients in terms of growth speed. I've also had what resembles Mg deficiency with BioBizz nutes in veg.

Of the three mineral based nutrients, Canna Coco A+B outperformed Monkey Juice, and GH 3 part outperformed both Monkey Juice and Canna Coco, in terms of growth, yield, plant health and ph issues.

Some might find that strange since both Monkey Juice and Canna Coco are Coco specific nutes, while GH 3 part isn't.

I would counter this by saying that the need for Coco specific nutrients are marginal and exaggerated by nutrient manufacturers. I'll give you an example with a hilarious text posted by Advanced Nutrients (on their web site) on Monkey Juice - that gets it more or less all wrong:

http://www.advancednutrients.com/landing_pages/monkey_juice_bloom_AB_landing.html

"Coco Coir is a fantastic new root zone media made from spun coconut hulls, but it won’t do you any good if you use regular hydroponics fertilizers with it."

-Oh yes you can, total bullshit.

"You can’t use regular hydroponics fertilizer in coco coir and get good results. That’s because coco coir has unique chemical properties and water-holding characteristics that cause problems with regular fertilizers."

-Aha. So why does a non-coco specific nutrient outperform your coco specific nutrient?

"... if you use regular hydroponics fertilizers in coco coir gardens, you’ll get decreased growth rates and smaller harvest size. Coco “locks up” some nutrients while over-releasing others. It has to be properly fertilized and pH- balanced or it can skew nutrient availability so plants grow slowly and produce less."

-Let's take a look at what Advanced Nutrients claims.

The "unique chemical properties" AN mentions refers to the Cation Exchange Capacity of the coco fibers. Cations are positively charged ions (An ion is an atom or molecule which has lost or gained one or more valence electrons, giving it a positive or negative electrical charge.), such as Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium. The grow medium (coco coir) will hold these ions in a matrix, releasing them as absorbed by plants. The thing is, until the CEC of the growing media is filled, the growing media may hold positively charged nutrient ions, most notably calcium, in reserve, making them less available to plants.

Coco 'specific' nutrients therefore tend to have elevated levels of calcium and magnesium while having lower levels of nitrogen.

Nevertheless, this is not such a big deal. Plant science shows that plants - when ion uptake of a certain nutrient decreases - increases its efforts in assimilating a particular nutrient, and therefore to a certain extent compensate for the loss.

Also, the CEC of the coir media is quickly filled, and actually assists Ca absorption during flower. Some additional Ca/Mg or the right kind of bat Guano mixed into the coir media in the initial phase of veg is all it takes if the CEC is low.
But manufacturers of coco coir have thought of this problem, and nowadays, most high quality coco coir have been chemically pre-treated to satisfy the CEC of the growing media. With other words, the problem has been solved right from the start.

What does AN refer to when it talks about "coco's unique water holding characteristics causing problems with the uptake of regular hydroponic nutrients"? Maybe one of their hotshot PhD's can get online and explain that one.
The unique water holding capacities of coco coir refers to its particular fiber structure. Compared to for instance peat, the coconut fibers are tougher and coarser, which means that more airspace is available for drainage and to supply the root zone with higher levels of atmospheric oxygen (O2). Still, it can absorb eight or nine times its own weight of water, and is immedaitely absorbing, even in a completely dry state.

How the coco will react to regular hydroponic nutrients depends on the composition of the nutrient and the quality/mineral content of the water.

"More and more growers are finding out that using Advanced Nutrients Monkey Juice Bloom is the only way to properly fertilize blooming plants in coco coir hydroponics gardens"

-That's a bold statement, claiming that Monkey Juice is the "only way to properly fertilize blooming plants in coco coir".

Got any REAL science to back up your sales pitch?

Sorry for the rant kids, but I just had to get this off my chest.

Last edited:

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
I agree with you Cheeks.

I wish AN would stop with the expensive double page full colour marketing hype and maybe lower their prices or something....bloody con game.

I'd like to see them try to tell Grat3ful H3ad that you can't do hydro nutes with coco :badday:

11083MSSxSB101.jpg

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Blockhead grown in coco with GH 3 part.

Oh wait; you can't grow with regular hydroponic nutrients in coco and get good results... AN said so :D

Last edited: