What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Brand Of Coco Coir Today

A couple years ago I tested Canna coco and B'cuzz coco and both had no increase in PPM and no PH change in the runoff.

Since then I've read about people getting high PPM runoff in B'cuzz, and I bought a bag and it syas on the bag that they add some nutrients.

I never wash my coco, if I did have to I'd probably use some other medium. I use Canna mostly, straight out of the bag, I pot up dry, and water the newly potted plants and new coco at the same time. Never had any problems doing it this way with Canna for years now, and the one run I did with B'cuzz I never had issues either.

I DID note however, with Canna coco, when potting up, I watered with like 800ppm solution, and the runoff came out like 600ppms, so the coco grabbed some of the nutrients.
Because of this, when I pot up, I use close to full strength nutes right off, and I use 4 or 5ml/gal Cal Mag (I usually use 2 or 3ml/gal every watering) for the first couple waterings.

Potting up has been seamless, the plants take right off in their new pots without any deficiencies.

I've been using GH 0-6-9 base nutes with addatives in coco for a while now.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi evlme2,

I dont get it. I just went and tested my tds meter (truncheon) and it read 0 in RO and 2.0-2.1 in 4-5 liters of runoff.

I went and got this Botanicare bag because I was not satisfied with my first ever purchase of a generic 5 kg brick at HD about a week ago. I thought it was too fine and retained too much water. It was only 0.4 EC at worst.

This coco wil be used in a passive hydro bucket and the max EC will be around 1.0 I think.

What do I do now? Sacrifice a chicken to the coco gods?
OO

If you read the label on the bag, it doesnt say anything about it needing to be rinsed/washed.... ITS PREWASHED!

fill n go.... its easy not hard not many steps

Dont worry about the runoff USE THE FORCE pot up your plants check your nutrient solution and give them some food

i say this, because I DONT CHECK MY RUNOFF, EVER. I just collect it and throw on the flowers & plants in the yard.

I want to say i learned the 'no check run off' rule froim Cannas materials... not sure if it was something i read or if it was in the canna coco video...

CocoGro_1.5BagBackLabel.png

U4EA

One other thing I don't like about Botanicare is that it's 42.4L... sometimes that matters 'cuz you'll see some stores trying to charge the same for a less quantity of an inferior product.

OG4ME

A couple years ago I tested Canna coco and B'cuzz coco and both had no increase in PPM and no PH change in the runoff.

Since then I've read about people getting high PPM runoff in B'cuzz, and I bought a bag and it syas on the bag that they add some nutrients.

I never wash my coco, if I did have to I'd probably use some other medium. I use Canna mostly, straight out of the bag, I pot up dry, and water the newly potted plants and new coco at the same time. Never had any problems doing it this way with Canna for years now, and the one run I did with B'cuzz I never had issues either.

I DID note however, with Canna coco, when potting up, I watered with like 800ppm solution, and the runoff came out like 600ppms, so the coco grabbed some of the nutrients.
Because of this, when I pot up, I use close to full strength nutes right off, and I use 4 or 5ml/gal Cal Mag (I usually use 2 or 3ml/gal every watering) for the first couple waterings.

Potting up has been seamless, the plants take right off in their new pots without any deficiencies.

I've been using GH 0-6-9 base nutes with addatives in coco for a while now.

PUFF, I AM WITH YOU 100%.

MY VOTE FOR BEST BRAND OF COCO TODAY IS CANNA.

oldone

taste?

taste?

Thanks all for your experiences. The Botanicare coco was all I could get, my local 'dro shop was all out of everything else.

Out of curiosity, I tasted the runoff and its was not salty at all. I have never done this before.

How salty should 2.0 EC (1000ppm @ .5) taste? I know its difficult to quantify but I assumed it would be noticeable...

Thanks,
OO

U4EA

Anyone know what the wholesale cost on the loose bagged coco is? Particularly after freight, etc. What does a typical store profit on these? I get 'em for about $20 a sack, used to be able to get 'em at $16 about a year ago. (Atami/B'Cuzz)

:wave:
bio bizz makes a cocos mix, it's not pure cocos...
I've tried out biobizz, canna cogr and the b'cuzz bounce blocks
.. imo
canna & b'cuzz provide a very good Coco coir
:tiphat:
I don't think that's right. It's called coco mix but it's all coco I believe. Anyway, I guess I have to vote against it.
The Canna Pro that I used before was much better in my opinion.
I won't use BioBizz again unless I cannot get the Canna Pro. Sur would like to get some croutons in Europe.

Out here in California I have purchased Canna coco for around $19/bag if I buy more than ten at once. While we're at it, I have purchased #2 Smart Pots for $3.00/each in bulk from another local shop.
I have not purchased coco online, so I cannot speak to freight. At horticulturesource I found the Roots brand #2 fabric pots for $1.79/each.

hope that helps
H

K

kannubis

coco tek red mixed bricks from gh have done well for me with no rinsing, i only expand with hot tap water and into the mixing bin it goes
4 bricks $2.49 each + 10 2 gallon grow bags $.13 each fill 2/3 with coco and some leftover perlite and tharr she grows matey
gh micro & bloom for the (low-dough) win or you can add organics if you like

C

Carl Carlson

adding coco chips to the pith + fiber mix increases the air porosity and decreases the water holding capacity.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
adding coco chips to the pith + fiber mix increases the air porosity and decreases the water holding capacity.

i have to disagree on this one... i find that fine coco will hold a good amount of water... there for i cut it with coco chips and smaller shreds of coco and i find that it cut down the water holding capacity alot....

1/4 bottom of pot is chips and fibers and the rest is about a 50/50 mix of b cuzz fine coco and rinsed peace coir blocks from sun leaves....

C

Carl Carlson

Poopy, you quoted me, just had to disagree and than repeated what I said.

and decreases the water holding capacity

vs.

cut down the water holding capacity alot....

Seriously?